The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best place to buy computers?
Old 11th August 2020
  #1
Best place to buy computers?

Newegg? Amazon? other?? Where have you found the best as far as options and price?
Old 11th August 2020
  #2
Gear Nut
 

I've bought direct online from HP and Dell, and retail at Office Depot. I found Dell had the best offerings.
Old 11th August 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
If you want a computer made specific for Audio:
Sweetware, PC audio labs, scan UK

If you want something cheap and easy, Acer on amazon (Buy Ram and Hard drive separate and upgrade it)
If you want the best bang/buck, built it your self.
Purchasing components NewEgg is good

Dell/HP is about the worst bang for buck, and often very poor design for audio use. However, you do get some support with dell if you need that.

What's the budget? What's the application.

In general, you have to decide what software you want to use, and how you want to use it, then pick the computer.
Old 11th August 2020
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMacMac View Post
I've bought direct online from HP and Dell, and retail at Office Depot. I found Dell had the best offerings.
I just checked and can't imagine why tbh. I simply clicked on "i7" as an option and they only show 9th gen systems on up and the cheapest laptop was $1800. Yeah right, good one Dell. How odd that I can find Dell laptops elsewhere that are not sold on Dell's web site.
Old 11th August 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Newegg? Amazon? other?? Where have you found the best as far as options and price?
Are you unable/unwilling to build your own? How about buying a motherboard with a CPU and RAM already installed but everything else?

The best computer and the best pricing is doing it yourself. Everything else is either worse, or more expensive (or both).

If you're not getting an audio computer by a specialist company, and you're not assembling a computer yourself, then you might as well get it from anywhere with the cheapest price.
Old 11th August 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Tiger direct, Newegg, Microcenter
Old 11th August 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
If you want a computer made specific for Audio:
Sweetware, PC audio labs, scan UK
that must be a total scam
Old 11th August 2020
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Are you unable/unwilling to build your own?
Yes, completely. And clarification, I lean to a laptop.

PS I forgot about Tiger, will check, thanks

Edit: I checked. Thx for the idea but Tiger is about the last place I'd recommend. Their web site totally sucks to navigate and their prices are laughable. Looks like Amazon and Newegg are the way to go.
Old 11th August 2020
  #9
Here for the gear
 

because I cannot afford to buy a new one so can anyone help me to find a place with second hand laptop and high quality? I appreciate any answers
bubble shooter
Old 11th August 2020
  #10
craigslist
Old 11th August 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
that must be a total scam
Nope.

Each of them test and pick a specific set of components then tune the OS to maximize audio use. I have sub 1ms lag in and out of the system while recording 32 tracks of 24/96 and mixing 200 tracks (have to count each send/recieve).

Do you understand a PC well enough to maximize every details of a custom OS install for audio? I sure don't.

I was on top of that game back in say 1993 when we had to manually set jumpers for interrupts. Once Microsoft moved to a Unix underly vs a DOS underlay, I stopped keeping up with the details.

At the most basic level, all three of those manufactures have most of the systems configured for:
One drive OS/programs
One drive for tracks
One drive for samples
The connections for each drive configured to maximize intended use.
Old 11th August 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
because I cannot afford to buy a new one so can anyone help me to find a place with second hand laptop and high quality? I appreciate any answers
bubble shooter
You need some definition of "high quality"

12 ram, or 96 ram?
I3, or I9?
250MB or 2TB/drive
1 drive, or 3 drives running raid 0 using adaptech controller and SCSI.
Old 11th August 2020
  #13
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

12 ram, or 96 ram?
I.
Based on another thread in this forum, the OP is confident that 16 ram is plenty, and experts who build PCs for studios just say buy more RAM to make more money. Lol.

Therefore for the OP, I would say buy a generic laptop.

For anyone else PCs built for audio are more pricey. But having good support after the sale via Tesm Viewer etc, can be helpful if you aren't particularly PC savvy. Windows updates, especially with Windows Home instead of Pro and other driver updates over time can cause issues.

You really need to know the background of your builder if you go the specialized route. I'm not confident all Audio PC builders, especially if they advertise a lot, are anymore qualified than someone who does their own research and builds their own.
Old 11th August 2020
  #14
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
...
Once Microsoft moved to a Unix underly vs a DOS underlay, I stopped keeping up with the details.

...
Not trying to derail this thread or anything - but I think you might be confused. Microsoft Windows runs on the NT kernel through and through, no Unix there at all except for some specific developer tooling (i.e. WSL).
Old 11th August 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Nope.

Each of them test and pick a specific set of components then tune the OS to maximize audio use. I have sub 1ms lag in and out of the system while recording 32 tracks of 24/96 and mixing 200 tracks (have to count each send/recieve).
I have doing 200+ track at 96/24 for well over 20 years. Done projects with 500 tracks in Cubase on stock Dells and HPS. All you need these days is an good SSD and a decent amount of RAM. A stock Dell i9 with SSD and 32 gig of RAM will never be maxed as long as you have a good PCIe sound card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Do you understand a PC well enough to maximize every details of a custom OS install for audio? I sure don't.
A monkey who can use google can understand a PC well enough to maximize every detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I was on top of that game back in say 1993 when we had to manually set jumpers for interrupts. Once Microsoft moved to a Unix underly vs a DOS underlay, I stopped keeping up with the details.
wow you must be really smart. but you are FOS since in 1993 Windows NT was based on DEC's VMS and not Unix.

Hence .....
V->W
M->N
S->T

one letter greater


Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
At the most basic level, all three of those manufactures have most of the systems configured for:
One drive OS/programs
One drive for tracks
One drive for samples
The connections for each drive configured to maximize intended use.
they charge double the price to configure multiple hard drives??

the separate drive config thingy has been debunked for a decade now. It is not faster it is slower !!!

"Audio PC" is an internet message board marketing scam
Old 11th August 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mungu View Post
Not trying to derail this thread or anything - but I think you might be confused. Microsoft Windows runs on the NT kernel through and through, no Unix there at all except for some specific developer tooling (i.e. WSL).
NT was based on a modified unix right?
Old 11th August 2020
  #17
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
NT was based on a modified unix right?
Nope. Some of the creators had previously worked at DEC on VMS (most notably Dave Cutler), but NT was written from scratch at Microsoft. It was originally designed to be used in multiple operating systems (Windows and OS/2 were the first intended use cases), so at one point it did ship with POSIX compliant system calls.

But to state that it's based on Unix or started from Unix would be patently false.
Old 11th August 2020
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Therefore for the OP, I would say buy a generic laptop.
Thanks but that wasn't the question; it was the best place to buy one I already know that brands are irrelevant.

Quote:
For anyone else PCs built for audio are more pricey.
As chris already noted, "audio" PC is generally speaking a scam.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5895 views: 730541
Avatar for PettyCash
PettyCash 1st April 2020
replies: 4626 views: 274839
Avatar for Matt Dairy
Matt Dairy 23 minutes ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump