The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many plugins do you have stashed away waiting to try?
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
How many plugins do you have stashed away waiting to try?

I checked my folder where I put this stuff. Over 200. I need Plugins Anonymous.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Same here, but I have at least tried all mine but many not for enough time to know them well. What is more my situation is when I have to reload my operating system and I just go slow putting stuff back on and never get around to installing everything back.

Like, here's a biggie. I have Altiverb 7, got it a good while back, just had to reload my system here about 6 months ago, bought a 1tb SSD drive, hated to just put gobs of stuff back on, things like a 4gb Altiverb or whatever the size when I already use Nebula 3 and just fell in love with IK Sunset sound, also downloaded the free Bricasti ir files and can use them and I have Nimbus and I am just loaded with reverbs, so I just haven't loaded Altiverb back on yet. I start to and think "I like it just fine, but we'll I just don't actually need it and I hate to write gigs of a program to my SSD and then bring it up and use it once every 6 months.

I will put it back on because it was purchased for me by my son as a father's day gift so I wouldn't want him to see me not having it installed, but he's a truck driver so I don't think I have to worry much about that.

But yeah, it's just that we get so many plugs that go on these crazy sales, I mean I have tons of Waves gotten for 29 dollars, PA sales and vouchers, then great value stuff like Fuse and Kush, Arturia, Black rooster, PSP, I mean the prices these days are just crazy low.

Heck, there are so many great free plugs you could do just about anything you ever need with those, and I mean quality free stuff, Tokyo Dawn, Air Windows, just gobs of them. Get all the good free ones and a bunch of the cheap stuff from SKnote, Kush, Fuse, I mean, no wonder we can't get around to using all these.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
True enough!

To be clear: I'm not saying I have 200 plugins. Or that I have 200 plugins I haven't dug into enough to know how good they are or aren't. I'm saying I have 200 plugins I haven't so much as unzipped. ugh.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

None. If I own it I have not only used it but have gotten to know it and used it on at least a few real projects.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
None. If I own it I have not only used it but have gotten to know it and used it on at least a few real projects.
I hate people like you.

Because I'm not one of them.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

None. I have tried lots of stuff but I since like very few plugins my folder is very slim.

Besides Id rather have e.g. 1 compressor that I know very well and its flexible enough to do whatever I nees to do, than million compressors..

I know ppl go on about different flavours but I see my selection of plugins being part of MY flavor
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

None. I have recently sorted my plugins in my daw into categories (eg EQ, compressors, synths, etc) and one sub folder of “Less Used” - those could eventually be candidates to sell, but not usually, because they have usefulness in some situations. Or for some flavor.

There’s very few things remaining for me to get, in my opinion, that I even half need (eg a spring reverb plugin).
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Cmon surely I'm not the only one...not even a few? Something that appealed or was interesting to you but haven't had time to get back to it?
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Another 'None' here.

I have a couple on my UAD wishlist but I've tried the demos of them already, just don't have the moolah.

@ bill5 - if they were that interesting or even remotely necessary for your workflow you would have tried them already.. just sayin'
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
You people have serious non-hoarding issues.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
You people have serious non-hoarding issues.
I was going to boast about my self-discipline, but I just looked in my downloads folder and I found 5 zip files for freebie plugins that I never got around to installing. So a little hoarding. But manageable! The thing is, I forgot what these plugs are, what they do and why I wanted them in the first place. I suppose I could look them up.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
So a little hoarding.
It's a start!
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
It's a start!
I have plugs that came with a bundle where I installed the primary plugs for which I bought the bundle but never got around to installing the others. I need to spend some time with these.

I have new versions of old plugins I upgraded to, installed and then decided I liked the old version better - so uninstalled the new version (Nectar).

Also have some freebee plugs I cant get to work. Like one from Vahala - because its free their standard download/install process doesn't apply; because its free there is no applicable installation documentation; because its free there is no support. So it sits.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

I have a few of those 'free with purchase' plugins from Plugin boutique lying around. I'll get to them eventually.

I also have a plugin where I paid for an upgrade but never bothered installing it. The thing is that the original version is just fine so I'm not sure why I upgraded in the first place.
I kind of feel like a sucker for being pressured by the limited time upgrade offer but I also feel like it's a good thing to support developers you like so whatever. And like I said above, I'll get around to it eventually.
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear
I recently did a complete reorganization of my plugins in Logic. I’m not sure to what extent you can do this in Pro Tools, but the customization in Logic’s Plugin Manager is fairly deep.

I’ve tried all kinds of things - put all my LA2As opto comps into one drop down menu, all my 1176s and FET comps into one, SSL emulations for EQ and channel strips, Neve, etc etc... it didn’t work. I was used too used to finding plugins by company name, and found it was more of an exercise of “What do I have?” rather than “What do I use?”.

For a while afterward, I simply threw everything into Logic’s stock menus - every goddamn comp into Dynamics, EQs into EQ, reverb into Reverb etc. This worked fine, but I was still mousing through long lists, especially when going for UAD plugins that are listed at the bottom of every list due to the fact that they all begin with “UAD” which puts them basically last alphabetically.

Inspired by a few neighbor threads to this one, I reorganized last week and have found what I think is the best of both worlds. My go-to compressors in Dynamics, go-to EQs in EQ, a new menu for limiters, a 2-buss menu for my usual suspects for the stereo bus, etc. I tried to keep the initial drop down menu to about 10 plugins tops - for the 2-buss, this was perfect as it included three different bus comps I use, the EQ and saturation etc. My compressor drop down has more, but I really do use all of them on pretty much every mix, with various parallel compression I do on drums and vocals.

Each category has an “Alternative” sub menu, and this is where I sort the rest by manufacturer. If I’m feeling like a track or part is unique, or if I’m up against the DSP threshold with UAD, and my native go-to’s aren’t working or inspiring at the moment, I usually think about which company has the compatible tool with what I’m going for. And that works for me.

TLDR; I have way too many plugins, and had to organize them because my drop down menus took up almost all my screen 😳
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylan View Post
...but I was still mousing through long lists, especially when going for UAD plugins that are listed at the bottom of every list due to the fact that they all begin with “UAD” which puts them basically last alphabetically.
boy does that sound familiar!

In Pro Tools, you can organize your list by category, or by manufacturer or both, which can be useful, because sometimes the plugin I think of as a "reverb", they consider it an "effect" or a "delay". But either way UAD is going to be near the bottom. Not as far down as Zynaptiq though.

Quote:
Each category has an “Alternative” sub menu, and this is where I sort the rest by manufacturer. ...
I don't think Pro Tools can go that deep in organizing plugins. You can create a "favorites" list that appears at the top, but I think what you are doing - having an "alternatives" list is preferable. My "favorites" list is in constant danger of getting too long which would defeat the purpose. And being able to not only have subfolders, but being able to decide how you want to sort them is very impressive.
📝 Reply