The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New 27 inch Imac's out
Old 4th August 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

New 27 inch Imac's out

Not sure if this was posted but I was literally going today to spec out a new 27 inch one to replace my 2014 model and BAM! there it was

10th gen i9's up to 10 core

i NEVER get this lucky!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/04...0th-gen-intel/

https://www.apple.com/mac/

last intel Imac???
Old 4th August 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

How can I know if it is possible to "ram it up" myself?
Old 4th August 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
How can I know if it is possible to "ram it up" myself?
Go to the Apple store and check out the Tech Specs>Memory for the new 2020 27” iMac. It says “user accessible”.
Old 4th August 2020
  #4
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Not sure if this was posted but I was literally going today to spec out a new 27 inch one to replace my 2014 model and BAM! there it was

10th gen i9's up to 10 core

i NEVER get this lucky!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/04...0th-gen-intel/

https://www.apple.com/mac/

last intel Imac???
Too bad its got a T2 chip in it.
Old 4th August 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

You are correct
Thanks

Spoke to Apple
Custom orders 3weeks wait now

Has anybody with the I9 chip experienced fan noise?
The posts I’ve read all say it runs quiet.
Would the IMac Pro be quieter or the same?
Old 4th August 2020
  #6
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
You are correct
Thanks

Spoke to Apple
Custom orders 3weeks wait now

Has anybody with the I9 chip experienced fan noise?
The posts I’ve read all say it runs quiet.
Would the IMac Pro be quieter or the same?
My 2019 5k i9 is almost always silent. Really takes a lot for the fans to kick up noise.
Old 4th August 2020
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Hah wow, and I just splurged on a maxed out 2019 iMac at the end of last year. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't go for an entry or mid-level iMac Pro (as I was considering)... I'd probably be pretty bummed right now.
Old 4th August 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
uOpt's Avatar
5k display for a good price here.
Old 5th August 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

Damn Apple!
Wasn't expecting to buy a new computer today but I got the bug after the 10 core dropped.

Spoke in length with an apple rep and he convinced me to try it out for 2 weeks and see if I get any fan noise.

Will stick my own 64 gigs of ram in and give it some heavy sessions.

My 23" apple cinema display will not work however and it's a great 2nd monitor. Gives me an excuse to buy a 30" Wondering if anybody has suggestions? 4K should be fine.

Last edited by jayfield; 5th August 2020 at 01:18 AM..
Old 5th August 2020
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
Too bad its got a T2 chip in it.
The T2 is still a problem? What pain does it cause?
Old 5th August 2020
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Damn Apple!
Wasn't expecting to buy a new computer today but I got the bug after the 10 core dropped.

Spoke in length with an apple rep and he convinced me to try it out for 2 weeks and see if I get any fan noise.

Will stick my own 64 gigs of ram in and give it some heavy sessions.

My 23" apple cinema display will not work however and it's a great 2nd monitor. Gives me an excuse to buy a 30" Wondering if anybody has suggestions? 4K should be fine.
thank you for posting this jayfield this is my exact issue! I need the most power but cannot have fan noise. Which video card are you going with , the stock one? Are you getting the newfangled screen? Amazing you can test it and return it if it fails.

From what I've read the iMac Pro is dead quiet but it's $2000 more!

Please do keep us posted with the results!!
Old 5th August 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

Apple has a very good return policy. Just keep it within 14 days.

I've read everything I can find on the i9. Only brief fan noise I can find was caused by bouncing multiple tracks at the same time.

Likely it won't arrive til Aug 20th as its a custom order. I upped the SSD to 1 TB
Standard now is 500GBs. Bye bye Fusion drives.

Found 64 gigs of OWC Ram on Amazon for half of Apples price.

I'm really not anticipating any issues but its always nice to know it is easily
returnable.
Old 5th August 2020
  #13
Gear Head
 

I wonder if the choice of video card can help or hinder the heat issue
Old 5th August 2020
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Sooooo... with the transition to Apple Silicon coming up, I’m even more in doubt on what to take.

Intel based has a very clear death sentence, whereas an Apple Si based is more future proof.

If I wait until the Apple Si iMacs are released will I then have to re-buy all my plugins and instruments? Or will support for intel based be dropped by apple ASAP? Hence no more Logic updates.

My 2011 iMac is long overdue for replacement. But dropping >2000 $ on a machine that might be obsolete two years from now is not fun either.

I am no where Pro enough to just drop 6,000$ every year. Not even pro enough to spend 2,000$ every 5th year.

I know you can only give your thoughts. Facts I will have to get from Apple and for some reason they are reluctant to share them ;-)
Old 5th August 2020
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

I guess support for Intel mac will last for “years” = at least 2 years.

Now if they just said that they would follow the normal procedure:
<5 years = software updates given, but not all new features might work
>5 years = vintage = software updates might stop
>7 years= obsolete = forget about it.
Old 5th August 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

I hear ya.

I also have a 2011 iMac that has served me well with an internal 1 TB SSD upgrade

I thought long and hard and almost bought into the iMac Pro deal.

However, I bought the i9 10 core yesterday.

It's single core processing is faster than the iMac pro.

One never knows Apples long term plans. I did get screwed before with my G5 when Apple changed to Intel chips.


Here is an article claiming Intel Macs will be supported for years to come. I sure hope so. For the time being I'm gonna get to work with this new box, while the Silicon change over happens and software companies get their coding together.


https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-stil...years-to-come/
Old 5th August 2020
  #17
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Spoke in length with an apple rep and he convinced me to try it out for 2 weeks and see if I get any fan noise.
I have last year's model and it rarely makes ANY noise, you'll be loving it unless they changed anything major this year. I had researched this extensively since I want to track in the same room.
Old 5th August 2020
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post

If I wait until the Apple Si iMacs are released will I then have to re-buy all my plugins and instruments?
Softube wrote me that they’re all dedicated to Apple products so I should be able to receive updates to any Apple Si based Macs. And for free :-)

He could not make any promises on the timeline though. But that’s fair enough at least since it’s only 1 month old news.
Old 5th August 2020
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Ethereality's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
You are correct
Thanks

Spoke to Apple
Custom orders 3weeks wait now

Has anybody with the I9 chip experienced fan noise?
The posts I’ve read all say it runs quiet.
Would the IMac Pro be quieter or the same?
I recently moved from Windows and picked up a used iMac 2019 i9 8 Core 32GB, I haven't pushed it anywhere near its limit but it's never made any fan noise and barely gets warm.
Old 5th August 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

Thanks Zenco and Ether R

Somebody must have commented about iMac fan noise at some point
It didn't make sense that the fastest iMac which many musicians are looking for, would have the fans chuggin along,

Good to hear your experience with the i9
Old 5th August 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
 
uOpt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfield View Post
Apple has a very good return policy. Just keep it within 14 days.
But don't they have a restocking fee (15%?) on that policy?
Old 5th August 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
 
uOpt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synpatico View Post
I wonder if the choice of video card can help or hinder the heat issue
That will likely also depend on whether you connect external monitors.

Some recent Macs have the annoying habit of pushing much more amps when an external monitor is connected.
Old 5th August 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
 
uOpt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
Sooooo... with the transition to Apple Silicon coming up, I’m even more in doubt on what to take.

Intel based has a very clear death sentence, whereas an Apple Si based is more future proof.

If I wait until the Apple Si iMacs are released will I then have to re-buy all my plugins and instruments? Or will support for intel based be dropped by apple ASAP? Hence no more Logic updates.
Apple will drop my 2012 MBP (pre-retina) only from the next major OS upgrade in 2020, and then I will still get security fixes for Catalina for a while. It looks like they are in the mood to support older hardware a lot longer than they were after the PowerPC->Intel transition.

Logic Pro is a different matter, though. Unlike other vendors who can charge you a few (hopefully) bucks for backporting endlessly Apple will do no such thing once they drop active porting of LP and all its plugins.
Old 5th August 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Apple will drop my 2012 MBP (pre-retina) only from the next major OS upgrade in 2020, and then I will still get security fixes for Catalina for a while. It looks like they are in the mood to support older hardware a lot longer than they were after the PowerPC->Intel transition.

Logic Pro is a different matter, though. Unlike other vendors who can charge you a few (hopefully) bucks for backporting endlessly Apple will do no such thing once they drop active porting of LP and all its plugins.
I wouldn’t interpret your experience as having ANYTHING to do with Apple’s future software support of Intel over the transition. It is relatively trivial for them to continue to support an older Intel Mac with new OS updates as long they are using Intel chips.
Old 5th August 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
Sooooo... with the transition to Apple Silicon coming up, I’m even more in doubt on what to take.

Intel based has a very clear death sentence, whereas an Apple Si based is more future proof.

If I wait until the Apple Si iMacs are released will I then have to re-buy all my plugins and instruments? Or will support for intel based be dropped by apple ASAP? Hence no more Logic updates.

My 2011 iMac is long overdue for replacement. But dropping >2000 $ on a machine that might be obsolete two years from now is not fun either.

I am no where Pro enough to just drop 6,000$ every year. Not even pro enough to spend 2,000$ every 5th year.

I know you can only give your thoughts. Facts I will have to get from Apple and for some reason they are reluctant to share them ;-)
If you need a newer Mac today and don’t want to be on the hook for a $2000 computer, why not find a used one to tide you over? I’ve had good luck with used Macs, because I also am not “pro” enough to drop $$$$ on a computer every couple years.
Old 5th August 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 

I know this is a tired argument but it really blows my mind that by default you can order any one of these new iMacs for an $1800 - $2300 starting price with 8gb of memory.
Old 5th August 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

I think, all things considered that I may be going for this

10 core i9
8 gigs ram - upgrade myself to 64
1TB SSD
regular scree

i reaad from apple that the Nano is more for if you have a weirdly lit room or something?

probably the basic video card for me, although I also have an OLD apple monitor TB connected to this 2014 imac i have, will this not work with this imac?

if not i will also look for a good 30 inch TB monitor

anyone have any suggestions? thanks!
Old 5th August 2020
  #28
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
That will likely also depend on whether you connect external monitors.

Some recent Macs have the annoying habit of pushing much more amps when an external monitor is connected.
thanks. no plan for external monitors in the near future.
Old 6th August 2020
  #29
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

I looked around extensively for a 32 “ monitor
I need one with an adjustable stand
Bought this guy as it was very highly rated for the price

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/d...r/pd3200q.html

Last edited by jayfield; 6th August 2020 at 01:29 AM..
Old 6th August 2020
  #30
Lives for gear
 
jayfield's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
My 2019 5k i9 is almost always silent. Really takes a lot for the fans to kick up noise.

Wondering if you record at 96Khz? How low can you get your buffer size without crackles.I imagine your not needing to bounce tracks to save CPU?

I have to wait for the new 10 core to arrive. Quite psyched to get it up and running.

I plan to do a fresh install of everything starting with Logic. Then my Yamaha Montage drivers, Metric Halo ULN8 ethernet drivers and console.

Then start down the list of Specrasonics, Izotope, etc. Gonna take a few days but don't trust time machine or migration assistant.
There's always the slight possibility that something doesn't configure properly and then it could be hard to find the offending file.

I must have tons of ghost files on my old iMac. as its been through 6 or 7 operating systems
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4589 views: 575421
Avatar for stixstudios
stixstudios 20th May 2020
replies: 360 views: 66210
Avatar for toowrongfoo
toowrongfoo 30th November 2017
replies: 1109 views: 127396
Avatar for Roadside
Roadside 12th May 2020
replies: 93 views: 5381
Avatar for dapz
dapz 4 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump