The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Are you using the inserts?
Yes,i use the inserts of the N12.Is it normal that the gain still works?I thought that the inserts bypassed the N12's preamps.Also at this connection,the goldmike hit the reds very quickly without a linear response...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile Do I toss my 2408 mk3 and pre's??

So I just stumbled on a NEW n8 for $299! I just set it up in my practice room (as opposed to my separate studio) tied into Cubase, a Motif and a PC laptop. I am blown away by the quality!

So my question is, should I use this instead of my MOTU 2408MK3 in my main studio? I know the MOTU has more connections but I'm not really using them, so does anybody know how the n8 compares with jitter, signal-to-noise and stuff like that? And how it gets along with Digital Performer?

Thanks!
Dave, excited n8 owner
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolcino View Post
So I just stumbled on a NEW n8 for $299! I just set it up in my practice room (as opposed to my separate studio) tied into Cubase, a Motif and a PC laptop. I am blown away by the quality!

So my question is, should I use this instead of my MOTU 2408MK3 in my main studio? I know the MOTU has more connections but I'm not really using them, so does anybody know how the n8 compares with jitter, signal-to-noise and stuff like that? And how it gets along with Digital Performer?

Thanks!
Dave, excited n8 owner
OK ...THIS IS FROM MY FIRST WEEK OF N8 EXPERIENCE

i suggest u hook up the N8 IN your main studio environment to really hear the difference against the MOTU in terms of capturing and monitoring

i can tell you that the preamps are very CLEAN..meaning not leaning towards any frequency in particular (ofcourse your mic has its tone)

but the preamps do have a punch...maybe DYMANICS would be a better word...great for vocals and guitars.

the best thing is D-A conversion....my elements became very defined both in terms of FREQUENCIES and LOUDNESS...which led to better leveling and mixing.

seems like the LOWS are defined even slightly further...a great feature for mastering your mixes.

did wonders with the same pair of monitors in the same studio space.

note : it will make many hidden frequencies audible...any noise would be from your mic, sound files and most probably VSTs. N8 will let your hear the most tiniest and sensitive tweaks.

Good luck with your experimenting.
DO POST YOUR EXPERIENCE.

AND YEAH....DON'T FORGET THE DRIVER/FIRMWARE UPGRADES AND UPDATES.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaker View Post
Yes,i use the inserts of the N12.Is it normal that the gain still works?I thought that the inserts bypassed the N12's preamps.Also at this connection,the goldmike hit the reds very quickly without a linear response...
Are you plugging your cable in to just the first click? I'm not at home so I will look at this tonight.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
n12 inserts

Quote:
Are you plugging your cable in to just the first click? I'm not at home so I will look at this tonight.
No,i push the TRS full in the insert because i want the output of the Goldmike back to the n12.
I use this cable THE SSSNAKE YPX2030 - Greek International Cyberstore
My preamp is SPL GOLDMIKE 9844 - Greek International Cyberstore
Thank u very much for your interesting
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkok View Post
Before my last pc died the n12 ran perfectly with the via fw chipset ( in the yamaha list) so I can confirm its not just TI chipsets.

Anyway has anyone got the n12 working with win7 64 and cubase 5 without the BSOD when shutting down. Actually has anyone got it working with the 32bit version or is this the same?

I have win7 ready to install but waiting for the n12 driver. I did try with the RC win 7 but it was eratic and then the BSOD came back sigh!!
Yes it works as long as you're intalling the drivers from the yamaha website as if you would with vista...just closed the ...failed to initialize window and then double-clicked yfwaddvdev.exe in the yamaha folder and everything will work beautifully.....no BSOD or crash when opening or closing Cubase 5....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaker View Post
The inserts in the signal flow are directly before the A/D. Just for a good measure I did a little sanity test (although I don't have a Y cable like your using) and took the XLR out (using an XLR to 1/4 TRS cable) from an external pre and ran it in to an n12 insert channel and I get absolutely/positively no gain from the n12 preamp. Again, and what I don't understand is how can you get any gain when the pre is bypassed, since the insert channel is after the preamp and before the A/D.

Do you have any other preamps you could test? If you can't do what I'm doing then perhaps there could be a problem with your n12?

Keep us posted
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The inserts in the signal flow are directly before the A/D. Just for a good measure I did a little sanity test (although I don't have a Y cable like your using) and took the XLR out (using an XLR to 1/4 TRS cable) from an external pre and ran it in to an n12 insert channel and I get absolutely/positively no gain from the n12 preamp. Again, and what I don't understand is how can you get any gain when the pre is bypassed, since the insert channel is after the preamp and before the A/D.

Do you have any other preamps you could test? If you can't do what I'm doing then perhaps there could be a problem with your n12?

Keep us posted
I make it work the way you did it,but in this case i had to plug the mic directly into the input of the Goldmike so i had to remove the input of the Y cable from the goldmike.Yes ,in this scenario the gain doesn't work but i use only the output of the Y cable...
Hmm...i thought that the way that inserts works is to plug the mic into the mic input of the N12 and then use the Y cable to send the signal from the Insert of the n12 to the Input and the output of the external preamp...but in this scenario the gain is not bypassed...
Is this connection wrong?!
Thank soundrage,your help is very valuable
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkok View Post
Before my last pc died the n12 ran perfectly with the via fw chipset ( in the yamaha list) so I can confirm its not just TI chipsets.

Anyway has anyone got the n12 working with win7 64 and cubase 5 without the BSOD when shutting down. Actually has anyone got it working with the 32bit version or is this the same?

I have win7 ready to install but waiting for the n12 driver. I did try with the RC win 7 but it was eratic and then the BSOD came back sigh!!
not yet, win7 64 bit , legacy technique, cubase 5.1 32bit, bsod's.

wait until the end of the month as there releaseing official win 7 drivers
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone interested in a pristine condition N12 with custom dust cover?

525 USD plus shipping (from Canada).

**running away to the classfieds***
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Update on Windows 7 and Snow Leopard Compatibility :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net

here's hoping the yamaha n12 etc gets the SL upgrade to

have had the SL disc sitting here for a couple of months now

can't wait for cubase and the n12 to be on SL!
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Found some Snow Leopard support info from Yahama here http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/...d_20091112.pdf
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Rackmount?

Anybody know how to set one of these up in a rackmount? Do they sell rack ears for them?
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anybody know how to set one of these up in a rackmount? Do they sell rack ears for them?
Too big to rack.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
From Steinberg website: Steinberg is pleased to announce an upcoming set of updates to the hardware products CC121, MR816 CSX/X and CI2, which will offer support for both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6. These updates will be released simultaneously with the Cubase and Sequel updates in December.

...no mention of the dfegadn12
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post

or N8 dfegad
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
From Steinberg website: Steinberg is pleased to announce an upcoming set of updates to the hardware products CC121, MR816 CSX/X and CI2, which will offer support for both Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6. These updates will be released simultaneously with the Cubase and Sequel updates in December.

why would Steinberg list Yamaha hardware updates?
You might be jumping the gun thinking the n12 won't be getting new drivers.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancestate View Post
why would Steinberg list Yamaha hardware updates?
You might be jumping the gun thinking the n12 won't be getting new drivers.
The N8/N12 will be included, see this info from Yamaha
Windows 7:
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/...7_20091112.pdf
Snow Leopard:
http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/...d_20091112.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
had my first glitch with my n12. it no longer connects to cubase. rebooted numerous times, done the hard reset 3 times

looks like i might need to try and reload all the drivers

still works fine as my soundcard for things like i tunes etc and shows up in my system on the mac as the sound card

now i just gotta try and remember the order to do this in
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
had my first glitch with my n12. it no longer connects to cubase. rebooted numerous times, done the hard reset 3 times

looks like i might need to try and reload all the drivers

still works fine as my soundcard for things like i tunes etc and shows up in my system on the mac as the sound card

now i just gotta try and remember the order to do this in
I had saved this off from this thread some time back..I haven't updated my n12 so I don't know if this is the latest and greatest..

Update operation for new driver and firmware

1. Connect a computer directly to a n8/n12 (without using a hub) by using an IEEE1394 cable.
Be sure to disconnect all other IEEE1394 devices, except the one to be updated.

2. Simultaneously hold down the [PREV] button and [CLICK REMOTE ON] buttons and turn the power on for the n8/n12.
The n8/n12 will boot up in update mode. When booting up in update mode, the LED at the top of the MASTER LEVEL METER-L lights up. After a few seconds, the LED at the bottom of the MASTER LEVEL METER-R will flash.

3. Double-click "nUpdate.exe" to start the program.
When the program works correctly, "Searching for FW device…" will briefly be shown in the Status column for a short time. Then, the Output Port column will display "FIRM." .......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey thanks for the info

i have the latest drivers on the n12, and am not sure what the nupdate.exe program is?? or where to use it???

do you think i should do this instead of reloading drivers?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Hey thanks for the info

i have the latest drivers on the n12, and am not sure what the nupdate.exe program is?? or where to use it???

do you think i should do this instead of reloading drivers?
Sorry Trock, I haven't been keeping up on updating drivers etc. I'm running Cubase 4 with no problems and don't plan on updating until Win 7 drivers are rock solid. I think you might find how to do it looking back through this thread but as you know it's long.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

So after doing a few A/B tests against my MOTU 2048mk3, the Yamaha rocks! It started right up with Digital Performer after installing the drivers, no problems there. I was able to record on all the tracks with low latency. Even playing back MOTU-previously-recorded tracks, the n8 seems to add some nice drive and clarity on playback. Recording sounds great with lots of control in post or pre. Very non-technical assessment of course, but my early reports are "I'm digging it".

Of course the DAW control with DP isn't that great. I wonder though, the n8 is sending data out, there should be some way to capture that and make a custom DAW control binding. Will experiment when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiahmed View Post
OK ...THIS IS FROM MY FIRST WEEK OF N8 EXPERIENCE

i suggest u hook up the N8 IN your main studio environment to really hear the difference against the MOTU in terms of capturing and monitoring

i can tell you that the preamps are very CLEAN..meaning not leaning towards any frequency in particular (ofcourse your mic has its tone)

but the preamps do have a punch...maybe DYMANICS would be a better word...great for vocals and guitars.

the best thing is D-A conversion....my elements became very defined both in terms of FREQUENCIES and LOUDNESS...which led to better leveling and mixing.

seems like the LOWS are defined even slightly further...a great feature for mastering your mixes.

did wonders with the same pair of monitors in the same studio space.

note : it will make many hidden frequencies audible...any noise would be from your mic, sound files and most probably VSTs. N8 will let your hear the most tiniest and sensitive tweaks.

Good luck with your experimenting.
DO POST YOUR EXPERIENCE.

AND YEAH....DON'T FORGET THE DRIVER/FIRMWARE UPGRADES AND UPDATES.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe the n12, but the n8 would totally fit. I think I just to find like a generic rack support that it can rest against.

Quote:
Too big to rack.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have to take all the grumble back now. A new video card driver and raising the sample rate to 88.2 seems to have sorted my dropout problem. I can't stress how great a piece of kit the N12 is when it's working but it's taken me almost 2 years to get it stable...just as I'm about to take the plunge to 64bit land with windows7. For that I WILL wait for the new drivers.

On that note, does anyone know if it'll be the same deal on windows7 as it was on xp64 and vista64 where we have to instal the 64 bit N drivers and the 32bit extensions if running cubase under x86 on a 64 bit OS?..stuff they don't mention in the manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
by the way, just had to reinstall the FW and Ntools driver and all is good again
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So after doing a few A/B tests against my MOTU 2048mk3, the Yamaha rocks! It started right up with Digital Performer after installing the drivers, no problems there. I was able to record on all the tracks with low latency. Even playing back MOTU-previously-recorded tracks, the n8 seems to add some nice drive and clarity on playback. Recording sounds great with lots of control in post or pre. Very non-technical assessment of course, but my early reports are "I'm digging it".

Of course the DAW control with DP isn't that great. I wonder though, the n8 is sending data out, there should be some way to capture that and make a custom DAW control binding. Will experiment when I get a chance.

Hiya dpolcino

Which version of DP are u running with your N? Do any of the transport controls on the N work with DP?

Mick
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Is the WET function without any latency ?? Can I monitor my snare drum with a UA 1176LN without latency ??

If so, I buy one N12 first thing on monday.

J.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Maybe not
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It will have some latency, but not much.
πŸ“ Reply