The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 5th February 2010
Gear maniac

no problem glad you got it up and running,

if any of you guys wish to donate some royalty free one shot drum samples please feel free to pm me,

as im always on the hunt for more sounds.
Old 8th February 2010
Gear interested

N8 drop outs issues

Hi Guys
I own a Yamaha N8 and updated the firmware on my sony vaio xp proffesional
with the latest drivers and firmware V2.51 with cubase AI 4.5

I am running to one issue:

When you play back or record there is drop out and it looks like a wait for 1sec then continue with the song.

Sometimes the play will stop by itself and the N8 will still have the play button on and green, then suddenly reboot very quick (noticed that from the compressor red buttons)

Looks like there is a drop connection between the firewire and the N8

Anyone find a solution for this ? I have tried to disable many devices and remove any shared IRQ as much as I could, tried increasing the buffer and it did not help .
Also i go to the FW control panel and tried to change the sample rate to 96 it reset to 44 when i open cubase 4.5 AI.

Thanks for any input!
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Head

Failed to open control panel

Hi, I came to my computer today and the yamaha driver stopped working, I get "Failed to open control panel" message. I'm on XP, everything worked fine till yesterday and I don't know about changing anything. I tried reinstalling the driver and reseting the n12, didn't help. Any ideas what to do? Thanks
Old 8th February 2010
Gear interested

At wits end

Been lurking here a while and enjoy the forums, but I've run into an issue for which I don't really see a solution.

Okay, here's the scoop:

At home I'm running an n8 with Propellerhead Record and Cubase 4.5 - works perfectly. Vista 32, ASUS Rampage Formula mobo, Intel Q6600, 4GB ram - rig is about 14 months old.

Here at the shop, I was trying to run an n8 through an older rodded-out Dell on Vista 32, 2GB ram, etc, same software, but I was getting random, minor audio drops using mLAN.

So I cleaned up the Dell, added a video card, more RAM, same result.

We upgraded the Firmware on the machine and the n8 to the Steinberg FW driver standard. Same issue. Exactly - not a lick of difference. Must be the computer, right?

So we built a new computer that's basically the same specs as my home rig, but a year newer, so... better. Running Windows 7 64-bit, 6GB ram, the thing hums. Unfortunately, it has the exact same dropouts, it's like we're still running it on the old machine.

At that point, I thought it might be the n8 - so we swapped it out for an n12, which arrived this morning, hooked it up, AND IT HAS THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!

Everything is updated - drivers, etc - we've tried the old mLAN, tried everything. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Just thought I'd share and vent a little, but if anybody knows anything, feel free to chime in.
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfacingsouth View Post
Been lurking here a while and enjoy the forums, but I've run into an issue for which I don't really see a solution.

Okay, here's the scoop:

At home I'm running an n8 with Propellerhead Record and Cubase 4.5 - works perfectly. Vista 32, ASUS Rampage Formula mobo, Intel Q6600, 4GB ram - rig is about 14 months old.

Here at the shop, I was trying to run an n8 through an older rodded-out Dell on Vista 32, 2GB ram, etc, same software, but I was getting random, minor audio drops using mLAN.

So I cleaned up the Dell, added a video card, more RAM, same result.

We upgraded the Firmware on the machine and the n8 to the Steinberg FW driver standard. Same issue. Exactly - not a lick of difference. Must be the computer, right?

So we built a new computer that's basically the same specs as my home rig, but a year newer, so... better. Running Windows 7 64-bit, 6GB ram, the thing hums. Unfortunately, it has the exact same dropouts, it's like we're still running it on the old machine.

At that point, I thought it might be the n8 - so we swapped it out for an n12, which arrived this morning, hooked it up, AND IT HAS THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!

Everything is updated - drivers, etc - we've tried the old mLAN, tried everything. I'm about to pull my hair out.

Just thought I'd share and vent a little, but if anybody knows anything, feel free to chime in.
This may be too obvious but here goes. Does the "home" setup still work?
Did you swap out the cables? Is the firewire interface (the chipset) the same on new shop computer?

Thats all I got... GL!

Douglas
Old 8th February 2010
Gear Maniac

2 n-12's

Can i daisychain two n12's together and use them in cubase ai4.5 and if so how do i monitor the 2nd n-12,i would assume i would have to take the stereo out of the second n12 and hard wire those inputs into 11&12 on the 1st n-12?Or is there a better way?jz PS i am on a macpro running leopard and i running the lastest yamaha/steinberg driver for my n-12.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Addict

+4/-10

is there a switch on some way to switch the n12 between +4/-10?
i'm having trouble with external pres over loading the n12.
i'm going into the insert, bypassing the n12's internal pres, going straight to the convertor.

any ideas?
i'm hoping i don't have to by a bunch of inline pads.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz View Post
Can i daisychain two n12's together and use them in cubase ai4.5 and if so how do i monitor the 2nd n-12,i would assume i would have to take the stereo out of the second n12 and hard wire those inputs into 11&12 on the 1st n-12?Or is there a better way?jz PS i am on a macpro running leopard and i running the lastest yamaha/steinberg driver for my n-12.
Somewhere in this thread someone uses 2 N12's. I use a N12 and a Steinberg MR816 daisychained, no problems.
For 'main-studio' monitors I would connect N12-1 main out to the stereo input (2TRK-IN) on the second N12.
And: connect the aux out of N12-1 to channel 11-12 of the second N12, but keep this fader down! use the aux send pot for adding this signal to the monitor mix.
(this way you have at least 1 latency-free aux send for the musicians)
Old 9th February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Christ View Post
i'm going into the insert, bypassing the n12's internal pres, going straight to the convertor.

any ideas?
If you insist on bypassing the internal pre's, you're stuck with Pro +4 level and you can't use the N12 pads. Either reduce the output level on the offending equipment or use inline pads - or use the N12 Pre's, they sound great!
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Head

Mattfacingsouth, for win7, don't forget to do this:

- Right click on the firewire host controller (1394) entry in the device manager and choose "Update Driver Software"

- Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"

- Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

- Select "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"
Old 10th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVerk View Post
Somewhere in this thread someone uses 2 N12's. I use a N12 and a Steinberg MR816 daisychained, no problems.
For 'main-studio' monitors I would connect N12-1 main out to the stereo input (2TRK-IN) on the second N12.
And: connect the aux out of N12-1 to channel 11-12 of the second N12, but keep this fader down! use the aux send pot for adding this signal to the monitor mix.
(this way you have at least 1 latency-free aux send for the musicians)
How do you have it setup with the mr816? and would it be a better fit.i also own a yamaha 01v96,so i thinking i could work it into the mix as well via adat lightpipe.Are you on a mac or pc?Thanks in advance.jz
Old 11th February 2010
Gear interested

Fixed my issue finally!

Anyone have drops consider Lenvo (IBM thinkpad) T500 . It comes with XP PRO SP3 and fast. No firewire drops anymore.
So happy that i did not buy apple
Old 11th February 2010
Gear interested

can i?

Can i use Yamaha N8 like a simple multichannel audio interface (like motu for example) for other DAW`s like Logic 9 or Renoise for example? I mean ASIO and CORE AUDIO support, is it well?
Old 12th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithman21 View Post
Fixed my issue finally!

Anyone have drops consider Lenvo (IBM thinkpad) T500 . It comes with XP PRO SP3 and fast. No firewire drops anymore.
So happy that i did not buy apple
False alert. It still dropping on that one too. Gave up finally!
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:

any ideas?
bump
Old 13th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

any ideas?
Pads will be required, unless you want to try to compensate with the faders (not recommended).
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Nut

Hi all,

I good friend of mine bought a new N12 last year. He's using Cubase AI4 with the 4.5.2 update. I updated the mLAN driver to version 1.6.3 for Windows XP 32 bit. Haven't made the jump to the latest FW driver version 2.5.1, yet.

The problem is that more often than not the Cubase ready light on the N12 doesn't come on when he starts Cubase. We are using the following sequence to start up his system:

1. Boot computer and wait for the blue driver icon in the lower right hand corner to stop flashing (3 times or so)
2. Power on N12 and wait for the same icon to stop flashing and remain blue.
3. Start Cubase and hope the record ready light comes on. 9 out of 10 ten times, it doesn't.

His work around is to close Cubase, reset the driver to the factory settings, switch back from 16 to 24 bit and start Cubase again. Then the light comes on.

Is there anything that we are doing wrong here and how could we solve this cumbersome procedure? Would updating to the latest Yamaha Steinberg FW driver V 2.5.1. and flashing the N12 cure this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 17th February 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Hi all,

I good friend of mine bought a new N12 last year. He's using Cubase AI4 with the 4.5.2 update. I updated the mLAN driver to version 1.6.3 for Windows XP 32 bit. Haven't made the jump to the latest FW driver version 2.5.1, yet.

The problem is that more often than not the Cubase ready light on the N12 doesn't come on when he starts Cubase. We are using the following sequence to start up his system:

1. Boot computer and wait for the blue driver icon in the lower right hand corner to stop flashing (3 times or so)
2. Power on N12 and wait for the same icon to stop flashing and remain blue.
3. Start Cubase and hope the record ready light comes on. 9 out of 10 ten times, it doesn't.

His work around is to close Cubase, reset the driver to the factory settings, switch back from 16 to 24 bit and start Cubase again. Then the light comes on.

Is there anything that we are doing wrong here and how could we solve this cumbersome procedure? Would updating to the latest Yamaha Steinberg FW driver V 2.5.1. and flashing the N12 cure this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

I suggest you move to the latest drivers. GL!
(updates sometimes solve problems)

Douglas
Old 20th February 2010
Gear interested

noise from computer when I turn N8 on

Hi guys, Just ot then N8 mixer. Got everything installed and it seems to be communicating with cubase fine.

I have 2 problems.

First I notice that all four lights for the compressor keep randomly cutting in and out. So all 4 lights will light up for a few seconds - which cuts the monitor out - for those few seconds whilst all the 4 compressor lights are on I can't hear anything back throuh headphones. Any ideas why this might be happening? This is when i've got a mic plugged in but am not even making any noise.

Secondly as soon as i start cubase up and it asks me to use the driver for the N8 my computer starts making a noise. It's kind of hight pitched - all i can say is it sounds like it's working really hard. It's a powerbook 4 - only 512 ram 1.67ghz.

Any ideas what this could be?
Old 21st February 2010
Gear interested

N12

New drivers realeased on 19 feb, very stable, no dropout, 5 hours tested and all is OK
Old 21st February 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for information.
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by valysound View Post
New drivers realeased on 19 feb, very stable, no dropout, 5 hours tested and all is OK

HI, Where are these drivers? Could this solve my problem?
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear Head

Drivers for download: Drivers and Software | Downloads | YamahaSynth.com

It's for windows, 32 and 64 bit. Nothing new for OSX. Which version is your OS? Firmware versions of N8? It looks like this mac is weak. Latency, buffer size? Try with bigger buffer size.
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks View Post
Drivers for download: Drivers and Software | Downloads | YamahaSynth.com

It's for windows, 32 and 64 bit. Nothing new for OSX. Which version is your OS? Firmware versions of N8? It looks like this mac is weak. Latency, buffer size? Try with bigger buffer size.
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I'm loving the mixer just a bit annoyed at it does cut out every now and then.

My os is 10.4.1.1. The mac only just meets minimum requirements so it may well be the problem.

I don't know about Latency/buffer size. I don't know where to check these out - sorry i'm very new to audio with computers.

I'm also not sure about what drivers/firmware to install. I installed eveything from the cd's that came with the N8...i've seen on the yamaha site that there are drivers/updates for all sorts of things (firmaware, ai drivers etc) and i'm not sure what to update. I'm a little worried as i read somewhere that if updating the firmware goes wrong that yamaha unit will be rendered un-usable.
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear maniac

i hav eread the new drivers induce more latency?

could users who upgraded post there latency figures before and after?

thanks to all the guys who sent me the single shot drums

fuuck
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear maniac

Upgraded, didn't notice any change in latency but the ASIO meter has dropped.

For some reason setting up a buss to AUX out doesn't send to the N12 aux buss like it did before. Apart from that......12 hour session was solid
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Maniac

Cubase 5/n-12

I just ordered the upgrade Ai4 to cubase 5 mac osx 10.5.8 leopard ,but after reading some of the posts ,i thinking i should stick with ai-4 4.5,should i return it? jz
Old 25th February 2010
Gear interested

By the way, I have a new N8 for sale if you're in the Los Angeles area (I don't want to ship it). A client is paying for a ProTools system for me so I don't need. I really like it though. Hit me up if you want one.

-Dave
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Nut

RE: Spikes, Dropouts, Crackling

Tags: Spikes, Dropouts, Crackling, n12, 8400m, asus f3s, windows 7

I have recently reformatted so i had another run at it.

Two things are causing DPC spikes -

a) wireless lan driver
b) latest nvidia drivers from laptop2go

Use this - http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml - DPC Latency Checker Tool

Disable the display adapter in device manager and see if that stops it.

Thanks Wiseg for all your help, could someone with some drum samples please send him some? Also someone else mentioned graphics drivers, but I just gave up and went back to xp. Couldn't find the post - thanks to that person also.

Going to see if i can find drivers that don't spike
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear Nut

OK Seems to be sorted! i downloaded the proper windows 7 driver for my notebook from nvidia, and i just disable wireless lan when audio recording.

For anyone with the same card it's -

195.62_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_international_whql
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search