Here for the gear

That’s the Info I’ve been searching for three weeks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post

The results:

i9: 21 Plugins, average clock speed: 4.12 ghz, max: 87°
i7: 21 Plugins, average clock speed: 4.40 ghz, max: 78
In 99,99% of all Information I’ve found searching the web
it is never about the heat in comparison.

I go with the i7 keeping the heat/fan more down

"So does any one have a similar experience with the graphics
radeon pro 5500xt vs 5700xt acording to the GPU heat produced under the same level of work?"

Thank you !-)

Last edited by Germanfunk; 3 days ago at 04:19 PM.. Reason: don´t know where else to
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowudders View Post
For comparison: a Mac Pro 5,1 cheesegrater 12-core 3,46ghz 48gig ram, Mojave (NOT Catalina, this may matter or not)

so, this is testing the single core speed, the 10th gen i-series can boost up to 5ghz and is much newer, of course my poor old xeon gets totally slaughtered in this test

I only have Mojave installed and in Logic 10.5.1 I get 8 stepFX (in Logic 10.4.8 i only got 6 - shows that the Logic-programmers improved the engine, especially the 'Live & Playback Tracks'- mode quite a bit)

in a realworld scenario (which this test IMO doesn't reflect at all) the 8 more threads of my two xeons compared to the i7 8 core make the gap much narrower, and the mac pro can sustain it's highest clock for days without going to 100 degrees and temp throttle.

maybe somebody wants to run the 'diva test', i find this one also interesting, my mac gets 23 tracks here:
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/v...rt=140#p757714
Thanks for taking the test

Yes this test stresses one single core more than the others (but there all working, so not a pure single core test) to see if this gives more plugin headroom. In a lot of mixing sessions at some point tracks get bussed and maybe bussed even further and than all go to the same mixbus with sometimes (very) cpu intensive plugins. At some point (at least in Pro Tools and Logic) they are all getting calculated by the same core, which can lead to the situation that playback is not possible even though 80% of the cores are below 20% load. This test was made to see if the higher single core speed of the i7 can give more plugin headroom than the i9 (they are pretty much even) I hope that explains it
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
In a lot of mixing sessions at some point tracks get bussed and maybe bussed even further and than all go to the same mixbus with sometimes (very) cpu intensive plugins. At some point (at least in Pro Tools and Logic) they are all getting calculated by the same core, which can lead to the situation that playback is not possible even though 80% of the cores are below 20% load.
I've been scratching my head about this, because i always do very CPU intensive sessions with lots of outboard inserts (via the I/O) and instruments but never came across core 1 spiking, making a session unplayable, my cores are always balanced.

so may i ask: why don't you just switch to 'Multithreading: Playback Tracks' and enjoy all the stepFXs in this world?

the 'Playback & Live Tracks' mode _sometimes_ has its benefits (using 'external instruments' during composing), for mixing especially i find it totally useless.

But thanks for bringing this to my attention again with your test.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Just a quick update. Got my shipping notice that it will be here thursday! ive been moving things to dropbox to add back. cubase projects and data folders etc

I will add the ram first thing then start getting it all up and working. whew, the amount of time I have spent trying to just log into vendors sites to see what in the world i have from them lol, man, i have done at least a dozen FORGOT PASSWORD lol.

i sure have a whole lot of plugs going back to 2009. time for a massive cleanup! and for me, i am only loading cubase this time, the years of multiple DAWs for me is over.

ps - interesting mine was made and shipped from ireland via germany! who knew
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Can you guys help me decide what video card to select for a 2002 iMac.

I would go i7 and 64GB of OWC RAM but I am not sure what video card to select. I might do a little Photoshop editing and might get into video editing in the future but let's just pretend that this computer will be 100% DAW use.

Funny thing is I already purchased a i9-10900k chip to build my own machine. I am now second guessing what I am going to do. The money savings of Logic X versus Ableton 10 Suite is worth considering.

So, which video card would you choose?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Just a quick update. Got my shipping notice that it will be here thursday! ive been moving things to dropbox to add back. cubase projects and data folders etc

I will add the ram first thing then start getting it all up and working. whew, the amount of time I have spent trying to just log into vendors sites to see what in the world i have from them lol, man, i have done at least a dozen FORGOT PASSWORD lol.

i sure have a whole lot of plugs going back to 2009. time for a massive cleanup! and for me, i am only loading cubase this time, the years of multiple DAWs for me is over.

ps - interesting mine was made and shipped from ireland via germany! who knew
Mine is coming from Ireland via Germany too. Should be here Thurs.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy View Post
Can you guys help me decide what video card to select for a 2002 iMac.

I would go i7 and 64GB of OWC RAM but I am not sure what video card to select. I might do a little Photoshop editing and might get into video editing in the future but let's just pretend that this computer will be 100% DAW use.

Funny thing is I already purchased a i9-10900k chip to build my own machine. I am now second guessing what I am going to do. The money savings of Logic X versus Ableton 10 Suite is worth considering.

So, which video card would you choose?
Just for DAW use... stock

For Video and Photo editing....... the mid spec at the minimum
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Just for DAW use... stock

For Video and Photo editing....... the mid spec at the minimum
Thank you for the reply. I guess I am. Just worried about GPU related fan noise. Is fan noise more of a concern on the stock GPU or aftermarket GPU? Would adding a second monitor affect this?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I plan on doing a small amount of non pro Final Cut videos for my music, for fun, and some family stuff, as well as photo editing. But non of it on a pro level so i went for the mid range one. I figured its not the full blown one and fan noise shouldn't be any issue, and its also more powerful than stock. not to mention its far more powerful than what i have in the 2014 one.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I guess I am. Just worried about GPU related fan noise. Is fan noise more of a concern on the stock GPU or aftermarket GPU? Would adding a second monitor affect this?
This is where my level of expertise runs out. I would suggest looking up Max Tech on YouTube and check out their reviews they cover a lot of detail, and are the only channel I see that include any kind of DAW use in the reviews / comparisons. They definitely cover off the upgraded graphics in the buyers guide video too, but I wasn't paying attention to that section.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I did a test. Results postet previously here: New 27 inch Imac's out

I have the 5700XT, 16 GB gpu. Basically I cannot measure any noise during normal operation. The background noise in my room is around 30 dB(A) and I get the same level with my computer at idle or running the demo track included in Logic. Putting max load on the GPU with a handbrake encode increases noise to 40-42 dB.

Subjectivity it’s the same. Can’t hear if it’s turned on unless I ask it to do some serious work.

My background noise might be a bit on the high end. It’s just a standard house and nothing has been done to isolate the room. A proper studio is probably better.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Well, out for delivery, by 9pm!

I have one question, should i power it on and set it up and then add the new ram? or just add the new ram and then power it on

I am leaning power it on and make sure it works, set it up for icloud etc. then once it all checks out, add the new ram
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well, out for delivery, by 9pm!

I have one question, should i power it on and set it up and then add the new ram? or just add the new ram and then power it on

I am leaning power it on and make sure it works, set it up for icloud etc. then once it all checks out, add the new ram
Definitely Power on first.

In case your new ram is faulty or something. Rare but you never know.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAnthony View Post
Definitely Power on first.

In case your new ram is faulty or something. Rare but you never know.
yep, makes total sense

and! just got a UPS notification it has been delivered, checked my home camera and! UPS left it smack in the middle of the driveway, in where a water drain is

thank god its not raining. so, off to rescue this
Old 11 hours ago
SKS
Here for the gear

Quote:
yep, makes total sense

and! just got a UPS notification it has been delivered, checked my home camera and! UPS left it smack in the middle of the driveway, in where a water drain is

thank god its not raining. so, off to rescue this

Yikes, get a move on!

Once you’ve installed your new ram, don’t freak out if the iMac takes a little longer to boot on the first attempt, sometimes takes a bit of time to adjust.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
Yikes, get a move on!

Once you’ve installed your new ram, don’t freak out if the iMac takes a little longer to boot on the first attempt, sometimes takes a bit of time to adjust.
thanks the heads up, that would probably make me freak a bit after them just dumping it off in the drain! lol
📝 Reply