Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Everything is working perfect here with UAD and native on logic x
Old 10th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymedawg ➡️
This might be the "Swiss Army Knife" fixall for a host of Big Sur issues. I have posted several times on this thread about the fact that I have been having problems using an Apogee Element 88 and Logic Pro X on a 2018 Mac Mini.

Everything worked fine in Catalina, but the moment I upgraded to Big Sur, I began to experience popping, clicking, ticking—or whatever you want to call these anomalous noises.

I reached out to Apogee tech support and while they were very responsive‚ their prescriptions to solve the problem were unsuccessful. The tech there seemed to think the problem was ultimately one of buffering but that never made any sense to me because the noise never happened in Catalina—even at a 32 buffer setting. Moreover the problem was extant in Big Sur at 32 or 64 buffer setting EVEN WHEN I FROZE ALL TRACKS!
Apogee says that the Element series is not yet qualified for Big Sur and that while it may work somewhat, there are issues.

I take them at their word and am not going to Big Sur yet.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Jay: Can you point me to a link where Apogee says this "Apogee says that the Element series is not yet qualified for Big Sur". What I found on their site was: https://apogeedigital.com/home-featu...ty-information where they say that Element Series is compatible (except for a few footnoted exceptions).
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey Jay: Can you point me to a link where Apogee says this "Apogee says that the Element series is not yet qualified for Big Sur". What I found on their site was: https://apogeedigital.com/home-featu...ty-information where they say that Element Series is compatible (except for a few footnoted exceptions).
It lists three issues, and the one about Direct Monitoring in Logical is especially concerning for me, and the dealbreaker.

I talked with one of their excellent tech support people and he said,”if you are a professional, wait.”
Old 12th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Question MOTU MIDI devices

I see MOTU still aren’t putting out anything for their MIDI devices and Bir Sur: has anyone experimented with Big Sur and a MOTU MIDI device?
Old 15th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Legacy midi issues

Hi, I have problems with an old M-audio Radium49 usb midi keyboard and my M1 mini. According to M-audio this model is legacy and the last supported OS was in 2013 I think. But does that mean I have to buy a new keyboard? Or should it work properly still?

M-audio doesn't allow for product registration so I can't get in touch with them by e-mail.
Old 16th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Apogee Element 24 + Big Sur

So I needed a new workstation and decided to buy a late 2020 Mac mini with this M1 chip thinkamajig..... Since I still have my MacBook Pro 2018 (which is my main audio production computer and currently running High Sierra) I figured why not just shell out on this new toy and increase my storage. Naturally, I've been waiting for apple and software developers to fix compatibility issues so I can use my Apogee Element 24. It's completely unrecognized by this Mac mini and apparently compatibility is arriving "soon". Guess I'll patiently wait ...

https://apogeedigital.com/home-featu...ty-information
Old 18th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
I see MOTU still aren’t putting out anything for their MIDI devices and Bir Sur: has anyone experimented with Big Sur and a MOTU MIDI device?
I tried installing the latest drivers and anything i could think of. Pretty frustrating really. Hard to accept the only thing that's not compatible is plain MIDI driver. I'm so not going to purchase anything by MOTU ever again. Their tech support says they don't know anything except what's written months ago on their site re Big Sur. I just bought new MOTU MIDI interface few months ago, totally sucks.
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
General compatibility with M1 and Intel Mac/PCs.

Hello all - might be a simple / obvious answer to this, but with the keywords involved any searching I've done just returns too wide a field of results.

For those who are on an actual M1 chip with Big Sur; what does general file compatibility look like? I use a PC and a Mac for audio and have no problems (other than the occasional VST / Plugin mismatch) opening projects for Live or S1 created on my PC on my Mac or the other way around.

Is this still possible with the new ARM macs? On one hand I would think so - for example a PDF is a PDF is a PDF. I'm sure a new mac can open PDFs lo. But I'm also imagining an Ableton Project file and all the associated resources and folders and whatnot might complicate the issue. I'm really hoping that 5, 10 years from now I can maintain this type of file cross-compatibility using tools like Dropbox, Sync, etc.
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I wish East West would hurry up and make their software Big Sur compatible.
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKeys ➡️
I wish East West would hurry up and make their software Big Sur compatible.
What specifically? I'm using Play on Big Sur on my M1 MBP. No specific issues I've encountered. I'm even using the SugarBytes synths packaged with their subscription bundle.
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
What specifically? I'm using Play on Big Sur on my M1 MBP. No specific issues I've encountered. I'm even using the SugarBytes synths packaged with their subscription bundle.
Ah - thank you - that's good to hear. I was waiting for Official Support. I have EW Hollywood Orchestra and Solo Instruments plus Play of course, also symphonic choirs.

That only leaves Izotope Ozone 8. Is anyone running this successfully on Big Sur?
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

So, I've never owned a mac before, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Is there any way I could buy a new Mac mini in the box today that doesn't come with Big Sur? I don't want to shell out for a new studio computer only to be stuck with an OS that companies like izotope are telling customers to avoid for the time being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe ➡️
This point of yours is correct: Intel Macs aren't going to "stop working." They'll work as long as you need them to. Anyone who's grumbling about their machines being made obsolete need not grumble.
You sure about that? Samsung was found guilty of sabotaging old phone models with "security updates" to force people to buy new models. I've heard anecdotes about similar things from Apple users. I wouldn't put it past them!
Old 28th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurMa ➡️
So, I've never owned a mac before, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Is there any way I could buy a new Mac mini in the box today that doesn't come with Big Sur? I don't want to shell out for a new studio computer only to be stuck with an OS that companies like izotope are telling customers to avoid for the time being
The M1 machines will not run anything other than Big Sur, but I'm sure if you found an intel machine that's been on the shelf for a few months it'll have Catalina. Or you could buy one slightly used. I sold my 2018 i7 Mini last month with Mojave still installed so the buyer would have an option to wait. Refurbished Macs are a great deal. See if Apple will ship a refurbished with Catalina. Worst case scenario if you're using an intel mini you can wipe and load Catalina.

Quote:
You sure about that? Samsung was found guilty of sabotaging old phone models with "security updates" to force people to buy new models. I've heard anecdotes about similar things from Apple users. I wouldn't put it past them!
It's true, never say never, but Apple did slow down phones to conserve battery life on an aging battery and a new battery would stop that from happening. However, they didn't tell anyone that and they make their batteries impossible for the average consumer to replace. I don't know how they could pull something like that off on an iMac for instance.
Old 28th January 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yeah Apple admitted to that and settle a class action lawsuit. Of course these companies are doing this
Anyways just installed BigSur, did a clean install so currently downloading what I need. Keep you posted
Old 29th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
I sold my 2018 i7 Mini last month with Mojave still installed so the buyer would have an option to wait.
Did you experience any issues with the T2 chip borking up USB interface performance? I know that was a thing for a while.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you experience any issues with the T2 chip borking up USB interface performance? I know that was a thing for a while.
No, I wasn't aware that was an issue. I've used a few Steinberg USB interfaces with it as well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm loving it so far, haven't experienced any issues yet.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That issue is almost 2 years old now and long gone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wish Izotope would update Iris 2 for Big Sur
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
I wish Izotope would update Iris 2 for Big Sur
Yeah, they're the last bit of software I could really use that isn't compatible yet. I hope their user base is entrenched enough in Mac for them to justify spending the time and money on updating because this has been a few months already.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just realized Soothe 2 is not updated yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm enjoying the 11.2 update with Little Snitch back in charge of all traffic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
I'm enjoying the 11.2 update with Little Snitch back in charge of all traffic.
Did your Mac reboot like 50000 times during the 11.2 update?
I thought I was gonna have to pull the plug on my mini. Update took like 30+ minutes here. I left to go eat after about a half hour of it constantly rebooting, running for five seconds, rebooting, etc so not sure how much longer that went on before it finished heh. Running good though (with LS as well)!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Update: To be fair to Apogee: My beefs with them were unfounded. The problem ultimately turned out to be NOT an Apogee issue.

After several weeks working with Apogee Tech support and running every diagnostic they requested and modifying my computer preferences in every way they suggested, this problem persisted. In utter frustration I began researching DAW "noise" issues and found an Apple tech support bulletin that suggested zapping PRAM to solve Big Sur problems. The ticking noises in my sessions went away at buffer settings in Logic of 128 (or higher) and I can live with that.

So to reiterate. my noise issues were not an Apogee issue.

However, there are still some pretty profound compatibility issues with the Apogee Element "universe" and Big Sur. After fixing my noise issue, I started recording again only to find out that my Element Control unit was as dead as a doornail in Big Sur (but not in Catalina). Apogee tech had no solution for that. Thankfully the wonderful guys at Sweetwater took the unit back (and even though I had had it more that 30 days).

On to the next issue. So I figured I'd control the Element with the app on my iPad and/or iPhone. Nope. No go if my computer OS was Big Sur. Again, all good in Catalina. Just got note back from Apogee Support that they have referred this issue to their engineers. I "'preciate" that, but maybe a better time for that was a long time ago and maybe some heads up to us all would have been in order.

Quote:
I sincerely hope Apogee folks reading this. Consider this an open letter to you Apogee.

During this screwed up Covid year where we are all basically in quarantine, I decided to use all the extra time to update and refresh my whole recording setup. The first big change was to migrate from Pro Tools to Logic. I was kinda pushed into this because Avid obsoleted PT 11 when Mac iOS changed last year end. My options were to go to PT 12 for $600 with a one year renewal plan or buy a subscription for $25 per month (for life!).

On the other hand, I could switch to Logic for a flat $200 for life. Kinda of a no brainer. Another reason I decided to make this momentous change (‘cuz as we all know, learning a new DAW is a pain in the ass and time consuming) is the fact that for 15 years of using PTs, they forever lagged Mac iOS changes. I figured that since Logic was an Apple-owned product, they would make sure to keep it up to date with new iOS introductions (and wonderfully, that has proven to be the case).

Then I turned my attention to my gear. I was intent on three things: better sound, simpler (less wires, less equipment), and tight integration with the DAW.

The clear cut winner was Apogee.

With their DSP, I could do compression “in the box” and get rid of my compressors and all the attendant cabling. Moreover, you can run their stuff from within Logic.

Originally, I bought the Apogee Symphony Desktop (”ASD”) which would even have allowed me to print compression from within Logic using the “PrintFX” feature, but I ended up returning the ASD as I got tired of waiting for the software to come out to actually do PrintFX.

So, I ended up with the Element 88. The Element Control software is so simple, I could live with that.

Another reason I chose Apogee was based upon my impression that their management worked closely with the Apple Logic team and would also be timely in releasing drivers to keep their gear up to date with Mac iOS changes. Man has that turned out to be a bust. But, at least I could expect them to be forthright as Avid has always been and be manifestly clear about incompatibility.

Nope. Not so. Their language:

“Element Series

macOS Big Sur: Compatible*”

Their footnote:

“Element Series

Logic 10.5.1 channel strip not fully functional can’t select Inst, -10 and high shelf is grayed out
Clock source is not properly indicated in Apogee Control
Intermittent detection issues”

“Compatible” to me means compatible. But to them, the caveat of “intermittent detection issues” apparently means the following:

* Clicking and ticking sounds on tracks are audible and get recorded.
* While monitoring, sometimes one hears something like an airplane taking off smothering the tracks.
* Sometimes the audio just stops being audible all together.

Or at least that’s what I got on both my Element 88 and Element 24 ( I tested both to make sure it was not a unit issue. And yes, the Apogee driver updater indicated that the firmware on both units was up to date).

After the arduous process of creating a boot system for my 2018 Mac mini with Mac iOS Catalina, thus migrating backwards from Big Sur, all of these “intermittent detection issues” disappeared.

So, my message to Apogee: You make (to quote Steve Jobs) insanely great products. Why do you find the need to lie about them?

If the Apogee Symphony Desktop rollout is going to be all but indefinitely delayed in 2020, tell us and tell us why.

And don’t then ship the hardware without shipping the software.

And for god sakes, don’t tell us stuff is compatible with a new Mac OS when it is not remotely so. Rather, a responsible company (like Avid) would warn us specifically: DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW MAC OS!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I installed big sir on my 2018 laptop with logic 10.6.1. All 100% working fine.
I connected it to my lynx aurora and all working fine

So then I upgraded my 2020 Mac Pro to Big Sur and logic 10.6.1 and everything is working great except it can’t see the Aurora at all.

Has anyone else experienced this ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
from what i have been reading Catalina is super buggy? Has that issue been fixed in the new 10.15.7 ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Actually lynx helped me on the phone & it’s all fixed. The new firmware sorted it out.

And yes Big Sur is more snappy

And all plugins from fabfilter , Acustica , izotipe , all seem to working fine
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
Did your Mac reboot like 50000 times during the 11.2 update?
I thought I was gonna have to pull the plug on my mini. Update took like 30+ minutes here. I left to go eat after about a half hour of it constantly rebooting, running for five seconds, rebooting, etc so not sure how much longer that went on before it finished heh. Running good though (with LS as well)!
It only restarted once here, but it did take 20 minutes to reload.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Mine also did some weird rebooting on restart too. I ended up just pressing off and then on again
📝 Reply