The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bought a desktop for music a month ago. Want to go back to a laptop.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Head

Bought a desktop for music a month ago. Want to go back to a laptop.

As per the title - I bought a desktop for production in July (on the basis of advice given here on GS) as my laptop is very old and has crappy specs. While I am sure the desktop is going to be great at handling whatever I throw at it, and it was good value for money, I have not even tried to make music since I got it.

Part of that stems from a more long-term lack of productivity and creativity I've had since lockdown (I know, funny that), but also I'm just really reluctant to use this PC, and I can't fully explain why. Somehow, the thought that I am tied to it, and that I bought it specifically to make music on, really messes with me. I'd rather have a laptop on which I do everything - it feels too bougie to have both a desktop and a laptop. I'm at that point now where I just want to sell it, and upgrade my old laptop to a new and better one - something like a Thinkpad running i7 with a decent amount of RAM.

However, part of me is thinking that I'm being unreasonable. I spent so long figuring out the specs I wanted for the desktop, and a while sorting it out when I received it, and now it's just sitting there. I feel really stupid.

What are your thoughts on this? Feel like I'm letting myself and others down here!
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
When I feel uncreative I practice my classical piano pieces I am currently working on. Then at least I did something to improve mY musicianship even if I didn’t do anything awesome, and it fosters discipline which is what many mistake for talent. So if I can’t be awesome I can get better, and then someday maybe I will be awesome.

If you can play, the computer is probably not the bottleneck. I spend a lot of time editing midi, but it is usually stuff I should have played in by hand in the first place.

See, I am rationalizing away your need for this computer or that computer. It’s bougie to be obsessed with objects.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Imagine how bougie it must feel to have like a building with musical instruments all in it....microphones to record them-can you imagine preamps that are NOT part of a USB audio interface....a hunk of heat making $500k electronics with a millin knobs that requires an extra AC unit and a full time electronics tech to keep up....monitors that only serve the purpose of mixing and mastering all this narcissistic pursuit.

Now imagine if literally every recording you've ever heard was made in one of these rooms in whole or part.

I guess the bar for bourgeoisie is ever moving down in the internet age.
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

I think you're going to be fine. I experienced the same thing when I upgraded to my Mac mini setup. The whole thing was almost too pristine to want to touch. Add the fact that Covid has sucked a lot of joy out of the world, and I was getting nothing done. Now I do this:
1) Wake up and turn on the computer.
2) listen to a song I love while the coffee brews.
3) Say this in my head: "I'm lucky to have this awesome set up. What I do next doesn't have to be perfect."
4) Sit down at the computer and commit to spending 30 mins making music or mixing.

Try it. Cheesy, but it works every time. Always gets the train rolling. You'll do great. Have fun!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
I love the positivity in this thread, it's really a big reason why I love Gearslutz.

I went from a MBP to a desktop about a year ago and honestly, I just love it.

Keep in mind that while you purchased your desktop for music production, there's nothing stopping you from using it to do many other things (e.g. play games, do your taxes, watch movies .etc). I personally use my PC for everything and an iPad for entertainment while I'm having a meal or whatever. Why not start by using the new computer for other things to get comfortable with it?

I think another point is also not to be too hard on yourself for not feeling creative, I can totally relate to the feeling and I'm sure we've all faced it from time to time.

I find a good approach in that case is to work on something that I've already started rather than trying to start something from scratch.

Also, watching documentaries, production tutorials or other music related things that inspire you can also help. I've been watching this amazing series on classical composers recently (it's called "Now Hear This" and all 4 episodes are on YouTube in case you're interested). Listening to music you really love or discovering new music by others is also a way to get inspired.

I would hold off selling the new PC for a little while longer personally, parts are much harder to get a hold of and prices have gone up, so I just don't want you to regret it. You'll almost always get better bang for buck and performance with a desktop and it imho is more ideal for music production in a studio environment (unless you travel a lot). Of course, ultimately if you really feel that having your music production system on a laptop suits you better in a few more weeks .etc, then you could maybe reconsider.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

A computer, laptop or desktop, is just a tool, two different kinds of hammer, if you will. I cannot relate to the idea that one would inspire me while the other wouldn't, personally.

Not criticizing, just saying.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

It sounds like you're possibly using this as a focal point to justify your lack of creativity. And that's fine... Things are tough generally at the moment, and, speaking personally, I also am having the same issues as you.... very little output in the last few months.

Our brains have ways of redirecting 'stuff'... it's why you often see people with Generalised Anxiety Disorder (for example) finding external loci to fixate onto.... it helps us make sense of the chaos of reality.

Maybe rather than looking at the new desktop as being the 'cause' of the lack of creativity, try and examine it in a wider context..
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
A computer, laptop or desktop, is just a tool, two different kinds of hammer, if you will. I cannot relate to the idea that one would inspire me while the other wouldn't, personally.

Not criticizing, just saying.
Not criticising, but kind of sounds like a criticism.....
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsongdc View Post
I think you're going to be fine. I experienced the same thing when I upgraded to my Mac mini setup. The whole thing was almost too pristine to want to touch. Add the fact that Covid has sucked a lot of joy out of the world, and I was getting nothing done. Now I do this:
1) Wake up and turn on the computer.
2) listen to a song I love while the coffee brews.
3) Say this in my head: "I'm lucky to have this awesome set up. What I do next doesn't have to be perfect."
4) Sit down at the computer and commit to spending 30 mins making music or mixing.

Try it. Cheesy, but it works every time. Always gets the train rolling. You'll do great. Have fun!
I'm glad someone relates. I do think this is part of a more general drop in creativity and increased low mood for me, which I will have to work through. Thank you for being so positive!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post

I guess the bar for bourgeoisie is ever moving down in the internet age.
What I sound maybe sounds a bit dramatic, but I can justify it. I've recently had regular contact with people who have next to nothing - I'm disgusted by the thought of how much more I have compared to them. It's not a feeling that I can easily describe, but it's the factor behind a lot of these thoughts, I reckon. Maybe I should have mentioned all that to begin with.

No need to address this as I know it's not something anyone can easily respond to. Just clarifying.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

funny... i don't have a prob with creativity... i have a prob with gumption lol. as for the other... i have a brand new MBP 13 and it is so nice and pristine i have a prob pulling it out lol. don't want to get it dusty so don't feel like the lonesome stranger cheers
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritusdave View Post
Not criticising, but kind of sounds like a criticism.....
I honestly don’t intend that, it’s just a factual statement.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear