The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD/DA Converter or soundcard
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

AD/DA Converter or soundcard

Hey Guys,

So i've been sticking with my Komplete 6 soundcard for a good 8 years now and its time for an upgrade. I'm kind of stuck on whether to upgrade my card or the converters.

I've got my sights on the UA 2192 for 2k. Since alot of my stuff is in the box but i also use some synths and outboard compressors/fx I think investing in some quality converters would make a good deal of difference as I'm often disappointed with the recorded audio vs what im hearing through my monitors.

I could pair it with a RME digiface and then just use the komplete 6 in/outs i've already got or just get the behringer ADA800.

I guess I dont really understand what order to upgrade stuff in and whether id be better of just getting a pricier soundcard that does everything.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbongjovi View Post
Hey Guys,

So i've been sticking with my Komplete 6 soundcard for a good 8 years now and its time for an upgrade. I'm kind of stuck on whether to upgrade my card or the converters.

I've got my sights on the UA 2192 for 2k. Since alot of my stuff is in the box but i also use some synths and outboard compressors/fx I think investing in some quality converters would make a good deal of difference as I'm often disappointed with the recorded audio vs what im hearing through my monitors.

I could pair it with a RME digiface and then just use the komplete 6 in/outs i've already got or just get the behringer ADA800.

I guess I dont really understand what order to upgrade stuff in and whether id be better of just getting a pricier soundcard that does everything.
a UA2192 is not a sound card.
Old 4 weeks ago
That’s a lot of money for an A/D to then settle for D/A several leagues below.

Why not figure out a total budget, then look for a piece that gives the best return on that?

$2k buys you a lot of interface.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
a UA2192 is not a sound card.
Yes I realise that it is a 2channel AD/DA converter albeit one with potential to add interesting colour when clipping.

My current soundcard although not great has been good enough so far. The limited ins/outs i have got around by simply using a patchbay. I'm rarely having to record more than one or two tracks OTB at once.

My thinking with the high end converters would be that i can send the master 2chan out to add the magic then record back into my DAW.

So my outboard stuff would be going Komplete AD converters > UA2192 have i grasped that right? my signal flow perception is perhaps foggy, the Komplete has though SPDIF so it should sync ok.
Quote:
Yes I realise that it is a 2channel AD/DA converter albeit one with potential to add interesting colour when clipping.

My current soundcard although not great has been good enough so far. The limited ins/outs i have got around by simply using a patchbay. I'm rarely having to record more than one or two tracks OTB at once.

My thinking with the high end converters would be that i can send the master 2chan out to add the magic then record back into my DAW.

So my outboard stuff would be going Komplete AD converters > UA2192 have i grasped that right? my signal flow perception is perhaps foggy, the Komplete has though SPDIF so it should sync ok.
It's a bit weird to spend $$$$ on a super high end AD, and then feed it with prosumer DA. Unless you're planning on immediately upgrading the DA as well as soon as you can afford it, it makes sense to upgrade both a bit, rather than having one amazing piece and the rest so-so.

But if your AD/DA loop is having a massively degrading effect on your source..something else sounds off (possibly just a level calibration).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Yeh thats why i was thinking of pairing with the RME digiface or UC36. Im just looking to improve the weakest link in my chain which atm imo is interface/converters as im really happy w my monitors and room at last.

I've got around 5k to play with and its tempting to get more synths but i think id get the best returns with upgrading the less sexy stuff like interface/converters and DAW laptop.
Quote:
Yeh thats why i was thinking of pairing with the RME digiface or UC36. Im just looking to improve the weakest link in my chain which atm imo is interface/converters as im really happy w my monitors and room at last.

I've got around 5k to play with and its tempting to get more synths but i think id get the best returns with upgrading the less sexy stuff like interface/converters and DAW laptop.
Well - I've not used the Komplete interface (well - maybe once, a long time ago), but it's certainly not high end.

FWIW upgrading conversion seems to be the MOST sexy thing, according to GS...!

All I'm saying is don't leave yourself short elsewhere.

The other thing is that a different synth flavour is likely to have a far bigger sonic impact than the subtleties of conversion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

yeh i was under the impression the converters might provide more character to my ITB stuff. Anyway I'll probably go for the RME soundcard maybe the UC36 or the digiface w seperate preamps.

I've had my eye on the distressor or fatso but i could only afford a single channel. that along with an RME would easily eat the 5k but.
Lives for gear

Quote:

the Komplete has though SPDIF so it should sync ok.
You need BNC Worldclock is you want ultimate stability
📝 Reply