The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 3rd March 2010
  #3301
Gear Nut
 
Flexable's Avatar
Thanx! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 6th March 2010
  #3302
Gear interested
 

OMFG

i have been trying to solve my problem with the n8 and the new drivers for hours and hours,through heaps of forum posts!
and then i found wiseg!Dude i signed up to this forum just to say thankyou so very fkn much!now i can actually get sound from my n8!thumbsup
Old 9th March 2010
  #3303
Gear Nut
 
terence's Avatar
 

n12 - Can't play Sibelius Scorch midi

I'm very happy with my n12, using Cubase 5 with the FW driver and Windows XP. But I am unable to play embedded midi scores, such as Scorch on this PC. In Windows Audio Devices the n12 is set to MIDI OUT, but I'm not sure what else to mess with. I have no problem playing other formats outside the DAW - mp3s, wavs etc - using Media Player or other generic programs. I use the n12 exclusively for audio and have no internal sound card. I have set-up and used Scorch scores on other PCs without a hitch, so this seems to be an n12-Steinberg driver specific glitch.

Any pointers guys on how to play these kind of things through the N8/12 - and is it even possible? Do I an need an additional midi utility or something? As much as (I think) I know about Cubase I am a bit clueless about this Windows system stuff.



Cheers,
Terence
Old 9th March 2010
  #3304
Gear Addict
 

Hi I all just posted this elsewhere on gearslutz, but just found this thread. I am need a new mixer/interface control surface. (details below) n12 question with C5, can I control the Cubase mixer with the faders? Thanks.

repost below (describing my situation)

14 years later my Digital 328 just blew its PSU. I am looking for a replacement mixer/control surface and have done a bit of research and wanted to get an opinion on the n12 from anyone here who has it.

My hardware current setup:

Digital328
Finalizer 96k
TC M3000 reverb
API 512c Mic Pres
Hammerfall 96/32

The hammerfall only has XP drivers, so that I wont necessarily miss it if the new solution uses firewire etc.

My recording chain now is API pre --> Finalizer (for A/D) -> Hammerfall

I also use the M3000 as an external effect in Cubase (using one set of toslink in and out on the 96/32)

I use the Digital 328 now for
1) Midi controller for Cubase, VSTis
2) Monitor output from Cubase via 96/32
3) Output to speakers and headphones
4) Analog inputs for monitoring while recording (analog out from finalizer)
5) Analog inputs for direct boxes and things like a ToneLab for my guitar.

I am just gun shy with any steinberg linked product as I fear Steinberg will shift directions again and drop support for the n12.

I don't know if I am better off getting an n12? or a firewire audio device and control surface and small analog mixer.

I really want to be able to continue to use teh M3000. Not sure how that would work with a firewire mixer like the n12.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions. I haven't looked at the mixer end of things in forever.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10th March 2010
  #3305
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithman21 View Post
Originally Posted by faithman21
Fixed my issue finally!

Anyone have drops consider Lenvo (IBM thinkpad) T500 . It comes with XP PRO SP3 and fast. No firewire drops anymore.
So happy that i did not buy apple


False alert. It still dropping on that one too. Gave up finally!
Still happy you didn't buy that Apple? LOL!

Last edited by mcmacguy; 10th March 2010 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: addendum
Old 10th March 2010
  #3306
Gear nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
Hi I all just posted this elsewhere on gearslutz, but just found this thread. I am need a new mixer/interface control surface. (details below) n12 question with C5, can I control the Cubase mixer with the faders? Thanks.

repost below (describing my situation)

4 years later my Digital 328 just blew its PSU. I am looking for a replacement mixer/control surface and have done a bit of research and wanted to get an opinion on the n12 from anyone here who has it.

My hardware current setup:

Digital328
Finalizer 96k
TC M3000 reverb
API 512c Mic Pres
Hammerfall 96/32

The hammerfall only has XP drivers, so that I wont necessarily miss it if the new solution uses firewire etc.

My recording chain now is API pre --> Finalizer (for A/D) -> Hammerfall

I also use the M3000 as an external effect in Cubase (using one set of toslink in and out on the 96/32)

I use the Digital 328 now for
1) Midi controller for Cubase, VSTis
2) Monitor output from Cubase via 96/32
3) Output to speakers and headphones
4) Analog inputs for monitoring while recording (analog out from finalizer)
5) Analog inputs for direct boxes and things like a ToneLab for my guitar.

I am just gun shy with any steinberg linked product as I fear Steinberg will shift directions again and drop support for the n12.

I don't know if I am better off getting an n12? or a firewire audio device and control surface and small analog mixer.

I really want to be able to continue to use teh M3000. Not sure how that would work with a firewire mixer like the n12.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions. I haven't looked at the mixer end of things in forever.

Thanks,

Greg

HI

Sorry, the N8/N12's faders don't control the Cubase mixer like a control surface, they can only be used for tracking or for manually controlling volume on playback. I use MIDI faders to do automation.

On the bright side, a Yamaha mixer will certainly last longer than 4 years!

Mick

Last edited by mcmacguy; 10th March 2010 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11th March 2010
  #3307
Gear Addict
 

Thanks for the reply. My message must have gotten got off (or typos) , I got 14 years out of the Digital 328!
Old 13th March 2010
  #3308
Gear maniac
 

anybody got any reaper templates?

this would be a helpful addition as i just downloaded the demo but cannot set up transport controls.
Old 19th March 2010
  #3309
Gear maniac
 

I can not for the life of me figure out why my N12 is showin up on this iMac but I can't get a new N8 to show up on he same system. I'm did the 1394 update and the firmware update. What am I missing? I think my Motif is suffering from the same thing because once again the N12 on my pc running XP but not the motif.
Old 21st March 2010
  #3310
Gear maniac
 

Bump... Kinda important question. Even though I have my N12 in this guys studio i need to get his plugged up.

I guess I may have to scour this thread tonight. If anynof you guys have any suggestions that would be great. Thanks,
Old 22nd March 2010
  #3311
Gear maniac
 

Seems like I'm doin everything right but this thing isn't showing up at all. I've done updates and resets time and time a again but the N8 just won't show up. What am I doing wrong? My N12 is doing just fine on these same setups.



oh and I think the firmware updated is supposed to say that the N8 is finished but or only ever says it's done. It does say "please wait until n8/n12 rebooting compeltion. The N12 reboots but the update program doesn't acknowledge this in any way.

I still hae anther N12 to update so I may have to do this one to figureout what I'm missing.
Old 22nd March 2010
  #3312
Gear maniac
 

have you booted the n8/n12 in update mode, if not scroll back a few pages where i post a pic showing you how to correctly boot the n and update
Old 23rd March 2010
  #3313
Gear maniac
 

I have and i get the same end results except the n8 goes through the motions and then reboots. I may have to try to do the update with my PC. Right now

I'm dreading the upcoming question on the status of this thing.
Old 23rd March 2010
  #3314
Lives for gear
 
DarbyOhara's Avatar
Yamaha Track Sheet Gone

Hi, where can I find a direct link to download the Yamaha Track Sheet which a few of you recommended early in the thread. The link on Yamaha's website seems to be broken. I'd like to check it out. If it is not that large, could someone post a template copy here? Thanks...
Old 23rd March 2010
  #3315
Lives for gear
 

Since you're also from S. MD, I'll send it thru.


Old 23rd March 2010
  #3316
Gear interested
 

Yamaha N12 mic pre-amps and SE R1 ribbon Mic

Guys, does anyone know if the N12 mic pres will have enough gain to be used with the SE R1 ribbon mic or any other ribbon mic for that matter??

Thanks
Old 24th March 2010
  #3317
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteam View Post
I suggest you move to the latest drivers. GL!
(updates sometimes solve problems)

Douglas
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your reply. My friend who owns the N12 is on a holiday right now but as soon as he's back in about 2 weeks, we'll (try to) update to the latest drivers and see if this will fix the issue. Fingers crossed...

Cheers.
Old 24th March 2010
  #3318
Lives for gear
 
DarbyOhara's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Since you're also from S. MD, I'll send it thru.


Thanks smoke. Appreciate the link.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the YamahaSynth website? Some links are broken. This track sheet link is broken. I also own the DTXExplorer drum set and I see on the website there is a some kind of pdf for the drum settings (I think that is what it is), but that link is broken too. So I can't download to see if I can use it or not. Then I hit the Contact button and it takes me to the Yamaha USA website. There I have to chose corporation, motor or electronics... sheesh!
Old 24th March 2010
  #3319
Gear maniac
 
Lemontree's Avatar
 

Just wanted to say.....

I was looking into the steinberg MR816X as a solution to running out of mic pres on my N12 when recording bands.

I picked up an old Yamaha MLA7 8ch mic/line amp on ebay



for £35 and strapped 4 of the outputs to the 9/10 & 11/12 inputs. Made a new template in cubase with 12 mono inputs and BOOM! This old piece of kit sounds amazing. Goes to show Yamaha have been building quality gear for a long time. The MLA7 was made to pair up with the old DMP7. Switchable phantom an 20db pad on every channel and 60db of seriously clean gain for the age of the thing.

Cubase template looks a bit like this

1: Vocals
2 Guitar 1
3 Guitar 2
4 Kick
5 Snare top
6 Bass
7 Overhead left
8 Overhead right
9 Rack tom 1
10 Rack tom 2
11 Floor tom
12 Snare bottom

I have the phantom on channels 5-8 on the N12 to power my overheads and sansamp BDDI for the bass, the 57 on the snare is taking phantom too but seems to be surviving ok.

Just saved myself £500
Old 25th March 2010
  #3320
Lives for gear
 
DarbyOhara's Avatar
Got my N12

Hey... I just got my new N12 yesterday. Spent a few hours hooking it up. I went from a Phonic Firewire mixer. I must say that this N12 rocks for sonics compared to the many other interfaces I've owned. I wish there was a better forum for just Yamaha, and particularly the N12/8. This thread is really hard to read through.

Of course I am just getting use to setting and hookups... but something I nothiced that I am totally disappointed with is the headphones output. I have the ST/OUT going thru my headphone amp and I have the CTRL/R going to my monitors (so I can turn them down while tracking). That is the way I always worked. But I hooked up my headphones to the headphones jack and it is terrible. It sounds like I am listening to my song thru a shoebox. Apparently Yamaha didn't put any innovation or effort into the headphone jacks and now I am find them useless. All I seen were great reviews of the N12, but never seen anyone comment on those jacks. Anyone else notice it?

But overall, this mixer is awesome. I was working on some older songs that I was having a really hard time mixing down and mastering... I just was not getting the sonics from my other interfaces. Now with the N12, I can clearly hear were I need adjustments. Btw, these are rock songs.

Maybe we should compromise together and start a Yamaha support forum? The only support forums are threads in gearslutz and a few others. But you have to weed through so many posts to find anything. Let me look into this and see if I can find something that would work... I've built many different websites and forums... but I'd rather find a free one and not have to pay for hosting, etc.

I'll let you know what I find... or if someone else has a better option or plan... let's talk about it...

~ Ed
Old 25th March 2010
  #3321
Lives for gear
 
DarbyOhara's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
Just wanted to say.....

I was looking into the steinberg MR816X as a solution to running out of mic pres on my N12 when recording bands.

I picked up an old Yamaha MLA7 8ch mic/line amp on ebay
Hey Lemontree... I am not sure what you are doing here. Could you explain it in layman's terms for me? I understand you bought the MLA7, but you are running it "out" of you mic pres on the N12? What do you mean by that.. and why?

Or do you mean you are using this MLA7 to interface between your mics and N12... and basically using it as a mic preamp? I just don't follow what you are trying to achieve and accomplish. Sorry for my noobie question. I am not new to recording but just new to the N12.
Old 25th March 2010
  #3322
Gear maniac
 
Lemontree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
Hey Lemontree... I am not sure what you are doing here. Could you explain it in layman's terms for me? I understand you bought the MLA7, but you are running it "out" of you mic pres on the N12? What do you mean by that.. and why?

Or do you mean you are using this MLA7 to interface between your mics and N12... and basically using it as a mic preamp? I just don't follow what you are trying to achieve and accomplish. Sorry for my noobie question. I am not new to recording but just new to the N12.

Your second guess was the right one.

8 mic pres on the N12, now I have 12 (and 4 spare)
Old 26th March 2010
  #3323
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
I wish there was a better forum for just Yamaha, and particularly the N12/8. This thread is really hard to read through.
and the reason i bailed on the prospect of buying the n12, at least for now. i relied on this thread to keep up on what appears to be serious driver issues which i want no part of. 3000 posts in a thread is ridiculous to try and keep up with. who would possibly have the time to search an n12, end up here, and read this russian novel like thread?
Old 26th March 2010
  #3324
Gear Maniac
 

I have been using my n-12 for over a year now,and it has been rock solid ,connects every time,and it sounds great .o problems jz
Old 26th March 2010
  #3325
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

been using oh about 3 years now on PC and MAC, never had a hitch.

great piece of kit, much better than the RME FF 800 i had in terms of sound and amount of stuff you get, drivers for me just as solid.

i am however now looking at the new R24 from A&H. THIS is what Yamaha should have brought us as the next step after the n12. i keep hoping for something like that

anyway, i do feel bad for those having issues but with the TI FW cards i have had in PC's and mac etc i just never had any troubles with the n12

and the one time it got flaky i did the cold reboot and it was fine
Old 27th March 2010
  #3326
Gear maniac
 
Lemontree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
been using oh about 3 years now on PC and MAC, never had a hitch.

great piece of kit, much better than the RME FF 800 i had in terms of sound and amount of stuff you get, drivers for me just as solid.

i am however now looking at the new R24 from A&H. THIS is what Yamaha should have brought us as the next step after the n12. i keep hoping for something like that

anyway, i do feel bad for those having issues but with the TI FW cards i have had in PC's and mac etc i just never had any troubles with the n12

and the one time it got flaky i did the cold reboot and it was fine

I was gonna get an A&HR whatever but the N12 came on the market first, not sorry. This puppy does all the tricks and more
Old 27th March 2010
  #3327
Gear Maniac
 

I am also keeping a eye on the allen heath r24,but who knows yamaha might release a n-24 who knows? It would be nice to have the extra inputs.jz
Old 27th March 2010
  #3328
Lives for gear
 
DarbyOhara's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
and the reason i bailed on the prospect of buying the n12, at least for now. i relied on this thread to keep up on what appears to be serious driver issues which i want no part of. 3000 posts in a thread is ridiculous to try and keep up with. who would possibly have the time to search an n12, end up here, and read this russian novel like thread?
Well, I can tell you that the new FW drivers that were released in feb 2010 are rock solid! Although I just got my N12, I have zero issues with the interface.

I am using Reaper. I installed the Cubase AI 4 and went thru the stupid and ridiculous ilock crap... got a verification code and entered into the ilock thingy and Cubase STILL wants me to register. The Steinberg website is about the most idiotic support I have ever witnessed tho. I am really disappointed in that.

Anyway, I have had many different DAW's since the early 90's. But the N12 is the best I ever heard or tracked with. The sonics are superior! I just wish there was better control surface support with Reaper. Everyone claims to use the Mackie setup, but only the play/rewind/ff work. Nothing else. So I am missing alot of features since I can't use the Cubase AI. Oh, and I downloaded the Cubase AI version 5 and tried to install it. Blah! It starts to install and bam! disappears! I think when Yamaha bought Steinberg, they should have totally cleaned house. That company is pathetic!

Anyway, I think the FW issues you've read are from the older drivers. These new feb 2010 drivers are great. Also, I am in a XP 64bit desktop. Maybe that is why Cubase doesn't work. I don't know...
Old 27th March 2010
  #3329
Lives for gear
 
Audio Hombre's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
Well, I can tell you that the new FW drivers that were released in feb 2010 are rock solid! Although I just got my N12, I have zero issues with the interface.

I am using Reaper. I installed the Cubase AI 4 and went thru the stupid and ridiculous ilock crap... got a verification code and entered into the ilock thingy and Cubase STILL wants me to register. The Steinberg website is about the most idiotic support I have ever witnessed tho. I am really disappointed in that.

Anyway, I have had many different DAW's since the early 90's. But the N12 is the best I ever heard or tracked with. The sonics are superior! I just wish there was better control surface support with Reaper. Everyone claims to use the Mackie setup, but only the play/rewind/ff work. Nothing else. So I am missing alot of features since I can't use the Cubase AI. Oh, and I downloaded the Cubase AI version 5 and tried to install it. Blah! It starts to install and bam! disappears! I think when Yamaha bought Steinberg, they should have totally cleaned house. That company is pathetic!

Anyway, I think the FW issues you've read are from the older drivers. These new feb 2010 drivers are great. Also, I am in a XP 64bit desktop. Maybe that is why Cubase doesn't work. I don't know...


thanks for the update! it's actually quite a relief. i totally agree with you about cubase / steiny, too. such an archaic company. i love how their stuff works (when it does work) but they are a pain to deal with.

guess i'll start looking harder at the n12 again now that i get some confirmation on the drivers. i need the n12 for remote stuff and do have TI chipset in my SIIG FW cardbuss.
Old 28th March 2010
  #3330
Gear maniac
 
Lemontree's Avatar
 

as for the new drivers...SOLID, this little N12 is making me money now. I feel able to trust it to get me through a session and what a sound it delivers. Clients are happy and thats all that matters to me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
justinhedrick / Low End Theory
20
calvizio / So much gear, so little time!
9
cynics1207 / So much gear, so little time!
1
Rea / So much gear, so little time!
0
xflava / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump