The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I know I am not crazy. When I upload a mix into a vid editing software like sony vegas....
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Nut

I know I am not crazy. When I upload a mix into a vid editing software like sony vegas....

I notice there is a slight degradation in the quality of how the file sounds overall.

What's the industry standard's video editing software?

I'm guessing all video editing engines are not the same in how they handle audio similar on how DAWs are. ( I know that will spark a huge argument)
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Maniac

It's a tricky question to answer.

Everyone knows of Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro X when it comes to video editing and are most likely the most commonly utilized among corporate, Youtubers, indy, etc. I think there is even more third party support for them compared to the other video editors that are out there.

From what I read though, major movie companies in Hollywood have used Avid Media Composer for decades. Davinci Resolve is a colour grade program commonly used for major films, though it's NLE functions have made it a compelling video editor to consider over the years.

If I were to guess... I would say Avid Media Composer would be the legacy industry standard while Adobe Premiere is becoming the new industry standard.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Check your audio effects in Vegas. I know that here, you get a default comp, eq, and something else on audio tracks. I think they're disabled, but I prefer to delete them anyway.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_O_P View Post
It's a tricky question to answer.

Everyone knows of Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro X when it comes to video editing and are most likely the most commonly utilized among corporate, Youtubers, indy, etc. I think there is even more third party support for them compared to the other video editors that are out there.

From what I read though, major movie companies in Hollywood have used Avid Media Composer for decades. Davinci Resolve is a colour grade program commonly used for major films, though it's NLE functions have made it a compelling video editor to consider over the years.

If I were to guess... I would say Avid Media Composer would be the legacy industry standard while Adobe Premiere is becoming the new industry standard.
I am going to have to give them a try. Thank you man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Check your audio effects in Vegas. I know that here, you get a default comp, eq, and something else on audio tracks. I think they're disabled, but I prefer to delete them anyway.
Thanks! I took off the audio effects and it helped alot but I still notice it sounds a bit different. It's minuscule but I can notice it.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Addict

Sony Vegas vs Premiere vs Final Cut - the differences are going to be in workflow mostly, not audio quality. What can cause a difference is the render format settings and codecs being used.
  • Are you starting with 24 bit and the codec is truncating to 16 bit?
  • Are you using wav as a source file but the NLE is using a lossy audio compression on export?
  • Is dithering enabled or needed?

These are configurations I would check if the render is sounding different. I used to use Vegas but have used Adobe Premiere exclusively for the last 3 years. I don't recall any audio differences. I like the Vegas workflow. Reminds me of a DAW.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBOYO View Post
I know I am not crazy.
I am not sure why placebo is so often characterized as a form of "insanity". It is not. It is human nature to expect a difference and then perceive this difference.
Quote:
...but I still notice it sounds a bit different. It's minuscule but I can notice it.
You mean you can still notice this minuscule difference while you are looking at the screen and it says "Vegas" across the top? Can you notice it when you are blindfolded and someone else is switching the files?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am going to have to give them a try. Thank you man.

Thanks! I took off the audio effects and it helped alot but I still notice it sounds a bit different. It's minuscule but I can notice it.

You're into territory where about the only rational way forward invoves null testing.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear