The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softsynths of the calibre of U-HE
Old 6th August 2020
Softsynths of the calibre of U-HE

I'm a recent proud new owner of UH-e complete synth bundle and am only regretting not buying them before other analog emulations in my tool box, as nearly everything sounds somewhat stale in comparison. (especially the Arturia stuff -- though I *love* pigments for modern sounds)

I'm just curious if there are any other synth devs whose catalog are generally considered on par with the Uh-e stuff? Does Pulsar Modular P900 come close? Or Madrona Labs?

I have Omnisphere, The Legend and Monark -- all are excellent but just don't seem to be as full and alive as Diva, Repro and others, when it comes to replicating analog sound.
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

U-HE Diva + Repro are great, I own them since day 1. But honestly theres also that huge hype that makes them look like they stand out. If we just talk about emulations of old synth and how accurate they are, compare waveforms and filters and bla bla, then Synapse Audio stuff plays in the same league in my opinion. I bought Obsession a while ago, its amazing. But on the other hand, when its just comes to making music, Arturia stuff and pretty much any other vintage synth emulations sound as good.
And by the way, and "modern" synth where you can modulate Filter and Pitch or Envelopes with LFO\Random, can sound "analog" or "alive".
Oh, and Synapse Audio The Legend does not impress you much? I think its pretty much the best Moog emulation in existence. Its like a 1:1 Mini Moog sound
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear
Actually I also think u-he stuff has a sound to them, including their fx plug-ins. Being not really a synth. guy, when demo'ed the legend I thought it was going to be harder to mix as the sound being so direct (which in reality is a good thing).

I also like how dune 3, synthmaster1 sounds in their own way butdon't like the idea of limiting myself to that aspect too much.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Synapse Audio
Xils
Omnisphere
Massive X (sound quality anyway)
Old 7th August 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

You could argue there aren't any.

The Madrona stuff is very different, but I would say it's close to the same tier. Softube Modular is if you buy the add ons and want to do it that way. With a Roli Lightblock and the Mutable Instruments stuff you would never know it was software, very cpu heavy though at least when it starts to get complex.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Outside of what's been mentioned... Serum, Sylenth, Arturia

To do better than these, you should consider hardware, like a Virus TI2 desktop. It comes with a VST editor for recall, tweaking, and preset selection.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Completely different flavor yet equally as real-sounding : Plogue’s Chipsynths. I can’t wait for their DX-7.
Razor is also quite amazing.
Finally, I’m pretty sure upcoming Rhyzomatic Plasmonic will be incredible, the demos sound fantastic.
📝 Reply