The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Imperial Delay at $29 or Valhalla Delay at $50?
Old 10th August 2020
Imperial Delay at $29 or Valhalla Delay at $50?

Delays are one of the thinner parts of my plugin arsenal. I have Soundtoys Echoboy and PrimalTap (& their mini-me versions) as well as PSP Lexicon 42 and 608. That's it.

I was just assuming Valhalla was the next (and possibly last) delay on my shopping list until I saw the sale price on Imperial. Both plugs have cool feature sets, overlapping but not duplicative. I like both UIs. I've had stability issues with some Boz plugins before, but I've been using the Imperial demo and haven't encountered any problems yet.

I know, I know, the slutty answer is "get both". But assume for a moment that this is impossible. Which one would you pick at those prices?
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear
I wouldn't. I'd save my money because I already have several really good ones.

But forced to choose I'd choose the cheaper one, since both seem to appeal about equally.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Neither, get H-Delay at $29. It's awesome.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/h-dela...sic-production

I mean... get all three.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

That's easy for me: get one of the absolute best delays on the market.

Valhalla Delay.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

They are both great!

But grab Imperial Delay!
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I wouldn't. I'd save my money because I already have several really good ones.
A good, grownup answer.

But I do find it helpful to have a lot of tools in the kit.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
A good, grownup answer.

But I do find it helpful to have a lot of tools in the kit.
Valhalla Delay is one of the best (or, to me, simply the best - and the only delay I really need and could use for everything if I had to).

I like Boz software. But Valhalla Delay is a masterpiece plugin. More so, to me, than any of the reverbs (Supermassive is super amazing).
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Valhalla all the way. I've really been enjoying the Supermassive and the Shimmer reverb plugs. Quality stuff that sounds so good.

I've had H-Delay for a few years and don't find it very interesting personally.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear
I tried the Boz delay today for fun, and I can confidently say I prefer Valhalla Delay. If for no other reason than the fact you can have a stereo delay with independent tempo-synced times per channel. All I can see in Imperial Delay is an offset in ms which doesn't cater for that scenario.

Valhalla Delay also has the tape vibe down perfectly, which I didn't feel in Imperial Delay at all.

Valhalla Delay is my favourite ValhallaDSP plugin also, moreso than VVV (which I also own and have since replaced with Relab / EA reverbs). The delay is just something extremely special. It's what I've been looking to find for many years.

Replika XT by NI is also good, but less of a daily driver for me due to the higher CPU usage. But I really liike having it around because it has some interesting features which can come in handy from time to time.
Old 11th August 2020
TLS
Gear Maniac

I'd go Valhalla for the sound but also for the fact that BozDigital doesn't update their plugins with fixes. Boz makes cool plugins but the lack of support makes me regret my purchases.
Old 11th August 2020
Valhalla Delay is a killer. I heard a good word about Imperial Delay too.

Regarding Waves : the "orange" delay is fair but not as inspiring as the above mentioned ones. Moreover, when using "analog" knob there are CPU spikes from time to time. I regret to say that all new Waves plugins are not well CPU-optimized.

Tom
Old 2 weeks ago
Reviving this to say I went with Valhalla Delay and am completely in love. It's threatening to displace Echoboy as my #1 (though maybe that's infatuation). I'm finding it really quick and intuitive to get sounds that work in my mixes--this plug seems to do an exceptionally good job of "sitting" while still adding audible depth and personality to the mix.

So far I'm digging the BBD on guitars and the Hi-Fi on vocals, but there's a lot more exploring to do. Love the "age" knob, which seems to offer a slightly different spectrum of color options for each algorithm -- it's in the same family of unique, magic-dispensing controls as the "position" slider on the Eventide SP-2016.

I think what's likely to happen over time is that I will use Echoboy for applications where fine control and sonic subtlety are paramount, and Valhalla for those where it's more about bringing color and energy.
📝 Reply