The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
i9 iMac fan noise
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

i9 iMac fan noise

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my current working computer (i9 6-core MacBook Pro 15") for better CPU performance and cooling, in order to avoid the jet sounding fans of my current MacBook Pro.

I use Cubase + VE Pro to compose quite large orchestral audio music (about 50 virtual instruments) and particularly during the recording phase, with a reduced buffer size, the CPU is largely engaged and VE Pro consumes the majority of its resources.
I am looking at the new 2020 iMac with i9 10-core CPU but I am a little worried about the possible noise it can make, since it's using the same old single-fan cooling.

Is there anybody which is using the last year i9 8-core iMac and can tell me what's like the fan during virtual instruments MIDI recording? Did you encounter annoying fan noise?

Thanks
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_lupine View Post
Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my current working computer (i9 6-core MacBook Pro 15") for better CPU performance and cooling, in order to avoid the jet sounding fans of my current MacBook Pro.

I use Cubase + VE Pro to compose quite large orchestral audio music (about 50 virtual instruments) and particularly during the recording phase, with a reduced buffer size, the CPU is largely engaged and VE Pro consumes the majority of its resources.
I am looking at the new 2020 iMac with i9 10-core CPU but I am a little worried about the possible noise it can make, since it's using the same old single-fan cooling.

Is there anybody which is using the last year i9 8-core iMac and can tell me what's like the fan during virtual instruments MIDI recording? Did you encounter annoying fan noise?

Thanks
I have the i9 8 core. I upgraded from one of the models that throttled and the fans went mental loud. Good news. They cured the fan noise. Bad news, I believe they just limit the performance to do so. Projects that previously run ok, start crapping out.

I would have a Mac Pro or iMac Pro in a heartbeat If they weren’t megabucks.

Its still a fast computer though you have to watch the temperature.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_lupine View Post
Hello,

Thanks
Also keenly scouring the internet for user reports of fan noise on the 2020 i9 iMacs. If anyone sees any please report!
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza26 View Post
Also keenly scouring the internet for user reports of fan noise on the 2020 i9 iMacs. If anyone sees any please report!
Yeah, I'm also trying to get more info in this regard, but I think we'll still have to wait a bit. If I find something I'll post it here.
📝 Reply