The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The best NO NONSENSE high channel count converter?
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

The best NO NONSENSE high channel count converter?

I don't want mic pres.
I don't want headphone jacks.
I don't want monitoring.
I don't want FX.
I don't want standalone mixing software.

I just want the BEST no-nonsense high channel count ADDA converter on the market. Has anyone found this?

For God's sake is Presonus REALLY the only company to make a dumb converter like this? (Quantum 4848).

Please tell me someone has found a high-end converter that does only that, CONVERT!
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by furdervish View Post
Please tell me someone has found a high-end converter that does only that, CONVERT!
Look at DAD, Merging and Prism.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

tascam surprised me with a great converter quality in DA3000 for a reasonable price. It is only a stereo unit, but they also have something like TASCAM DL32 with Dante, 32 channels...

Ferrofish is another one with lots of channels and a fair price. Both brands get here less attention but should give you a nice amount of channels for money.

Or maybe Metric Halo Lio8 with 8 adda channels + additional channels via edge card, very nice DA Convertion.

How much channels do you need?
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
tascam surprised me with a great converter quality in DA3000 for a reasonable price. It is only a stereo unit, but they also have something like TASCAM DL32 with Dante, 32 channels...

Ferrofish is another one with lots of channels and a fair price. Both brands get here less attention but should give you a nice amount of channels for money.

Or maybe Metric Halo Lio8 with 8 adda channels + additional channels via edge card, very nice DA Convertion.

How much channels do you need?
32. I've got an SSL XL coming in and I'm used to 32 for routing flexibility with outboard.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
32. I've got an SSL XL coming in and I'm used to 32 for routing flexibility with outboard.
Add the Burl Mothership to my list.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict
Don't know if high end enough for you, but I can vouch for the Ferrofish A32. I cannot hear any difference to the converters of the RME UFX+
Old 13th September 2020
Lots of high end converters like this (add apogee symphony, lynx etc) - but most high end converters come in smaller units (8 or 16io) that are compatible and expandable.

What output do you need - AES or ADAT? If ADAT - do you need SMUX?

Or are you needing the interface part as well as the converter part?
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Addict

I would just go Presonus, or Lynx if I had the money. Just cover the headphone outs if it bothers you to look at them.
Old 13th September 2020
I've been using Motu 16a and 624 units. They have mix software but its a standard type deal and you set and forget it. The convertion is fantastic for the $ per channel.
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Lots of high end converters like this (add apogee symphony, lynx etc) - but most high end converters come in smaller units (8 or 16io) that are compatible and expandable.

What output do you need - AES or ADAT? If ADAT - do you need SMUX?

Or are you needing the interface part as well as the converter part?
I need primarily analog db25 in and out. An additional digital in (AES or lightpipe) is nice to bring back stereo mixes from my Burl Bomber.

I should have been a bit more explicit. You all have already listed many great options. But I'll be honest, I am not in a position to drop 10k+ on 32 channels. If I had that cash I would go with Burl - in love with that company.

I had used an antelope orion for years despite connectivity hassles. However, they also are dumping r&d into fx, pres, etc. I would feel better with someone focussing on the single mission of conversion.

I then moved to Apollo - x16 + 16. But UAD is focussed on console emulation, etc. and since I am upgrading to an ACTUAL console I sold them and want a simple tool that sounds great.

The new Lynx are prob the closest but again - cash.

Motu keeps coming up but I did a shootout and did not love the vibes and their interfaces have been on the market a looong time.
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I've been using Motu 16a and 624 units. They have mix software but its a standard type deal and you set and forget it. The convertion is fantastic for the $ per channel.
Interested. What else have you used as comparison?
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
I need primarily analog db25 in and out. An additional digital in (AES or lightpipe) is nice to bring back stereo mixes from my Burl Bomber.

I should have been a bit more explicit. You all have already listed many great options. But I'll be honest, I am not in a position to drop 10k+ on 32 channels. If I had that cash I would go with Burl - in love with that company.

I had used an antelope orion for years despite connectivity hassles. However, they also are dumping r&d into fx, pres, etc. I would feel better with someone focussing on the single mission of conversion.

I then moved to Apollo - x16 + 16. But UAD is focussed on console emulation, etc. and since I am upgrading to an ACTUAL console I sold them and want a simple tool that sounds great.

Motu keeps coming up but I did a shootout and did not love the vibes and their interfaces have been on the market a looong time.
I mean what digital out do you need? Or are you looking for an interface (computer connection - TB, USB or PCIe - maybe Dante or AVB over Ethernet)? They’re different things.

And what ARE you able to spend for a 32io setup? If it’s not 10k, you’re not in super high end territory - apogee symphony or Lynx are the 2 options that spring to mind for purely IO, no other functions, scalable, quality but not ultra high end (given that you don’t like MOTU or Antelope, and can’t afford Burl, Prism or the ultra high end).

Maybe there’s a focusrite option
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
Interested. What else have you used as comparison?
RME FF400 which i hated the sound of.
1st gen Symphony io which is still my favourite
Lynx Aurora 1st gen, very good.
Orion 32 for a short time, it did a good job although was finicky and kept over heating.

I have landed on the Motu units because they are both mac and PC compatible, have good conversion and are rock solid. I cannot see me changing converters for a few good years now.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't want mic pres.
I don't want headphone jacks.
I don't want monitoring.
I don't want FX.
I don't want standalone mixing software.

I just want the BEST no-nonsense high channel count ADDA converter on the market. Has anyone found this?

For God's sake is Presonus REALLY the only company to make a dumb converter like this? (Quantum 4848).

What’s high-end mean to you? What’s your price range?
Old 13th September 2020
Old 13th September 2020
Metric Halo LIO-8 3D would be my first choice outside of the crazy money level or if that’s out of budget the SPL Madison gives you sixteen channels of excellent ad/da for a very good price.

Last edited by microwave; 13th September 2020 at 01:10 PM..
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

What’s your budget? Otherwise we’re circle jerking
Old 13th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
What’s your budget? Otherwise we’re circle jerking
Fair enough. But I'm always talking myself out of my "budgets"! Sub 5k.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Guru

Are you really going to get better conversion quality than an Orion though for 32 channels under $5k? Even despite them also developing other areas of their products?
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

One option is to get an RME digital interface (they have some of the best drivers) and then hook up whatever converters you like.
Old 13th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Wow this looks pretty awesome. First time I've seen a unit with 2 PSUs. I'm guessing that sucker gets hot.
Old 13th September 2020
jrp
Lives for gear

Older but still going strong:

Mutu PCIe424 with 24io or hd192 units.
Up to 96ch at 96khz

24io can be psu and opamp modded rather easy.
Old 13th September 2020
jrp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Wow this looks pretty awesome. First time I've seen a unit with 2 PSUs. I'm guessing that sucker gets hot.
i´m pretty sure they are for redundancy. If one fails, the other kicks in.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough. But I'm always talking myself out of my "budgets"! Sub 5k.
Ferrofish a32
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Nut
I really like my MOTU 16A; I've had it for a few years and no issues. Happy to answer any questions.
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm in the same situation and have done a lot of searching and reading deciding which converter to choose.
Right now it's boiling down to either DirectOut Andiamo 2 or Ferrofish A32.
Lynx Aurora 32 or RME M-32 Pro would be great too, but out of my budget...
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
i´m pretty sure they are for redundancy. If one fails, the other kicks in.
Seems like finally some brands are clearly giving something for redundancy.
RME new products (12Mic, M32, ...) are going for this too.

I love the options, and it's always good to get a back up.
📝 Reply