The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moving away from Universal Audio. What options?
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

Moving away from Universal Audio. What options?

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Universal Audio Apollo X6 audio interface. In terms of audio quality, I'm happy with the unit. However I am a Windows user and I'm not completely happy with the performance and stability, especially of the plugins.

In combination with pretty much never using the UAD plugins, I'm also not using the input potential. I only ever record one to tracks at a time such as vocals, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. For recording I am never using the Apollo preamps, only Line inputs.

I have a fairly good recording chain:
Manley Reference Cardioid> AMS Neve 1073> Audioscape Opto/Distressor>Apollo x6

I'm hoping to move away from the UAD platform but I'm not sure what option would suite my needs. I need at least two inputs and to be able to bypass the preamps and use decent ADC, decent latency.

In 2020, what is the best option for me to jump to? I am considering the following:

Audient id22/id44 - Owned the 22 before and was comparable in sound to the apollo.
RME Babyface Pro FS - Owned the pro version and it was fine. Anything else in RME range seem overkill for inputs.
Apogee Duet 2/Symphony Desktop - No experience with these
Presonus Quantum - No experience. Seems overkill for i/o. Latency sounds great.

Using Windows 10, can use USB/USB c/ TB3 interfaces.

So if you were moving away from UAD in 2020, where would you go?

I could get a decent price for my more or less brand new Apollo x6 so a budget of around £1500.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th August 2020
You mention problems with stability and performance. If that’s your priority then RME is the obvious choice.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Maniac

So far for a few months I've been using the Motu UltraLite AVB and it's been working flawlessly for me so far.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
You mention problems with stability and performance. If that’s your priority then RME is the obvious choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
I am strongly considering the Babyface Pro FS. It seems to be a strong all rounder for my needs. Just unsure if it will play nice with an external preamp.
Old 9th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by readaz View Post
I am strongly considering the Babyface Pro FS. It seems to be a strong all rounder for my needs. Just unsure if it will play nice with an external preamp.
It has a standard line input. So absolutely no reason to think it won’t play nice.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

RME is a no brainer
True plug and play
legendary stability
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Focusrite 18i20 here. Both platforms running smooth as baby's butt (Mac 10.11.6 & Win 10 Pro). Super satisfied with sound, build, drivers... With everything actually. Never had any issue! Warm recommendations to anyone.
📝 Reply