The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sell the Focusrite audio interface, get UAD, improve mixes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Sell the Focusrite audio interface, get UAD, improve mixes?

Couldn’t think of a better subject title. Sorry

Basically I’ve got all my gear - synths, fx- running thru a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX + ADAT box. I don’t want a desk right now.

Been thinking about throwing some money at my recording setup. Question is - will be recordings have better headroom, fidelity and ‘space’ if I spent 2k on UAD or apogee converters?

Are they such a big step up from the Focusrite stuff I own??

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Probably not 2k worth. But they'll be slightly different!
Old 4 weeks ago
Are you recording with mics? Or just line level synths? I don’t think you’d gain a ton in conversion but tracking with UAD plugins may be beneficial to your workflow. Looking at an external mic pre ( if micing) would make a bigger sound/headroom difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Are you recording with mics? Or just line level synths? I don’t think you’d gain a ton in conversion but tracking with UAD plugins may be beneficial to your workflow. Looking at an external mic pre ( if micing) would make a bigger sound/headroom difference.
Just line level synths tbh. If I did some occasional vocal or recording of percussion, perhaps if I got a decent 500 series mic pre amp that would suffice?

Back to your original point tho, I think you’re saying that for line level synths and samplers, I wouldn’t gain a great deal other than the quality of the UAD plugins?

Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

UAD Apollo is definitely better than Clarett.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent View Post
UAD Apollo is definitely better than Clarett.
Sure isn't always the case. Do you mean "the UAD model(s) that are comparable in terms of features to the Clarett model in question are better, but you're going to pay for it"?

For example, I had $800 max I could spend on any brand. But only the Clarett 4pre had the features (I/O) I needed. Therefore, the Clarett 4pre was better than every other brand. Brand didn't matter - fulfilling a need did.

Then there's the question of how much better for the $$, which only a buyer can ascertain. Is a $2,000 interface 2x better than a $1,000 interface? Maybe. Maybe not.

If I was going to spend that much on an interface, I'd first consider drivers (e.g., RME) and latency, but that's me. Others would consider the mic pres. I wouldn't go down the UAD software hole if I already had a bunch of top plugins unless I was maybe doing a total reset.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
Just line level synths tbh. If I did some occasional vocal or recording of percussion, perhaps if I got a decent 500 series mic pre amp that would suffice?

Back to your original point tho, I think you’re saying that for line level synths and samplers, I wouldn’t gain a great deal other than the quality of the UAD plugins?

Thank you!
OK cool, wasn't sure if you were looking at the Apollo 16 or 8. The new X8's are cool in that you can leave the mic xlr plugged into a mic, and a trs/ts into the 1/4" inputs and toggle between the two depending on what your recording... Nice feature. The 16 would of course be great for a lot of synths and drum machines. I often plug mine directly in and they play with plugins while tracking them. I like doing that more with line level synths then when I'm micing stuff...

I believe the claretts are discontinued? If so driver support may start to dwindle, might be hard to work with them or even sell them. But yes, I've heard conversion was very good on those...

Plenty of great mic pre's in the 500 series if you decide to go that route...
📝 Reply