The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best DAW 2020 to migrate to from Pro-tools
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Best DAW 2020 to migrate to from Pro-tools

The upgrade pricing is such a joke at this point. I want to upgrade from 11, but I'm not seeing any reasonably affordable options, so I think it's time to jump ship to another DAW...

I want something that can handle mixing well, and also track playlists for vocal comping, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Luna, Studio 1, Logic, Cubase, Ableton.

Choice is yours.

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Switched to Logic for work and Ableton for live performances years ago. Never looked back.
If you're on Mac, there's no reason not to use Logic. YMMV, of course.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you move from Pro Tools to Logic, the audio part would feel like a toy.
I recommend Cubase, you would feel at home at least with the audio part.
The Cubase Midi part will just open new worlds.

:-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

From what I understand, Reaper has a Pro Tools skin and key command layout that will make it look and act like PT but with all of the other functionality that Reapers employs... and it's $60. Probably the easiest move.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
From what I understand, Reaper has a Pro Tools skin and key command layout that will make it look and act like PT but with all of the other functionality that Reapers employs... and it's $60. Probably the easiest move.
Reaper is great, but he/she did mention Playlists and that's not currently something Reaper does.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
Reaper is great, but he/she did mention Playlists and that's not currently something Reaper does.
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn’t. I still have PT11 on my personal machine and it works great. If you’ve got the key commands for comping from playlists in PT down any other DAW will significantly slow you down.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I left Pro Tools for the same reason - their pricing got ridiculous. I went to Logic but I have to say I found Logic very difficult to learn compared to Pro Tools. I am considering giving Luna a try as someone I know has gone from Digital Performer to Luna and loves it. He also has past exeprience with Pro Tools and Logic and has suggested I might be happier with Luna. The issue with that for me is that my Apollo is Firewaire so it would require a $600 upgrade to get the Thunderbolt PC Card and appropriate adapter/cable.

Another thing worth mentioning as a positive for moving to Logic is their Virtual Instruments and Effects Plugins are very good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
If you move from Pro Tools to Logic, the audio part would feel like a toy.
I recommend Cubase, you would feel at home at least with the audio part.
The Cubase Midi part will just open new worlds.

I am curious what you mean about Logic's audio part feeling like a toy? Would you be kind enough to provide your thoughts on this please? I am very curious.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Ableton is my DAW of choice for years over Pro-tools... it's just I miss those playlist features when tracking bands or vocalists. I really don't have too much trouble other than that... but it does seem like I "think" differently when using Ableton. I like the option to mix in pro-tools if need be for the different perspective, just can't deal with their scammy upgrade system any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Luna, Studio 1, Logic, Cubase, Ableton.

Choice is yours.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have to agree... I'm sure if you do a null test with other daws it will be fine. But I could never get on with Logic. Can't stand the childish interface. Bubbly.

Quote:
If you are soooo curious you are welcome to try those DAWs and discover it by yourself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are soooo curious you are welcome to try those DAWs and discover it by yourself.
Hmm - I was just curious as to how you arrived at your opinion. I am new to Logic and perhaps there is something you might have been able to clue me in on. I would think you'd want to be helpful if someone asked you a question. My question was sincere - there was no attitude or hidden agenda.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

different daws prioritize different things and have different layouts.
here are some prioritizations:
cubase: midi, tv/film
fl studio: beats/pattern sequencer
ableton live: loops, improvisation
protools: audio

protools is probably the best at audio tracking and editing. so if you are heavy into audio, i don't think there is a better one out there. it's also the industry standard for project transfer.

cubase probably has the most advanced midi. it depends if the advanced features are important to you.

i'm not sure what logic, reaper, and studio one prioritize, but they seem to be fairly neutral. they are definitely not workflow-eccentric like live or fl studio.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have to switch between both ProTools and Logic a lot depending on the project. ProTools I much prefer for recording, editing. I prefer Logic’s Take folders for comping as it’s easier to swipe and audition versus ProTools playlists. Logic also now has track alternatives (akin to playlists).

Logic’s flextime I find more transparent for multi-miked recordings vs elastic audio. Beat Detective is great in ProTools for drums of course, but Logic slicing mode can also do that job really well and I like how you can set master tracks to quantise lock to. I also find setting transient markers less clunky in Logic. Also CPU efficiency seems a little better in Logic for mixing than ProTools.

I’ve also experimented with seeing if multi tracks summed in both DAWs null, and they do.

A writing studio I work at does everything in Logic and our stuff gets sent to folk like Spike Stent/Serban etc to mix so no issues there. The sequencing/programming/compositional side of Logic make it superior to ProTools in that sense for writers/producers. Hope this helps a little.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchildren View Post
The upgrade pricing is such a joke at this point. I want to upgrade from 11, but I'm not seeing any reasonably affordable options, so I think it's time to jump ship to another DAW...

I want something that can handle mixing well, and also track playlists for vocal comping, etc.
you can buy an upgrade from v.11 to v.2020 for $250.00
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
There’s people who have written scripts to enable Playlists among other PT native features. You can taylor Reaper to do just about anything you want. I’ve bounced around all the poplar DAWs over the years always missing some features that I loved in other DAWs I’ve worked with. I found a home with Reaper because I have put all those features into it via freely available scripts from a pretty stellar community. There’s also some third party developers out there as well like this guy.

https://www.protoolstoreaper.com/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I got tired of Avid price gouging and I’m moving from Pro Tools to Logic. Works for me. Last EP I worked on was totally in Logic, came out just fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Hmm - I was just curious as to how you arrived at your opinion. I am new to Logic and perhaps there is something you might have been able to clue me in on. I would think you'd want to be helpful if someone asked you a question. My question was sincere - there was no attitude or hidden agenda.
I apologize for my tone, sorry!!

I just had someone jump at me for no reason on another thread here so I am a bit jumpy myself I guess.
Please accept my sincere apology as I misread, your question was not confrontational and my answer was bitchy....

As for your question, just the way the program is laid out, the GUI, and in particular the general workflow with audio: cuts, fades etc.... (I know MIDI is excellent)

Probably there is nothing you can't really do compared to other DAWs but the feel is not right FOR ME having tried other options .

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
There’s people who have written scripts to enable Playlists among other PT native features. You can taylor Reaper to do just about anything you want. I’ve bounced around all the poplar DAWs over the years always missing some features that I loved in other DAWs I’ve worked with. I found a home with Reaper because I have put all those features into it via freely available scripts from a pretty stellar community. There’s also some third party developers out there as well like this guy.

https://www.protoolstoreaper.com/
Yes, I'm familiar with the scripts available. Unfortunately the script for playlists, "Track Versions" has been broken since Reaper v6 and the guy writing it seems to have a lot on his plate.

Don't get me wrong, if you asked me which DAW to move to from Protools, I'd say Reaper as that's exactly what I did ( after 18 year using Protools ). I still have a licence for the latest version of Protools, but it only gets used when required. Reaper is my default DAW because it's just so much better for what I do.
Nonetheless, I still miss playlists. If you know of a good working playlists script for Reaper I'm all ears.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Luna is very easy to pick up. Just start a new project and have the manual on hand. After about 20 hours you'll be all over it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
I got tired of Avid price gouging
Me too. I believe there is a case for a class action suit if anybody had the inclination. There are laws for this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

doesn't it require UAD hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsarbomba View Post
Luna is very easy to pick up. Just start a new project and have the manual on hand. After about 20 hours you'll be all over it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
you can buy an upgrade from v.11 to v.2020 for $250.00
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where?
right here

https://pro-one-audio.com/collection...-reinstatement
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I apologize for my tone, sorry!!

I just had someone jump at me for no reason on another thread here so I am a bit jumpy myself I guess.
Please accept my sincere apology as I misread, your question was not confrontational and my answer was bitchy....

As for your question, just the way the program is laid out, the GUI, and in particular the general workflow with audio: cuts, fades etc.... (I know MIDI is excellent)

Probably there is nothing you can't really do compared to other DAWs but the feel is not right FOR ME having tried other options .

Thanks for the apology and of course it is accepted. I get it that lots of people jump on posts in a confrontational way on this forum so I see how my question could have been misconstrued. All good! :-)

I am trying to learn Logic and find it extremely difficult. I think part of the issue is that I am still thinking Pro Tools. One example is that my work flow uses lots of buses - buses within buses for various sub group mixes. In Pro Tools it requires set up but one can easily move channels in the mixing view to arrange the mixing board as one wants. I have found this extremely cumbersom in Logic because Logic creates aux channels automatically if you create a send. Also, while I think the Stack Function in Logic is cool, there is still a work flow issue for me in terms of how I want my mixing board configured - I like my main buses to the far right and my FX buses grouped with each group of instruments from left to tright - Drums > Drums FX1, Drums FX2 > Bass > Bss FX1 > Acoustic GTRs > A GTR FX1, A GTR FX2 and so on. I have figured out how to get what I want but it is such a pain. Of course I now have a template but still - I just am not fond of the way Logic seems to do things itself rather than allow me to do things. Perhaps one day I will learn to appreciate this but while I am trying to swap from one mindset to another it has been really annoying,

I know of someone who loves to get into the bowels of Logic and from what I gather it is very flexible if you know the intricacies but I am not into digging into the details - I want something that is easy to use and self intuitive. Logic to me fits neither. I am considering giving Luna a try as I hear it is more like Pro Tools but for me to go that route I will need to invest in the Thunderbolt PC card which is $600 with the appropriate adapters. For now, I will continue to bang my head in Logic and hope that soon the light bulb will go on and that I'll be able to be creative and productive again.

As to your impression on the audio interface, I had just wanted to know what you meant as it was not obvious to me so thanks for the clarification!

P
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
doesn't it require UAD hardware?
Yes, Luna requires Thunderbolt connectivity with one of their Apollo interfaces. I'm sure in the future they will come up with new interfaces but I believe at the moment all they have is the Apollo.

I have heard good things from the few people I know that have switched to Luna and since I committed to their UAD2 Plugins when they first arrived on the scene, moving to Luna might be the smart move for me but a while back I decided to give Logic a try. I am experiencing difficulty getting comfortable with it but will give it some more time before tossing in the towel as to upgrade to Luna for me would require an additional $600 investment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
Thanks for the apology and of course it is accepted. I get it that lots of people jump on posts in a confrontational way on this forum so I see how my question could have been misconstrued. All good! :-)

I am trying to learn Logic and find it extremely difficult. I think part of the issue is that I am still thinking Pro Tools. One example is that my work flow uses lots of buses - buses within buses for various sub group mixes. In Pro Tools it requires set up but one can easily move channels in the mixing view to arrange the mixing board as one wants. I have found this extremely cumbersom in Logic because Logic creates aux channels automatically if you create a send. Also, while I think the Stack Function in Logic is cool, there is still a work flow issue for me in terms of how I want my mixing board configured - I like my main buses to the far right and my FX buses grouped with each group of instruments from left to tright - Drums > Drums FX1, Drums FX2 > Bass > Bss FX1 > Acoustic GTRs > A GTR FX1, A GTR FX2 and so on. I have figured out how to get what I want but it is such a pain. Of course I now have a template but still - I just am not fond of the way Logic seems to do things itself rather than allow me to do things. Perhaps one day I will learn to appreciate this but while I am trying to swap from one mindset to another it has been really annoying,

I know of someone who loves to get into the bowels of Logic and from what I gather it is very flexible if you know the intricacies but I am not into digging into the details - I want something that is easy to use and self intuitive. Logic to me fits neither. I am considering giving Luna a try as I hear it is more like Pro Tools but for me to go that route I will need to invest in the Thunderbolt PC card which is $600 with the appropriate adapters. For now, I will continue to bang my head in Logic and hope that soon the light bulb will go on and that I'll be able to be creative and productive again.

As to your impression on the audio interface, I had just wanted to know what you meant as it was not obvious to me so thanks for the clarification!

P
Thanks for accepting the apology... I appreciate it.

I would again suggest giving Cubase a try. With Luna you will be tied to the hardware (I think!), and frankly it is relatively untested. Cubase has been around since the 90s. it is super stable and full of super fancy and useful futeres, including actually also really basic silly stuff, that makes your life so much easier, missing from the likes of PT; such as Folder Tracks and having to just type the name of the plugin you want to open it instead of going through millions of lists and sub folders.

The audio grouping and send structure is very intuitive too.

Good luck !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for accepting the apology... I appreciate it.

I would again suggest giving Cubase a try. With Luna you will be tied to the hardware (I think!), and frankly it is relatively untested. Cubase has been around since the 90s. it is super stable and full of super fancy and useful futeres, including actually also really basic silly stuff, that makes your life so much easier, missing from the likes of PT; such as Folder Tracks and having to just type the name of the plugin you want to open it instead of going through millions of lists and sub folders.

The audio grouping and send structure is very intuitive too.

Good luck !
Thanks for the tout on Cubase. i'll give that some thought as well. I have heard nothing but good things from a few but for some reason I never paid much attention - maybe it is time to lift the hood and check it out.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Digital Performer. I'd say the top candidates for going up against Pro Tools are Digital Performer and Cubase, with Logic just maybe just a hair behind. (And Logic being Mac only of course.) Reaper is totally a thing if you're into a bit more DIY and such. Ableton is great and can do almost everything, but its core being is live performance, not tracking and mixing and all the little things around that add up. Studio One is more of an investment in the future. And there are of course umpteen other options.

Most of the apps have a 30 day free trial and there's really no substitute for installing the DAW and doing a small project. It's a fair bit of work, but if you really use a DAW, it is well worthwhile. Then again, if you really use Pro Tools and know it well, it is very unlikely it is worth switching for price savings alone.

For Logic, the first step is to find every last preference that turns it into a real DAW. Turn on all the advanced features and if there is anything that says "Do it like Garage Band or some other way" you want the some other way. Go configure the track header UI, etc.

There's also reliability to consider. I actually found Ableton easiest to use in a lot of ways, but enough stuff went wrong along the way to getting a final mix that I decided to put my time elsewhere for most things. (DP9 also had some issues that were a real drag but I haven't run into them in DP10. I haven't spent a ton of time in Pro Tools, but it did crash fairly regularly for me, mostly when some aspect of the audio interface hardware changed. Like finishing tracking and unplugging the interface from the laptop without quitting Pro Tools. No biggie, but felt really sloppy for a mature pro app. DP10, Cubase and Logic have been pretty solid for me reliability wise.)

Addendum: It also depends on whether you're buying into the built-in effects or mostly using your own third party VSTs' etc. The quality of the included plug-ins varies and this will change whether you're loving what you hear at the end a bit. For Pro Tools it always felt to me that the built-in stuff was trying to be just good enough to get by but if you were really serious, you'd buy some add on plug-ins. Even for fairly basic things. The upside on that is for those who do go with third party plug-ins, that functionality generally carries from DAW to DAW with little change.

-Z-
📝 Reply