The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New 27 inch Imac's out
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Catalina came out in 2019 pretty much everything after 2012 is still supported - there is no reason for Apple to depart this maybe PPC to Intel is a bigger leap than Intel to Apple Silicon

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

and Big Sur support most everything 2014 and newer as well as some 20313 stuff

https://osxdaily.com/2020/07/02/maco...mpatible-macs/
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Apple are pretty ruthless with removing support for legacy platforms, unless your mac dies or you have a specific use case like boot camp buying an Intel based Mac will lead to tears in two to three years when Apple start removing support.

Not a problem if you can afford to expense the mac over three years but don't expect to get updates and support for a legacy platform beyond the stated two years.

I use LPX and would be very surprised if Apple don't achieve a 2x improvement with Apple Silicon over the previous Intel models or course third party software may take time to port over, and some won't, but the transition for developers will be a lot easier with the first party Xcode.

BTW Unfortunately the standard iMacs are very noisy under load, remember Intel only guarantees the lower clock speed within the quoted thermal envelope if you want sustained performance at the turbo speeds you require the improved cooling of the iMac Pro.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

As the likely last iMac to support native Windows boot up I reckon these ones might be pretty popular.

We run Revit on iMacs at my office and the top of the line 3.8i7 with the 5500xt is the best iMac for ages (that doesn’t require upgrading the CPU in order to get the hyper threading option).
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

This guy makes some great points on the coming Silicon IMacs
And the pros of the i9 that just dropped

“I’m goin in coach”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D9a8SzoAbPU
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Any input on the i9 vs i7? I don’t care much about the video card, but the i7 isn’t available on the mid tier option with the base graphics.
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_lupine View Post
I am very tempted to order a 10-core iMac but I am worried about the possible fan noise I could get from it.

Since the cooling system is essentially the same, is there somebody who own a 2019 i9 iMac that can tell me if that's particularly annoying?
I am currently using an i9 MacBook Pro and my main activity is running Cubase with Vienna Ensemble Pro and about 50 MIDI VST tracks. During recording, with buffer at 128, the fans always scream like crazy, even when not playing back the project :(
I’m the same. I’m thinking about using this new 10-core IMac to transition from my 2013 Trash Can, buy I’m a bit scared about the noise. I use Logic and record in my room lots of acoustic guitars...
My lovely trash can is definitely showing signs of age now and I don’t want to go to the new Mac Pro.
I use at least a hundred tracks per project here ... Many kontakts, etc...
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Good points everyone

I really want the 10 core and the highest graphics card because I use these for 7-9 years and I would like to buy for the future

however if that means its unusable and noisy then maybe the i7 8 core is the way to go

my 2014 is still running fine but its hitting the limits and I have had some issues with freezing, and other things

i am going to hopefully find and see any reports on the fans on this maxed out, hope you all do as well
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Good points everyone

I really want the 10 core and the highest graphics card because I use these for 7-9 years and I would like to buy for the future

however if that means its unusable and noisy then maybe the i7 8 core is the way to go
The 10-core has a TDP of 165 Watt, the 8-core of 125 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-70-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-10-ghz.html

Given same housing the 8-core is a safer bet for being quiet.

I was surprised when I looked these up just now. 165W is a lot.

ETA: here is the 6-core, 65 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-80-ghz.html
And the slower 6-core, also 65 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-50-ghz.html
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

wow, that is a BIG diff. The 8 core is ale a faster Chip

either one of course will smoke my i7 quad core 3.4 from 2014 lol

but i am in one room, alot of acoustic guitar and quiet stuff so fans would be a def no no, mine now is always dead quiet
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
The 10-core has a TDP of 165 Watt, the 8-core of 125 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-3-70-ghz.html
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-10-ghz.html

Given same housing the 8-core is a safer bet for being quiet.

I was surprised when I looked these up just now. 165W is a lot.

ETA: here is the 6-core, 65 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-80-ghz.html
And the slower 6-core, also 65 W:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-4-50-ghz.html
I don’t think Apple’s implementation uses that much power. Also the chips are clocked slightly lower than what is posted on the Intel site.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1200 View Post
I don’t think Apple’s implementation uses that much power. Also the chips are clocked slightly lower than what is posted on the Intel site.
Totally agree. I think Apple plays with the TDP quite a bit, even on those chips that are not labeled as "configurable TDP down" by Intel. I wouldn't take it for granted that they run the 8-core at 125 W either, even if the base clockspeeds match Intel's docs.

The 165W original TDP on the 10-core are quite the shocker, though. I mean we have chips with multiple times the core count within that envelope.
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Totally agree. I think Apple plays with the TDP quite a bit, even on those chips that are not labeled as "configurable TDP down" by Intel. I wouldn't take it for granted that they run the 8-core at 125 W either, even if the base clockspeeds match Intel's docs.

The 165W original TDP on the 10-core are quite the shocker, though. I mean we have chips with multiple times the core count within that envelope.
There was a benchmark video (MaxTech maybe) that showed (the i7 I think) peaking at 125 - 130 (correction it went above 150).

Anyhow, I was seriously considering a switch to the i7 iMac. Performance wise it seems great, but I can't help feel like these are laden with compromises, and the soldered components make me nervous. T2 chip again. Coming from a Windows environment I'm used to building and servicing/upgrading as needed. I think I will sit this out for a few more years and see what ARM brings.

Last edited by sp1200; 15th August 2020 at 06:14 AM..
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

https://youtu.be/ivp0JroF9pM

Yes, it’s max video. Looks like the 10700k is able to keep 4.5ghz sustained.. Impressive!
Old 15th August 2020
Gear Nut

I recently bought an iMac 2019 i9, rather than a 2015 or 2017 in the hopes that it will last a few more years. Seeing a few posts here talking about buying an iMac every 2 years has me wondering if my expectations of this lasting me 5-7 years is realistic?
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

i have had my 2014 imac for 6 years now and it runs great, and has the entire time
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereality View Post
I recently bought an iMac 2019 i9, rather than a 2015 or 2017 in the hopes that it will last a few more years. Seeing a few posts here talking about buying an iMac every 2 years has me wondering if my expectations of this lasting me 5-7 years is realistic?
I'm still on a 2012 MBP and Apple will release the first OS not backported some time from now.

And in the imac you can put more RAM. My most frequent reason for computer retirement is lack of (expandable) RAM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Couldn’t control the itch in my Apple Pay finger anymore and got the top-tier + 1 TB SSD and 10 Gbit network. Stayed at the i7 option - I wouldn’t risk the i9 becoming too hot to handle for the fan and I think (hope!) it would cover my needs of max 30 tracks with not too heavy plugins.

As a bit less obvious choice I also went for the 16Gb graphics. It should then serve nicely as a windows gaming PC a few years from now if Apple drops too much of the support too early (fingers crossed). I’m hoping that will keep its resale value high for a while.

Now what’s left is to wait... 2-3 weeks!

Edit: And no. It wasn’t an easy choice at all! Far to many variables and unknowns. Lots of software that might not translate well to Apple Si. Perhaps a future need for windows. Unknown price and configuration possibilities of the new Apple Si. Too early drop of support of intel Macs from Apples side. What about the whole iCloud that I also enjoy and depend on. Damn you Apple for disturbing the peace of my mind.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m still running a couple of the late 2014 i7s in our architecture office. Great machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i have had my 2014 imac for 6 years now and it runs great, and has the entire time
Old 4 weeks ago
osk
Gear Nut
Will it be possible to downgrade this new iMac from Catalina to Mojave even with the T2 chip?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My own thoughts are the new iMac 2020 - even at a base configuration is nearly enough for me.

I would be quite concerned about fan noise with the (10) core and the high end graphics card. The (8) core model should be powerful enough. However, 500g storage is a joke. 1TB is the minimum. Would also like to upgrade the graphics card to the mid tier - select the 5700 option, don't need the (16) GB option - again, may run very hot and spin up those fans. After-market RAM to 64 or 128. Don't need nano glass.

Cdlt
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well I have say after using the the iMac 2019 8 core i9 for a couple of weeks then returning them for the 2020 10 Core i9 I have to say the results are negligible as far as running Pro Tools. I was expecting some kind of difference but really I cannot tell.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Now that Apple has included the T2 Security Chip in the new 27" iMac... are T2 related audio issues with USB interfaces still a thing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

What's the consensus on the 8-core i7 vs 10-core i9. I'm using Ableton so it's weighing the higher clock speed vs 2 additional cores.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinho View Post
What's the consensus on the 8-core i7 vs 10-core i9. I'm using Ableton so it's weighing the higher clock speed vs 2 additional cores.
Wondering the same thing.

On these benchmark tests the 10-core seems more powerful. Are these applicable on audio tasks? They are just maxing out the CPU for a short amount of time. But how do these results translate to everyday audio work when all cores are on constant load over hours?

In one test on Youtube the 10-core can run 6 tracks more in Logic, in another the i7 could play 20 tracks more than the i9, how is that even possible?

I'm just looking for the best performance in Pro Tools (track and plugin count).

Here the tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAXmKR9wpTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_TB5e7NfrY
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Go for the 8 core. The i7 10700KF has a sustained clock speed of 4.5GHZ after multiple runs of Cinebench, which is impressive giving the less than stellar cooling of the iMac.

The 109100 (10 core) is about 15% better in synthetic multicore benchmarks, but at the expenses of a lower sustained clock speed of 3.8-3.9GHZ.

Also keep in mind that the power consumption of the 109100 is significantly higher (165W vs 130) so thermals and noise might be a concern.

Overall the 10700KF is a better choice for DAW use with better single core performance, good thermals and lower price point.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Go for the 8 core. The i7 10700KF has a sustained clock speed of 4.5GHZ after multiple runs of Cinebench, which is impressive giving the less than stellar cooling of the iMac.

The 109100 (10 core) is about 15% better in synthetic multicore benchmarks, but at the expenses of a lower sustained clock speed of 3.8-3.9GHZ.

Also keep in mind that the power consumption of the 109100 is significantly higher (165W vs 130) so thermals and noise might be a concern.

Overall the 10700KF is a better choice for DAW use with better single core performance, good thermals and lower price point.
Would have to agree with this, based on a MaxTech video, it shows the 8 core outperforming the 10 core at sustained tasks.

For DAW purposes faster cores can, in some cases outperform more cores of a slightly lower clock speed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I guess it depends how much serial processing you do. Most producers and engineers do quite a lot, which is why I broadly agree with you. However if you work with many tracks which aren't bussed into one another, more cores would then become more relevant. It's a fine balanced cost-benefit analysis.

The Xeon processors which are optimised for parallel multi thread performance do well in logic benchmarks because they have no serial processing - that's my take.

I've ordered an 8 core based on the throttling of the i9, unsure how this would apply to audio but hoping the 2020 i7 will do me well.

Last edited by jobinho; 2 weeks ago at 11:20 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Is this true?
I struggle to understand what all of these benchmarks actually mean in real-life daw work; but I saw a benchmark stating that single core was 1300 and something on the 10 core model while 1200 and something on the 8 cores...
I need more clock speed. I do a lot of serial stuff, and I see in Logics performance meter, spikes in one thread alone, and that’s my main problem.
Specially when I’m producing with a few plugins on the Master Bus, or using things like Superior drummer 3, spread across a few tracks and going into a Drum bus with processing, etc...

I come from a trash can Mac Pro.
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I also wonder about the noise
Will it be noisier that my Trash-can ... ? 🤔
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
📝 Reply