The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
simple delay effect in a DAW
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

simple delay effect in a DAW

This is probably really simple but im yet to wrap my head around it.

On some rane mixers, they have a delay effect called a duck echo.

basically when you turn it on, it only turns the delay out when you cut the level by a certain threshold so you can cut the fader and it turns on but you can also use turn it on say, 4 bars ahead of time and wont clutter the end of the song.

how would i do this in a Logic Pro?

it cant be that hard because rane's effects are pretty simple but i thought about it and it would be helpful at times.

this is vid of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6O5hF1Wx9k
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Head

This is a feature called "ducking" on delays. Lots of delays third party delay plugins have this feature built in (like Valhalla). I'm not familiar with Logic so I can't say whether it's built into any of the stock plugins, but you can always create this yourself via a send track and a sidechain compressor. This article describes the workflow to create a ducking reverb in Logic, and it would be the same process, but with delay instead of reverb - https://www.macprovideo.com/article/...-and-pro-tools
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

you can use a noise gate in front of the delay. if the signal drops below the gate, no signal gets through, which means the no signal gets to the delay. gates can sometimes have issues with chatter, where the gate opens and closes on the border of the threshold. this can be overcome with the hold feature on the gate. but probably the simplest thing to do is set up an aux send with a delay on the inserts and automate the level going to the send.

Last edited by gearstudent; 11th August 2020 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

thanks
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear