The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
macOS Big Sur (version 11): Share your experiences
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN View Post
did you get this new MBP because you wanted to upgrade but didn't want to be forced into getting a M1 laptop?
Yes, and apart from the easier change from the existing MBP I ordered 64 GB RAM. I might be able to live with 32, but certainly not 16 GB.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
I was told that Logic will indeed run ARM Silicon plugins with ones requiring Rosetta 2 in the same project, side by side.
On my Fractal site, I'm reading that a plugin developer has been told either Plugs have to be Arm or Rossetta 2 not both running at the same time.

https://developer.apple.com/document...on_environment

Quote from a Plug maker
Running under Rosetta will work in some cases, but sorry, no, you can’t mix x86 and arm in a single process, if that’s what you mean by “work”. Compartmentalizing with VEPro should work for VIs, but I have no idea when VEPro will be ported to arm. You can force a ub daw to run under Rosetta though.

Also note Rosetta won’t work with everything. It doesn’t handle my plugins.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Yes, and apart from the easier change from the existing MBP I ordered 64 GB RAM. I might be able to live with 32, but certainly not 16 GB.
wait do you think they're going to cut down on RAM with that unified memory stuff? that 13 inch M1 has 16 GB max but I guess for 16 inch they won't cut down on it. or will they?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
On my Fractal site, I'm reading that a plugin developer has been told either Plugs have to be Arm or Rossetta 2 not both running at the same time.

https://developer.apple.com/document...on_environment

Quote from a Plug maker
Running under Rosetta will work in some cases, but sorry, no, you can’t mix x86 and arm in a single process, if that’s what you mean by “work”. Compartmentalizing with VEPro should work for VIs, but I have no idea when VEPro will be ported to arm. You can force a ub daw to run under Rosetta though.

Also note Rosetta won’t work with everything. It doesn’t handle my plugins.
That doesn't make any sense, and would render Logic useless. there will be a mix of plugs that do and don't run native for probably years. How would you possibly use Logic with such a limitation of only one or the other type of plug per session.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN View Post
wait do you think they're going to cut down on RAM with that unified memory stuff? that 13 inch M1 has 16 GB max but I guess for 16 inch they won't cut down on it. or will they?
Right, but I have to estimate that the 16" ARM is quite a while away. They possibly have to do more chip development to fit more RAM.

I forgot to mention that I want to run x86 and x86_64 software in virtual machines. Obviously near-native code execution in 64 GB RAM will be better here.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
That doesn't make any sense, and would render Logic useless. there will be a mix of plugs that do and don't run native for probably years. How would you possibly use Logic with such a limitation of only one or the other type of plug per session.
I agree, this makes it sound very messy, unlike what Apple has been saying.
It could very well be this one developers plugins haven’t allowed it.
It’s early days, maybe it’s something that has to be enabled to allow both.
I’m not sure, but it then it alludes to running Logic Pro (or other universal Daw) in Rosetta 2 on an arm machine until the plugs are are updated to run Arm.
That likely will be a long time for all my 65ish plugs and instruments.
Or we're misinformed, should have more intel (ha) on arm this week.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If Apple truly translates all the code at installation time mixing would be possible. You would just have loadable object files in the same architecture. The DAW wouldn't even be able to tell which ones were originally ARM and which ones are translated.

However, it is unlikely that Apple (can) do it that straightforwardly.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep. I just went to Catalina a few weeks ago lol

Can't imagine anyone doing pro audio to be anxious to move up yet...
Old 17th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Yep. I just went to Catalina a few weeks ago lol

Can't imagine anyone doing pro audio to be anxious to move up yet...
I'm trying to decide wether to go to Catalina now or wait several months and just go straight to Big Sur. How has Catalina been for you?

The only rush is I'd like to be able to update Logic but I doubt I'm really missing that much.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
I'm trying to decide wether to go to Catalina now or wait several months and just go straight to Big Sur. How has Catalina been for you?

The only rush is I'd like to be able to update Logic but I doubt I'm really missing that much.
Catalina has been very stable. I had one problem, turned out to be a WAVES plug in AR Mastering, and it just needed to be updated, then all was well again.

You might as well wait, although no telling when all the majors will say they are compatible....
Old 17th November 2020
Lives for gear

I jumped in last night Big Sur here we come. Took a couple hours. Loaded a logic project -No rescan as others have said all the plug-ins played that I had loaded very happy - to me a little bit snappier Faster -All in all very happy…
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojidad View Post
I think some of you are missing the main point that I and Metasfera are making: whether the company involved have declared that they have updated for Big Sur or not- they all seem to run. I've just gone through all my Arturia synths (and the painful to look at Waldorf Largo) through Fabfilter's Pro-R and Timeless 2. Lovely as ever. It works. I don't know why. But they do.
I have no luxury to try all my software just to catch luck because my setup is too complex. I am waiting a message on manufacturer site that “it is tested and compatable”. Since Logic, Reason & Spectrasonics i dont see others reported positive. Continue to check daily)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 2 cents,

18 Mac mini, came with Mojave = great

Catalina update? Terrible.

Big Sur???

Install was a nightmare, had to erase everything on my computer and start fresh again

From Mojave...

I’ll be here for a while. Fast, stable. That’s all I want.
Old 17th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Warning to all Big Sur users..... seems Apple is becoming Big Brother and cares little about your privacy. This is another great reason to keep your DAW offline at all times.

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-c...yours/#updates

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile Acustica Audio

So looking forward to hear if Acustica plugins will work much smoother on the M1 Macs & Big Sur. Like the ultimate "benchmark test" for me.
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

So I have posted this on another thread but it also is relevant to Big Sur. The same audio glitch on Catalina happens on Big Sur . What I noticed is this doesn’t seem to happen on non t2 chip devices though. Nor does this happen on PCs . Whatever issue is going on with t2 and os/software , it’s not resolved. Clicking/stuttering audio. I haven’t bought logic yet because of this but check it for yourselves. This glitch happened at Best Buy and Apple. Tried it on iMacs, MacBook Pro 16 inch and MacBook airs . Happened on Catalina and big sur.
Did not happen on my iPhone or pc desktop or pc laptop.

This also doesn’t happen just on laptop speakers. It happens on audio interfaces, external DACs, monitors , headphones, etc .

It’s not the videos. It’s Apple. Those are just two examples , but it happens a lot .
First song is by middle class rut, new low

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-lx9C_cn8cU

At 40 seconds, at 1:59 , at 2:10, 2:19
Now there are a few moments in the song when the glitches happen, there are many more throughout the song however. But those are a few examples of what happens a lot for me

Another song is by the starting line called island

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6dJ5z2wJE
At 20 seconds, 29 seconds , 39 seconds , also happens many more times during the song

I spoke to Apple about this and gave em the songs and seconds . Their software team is checking on it but they aren’t gonna get back to me. But they know now ....
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpu View Post
I spoke to Apple about this and gave em the songs and seconds . Their software team is checking on it but they aren’t gonna get back to me. But they know now ....
I held off for a few installing Big Sur. So far I'm loving it. Of course, I haven't tried installing plugins and having to jump through the usual hoops. But I'm really enjoying it so far, feels great.

I haven't tried YouTube yet for the audio. Ridiculous that we need to worry about a $$$ MBP and stuttering audio. Earlier today prior to updating I was watching various YT tutorials and had no popping. Hoping Big Sur has solved it here.

Was on the fence with buying another Apple after this T2 bulls*t but I'm reading that the new silicon Macs will allow installing of custom kernels into the secure boot policy (unlike current Intels); so, I would be able to load Linux into a small partition and have a "hobbyist" laptop again.

I'm stoked for Big Sur. Stoked for the new M1. Just a shame that these T2 have been mostly great machines with terribly flakey behavior
Old 18th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Yeah the clicking and stuttering isn’t on every video, seems only to happen on certain videos that are songs for some reason. Those specific videos and others have that issue. But it’s not as issue with the video itself being of bad upload quality. You might wanna check those videos out and see, it tried it on a MacBook 16 inch with Big Sur and it had the problem too. Fortunately it’s not on every video on YouTube but for some reason Apple products are creating this problem for certain audio situations. Just makes me wonder if I’m gonna be hearing cracks and pops while working on a project and not know if it’s just a playback issue or recording problem.
Thankfully I was reminded this is fixed in logic with an interface . However with the youtube issue, this happens either my interface and other external DACs , so it’s not just an internal dac issue with the mbp.
I’m gonna see if I can demo an iMac with no t2. The Apple represents I was on the phone with couldn’t replicate true issue on a non t2 chip device. I hope they can fix this . Aslong as logic works well with a dac I’ll be fine. It just made me worried tbh
Old 18th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
U-He Zebra 2 is now compatible with Big Sur!)
So, i have 2 plugins to play around - Omnisphere 2 and Zebra 2, heh)
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I do find it weird that plugins by a company like NI isn't working on Big Sur yet. Every new Mac sold with M1 will not be able to run NI plugins. Didn't NI had the change to buy developer kit mini's and Big Sur making sure this would work the first day new M1 Macs came out? I hope NI comes with a deadline asap otherwise I'll sell what I have.
Old 19th November 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It’s installing that isn’t working. We need someone to try migrating their intel system to their new arm system. More plugs and instruments maybe workable then.
Gear Maniac

It’s not weird , every time there is a big update companies like native instruments say to wait for a while before updating the os.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
I do find it weird that plugins by a company like NI isn't working on Big Sur yet. Every new Mac sold with M1 will not be able to run NI plugins. Didn't NI had the change to buy developer kit mini's and Big Sur making sure this would work the first day new M1 Macs came out? I hope NI comes with a deadline asap otherwise I'll sell what I have.
Just because someone is able to buy the dev kit doesn't mean its just as easy to port their plugins. NI heavily relies on Intel specific code (remember everyone whining when Massive X didn't support their 10 year old CPU that didn't have AVX?). This isn't making them Big Sur compatible, which most of them actually already are, it's porting them to an entirely new architecture. Not everyone sticks to Apple's generic playbook and can just 'flip the switch' and get things running on an ARM processor. A little bit of a tip from a couple decades of past experience, NI is never one of the first companies to jump on a new ship either.

Sorry but if a recording studio or professional artist just ran out and bought these expecting to switch everything over before the end of the year (or next year) man, they probably won't be in this business too long making stupid decisions like that.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
Valhalla reverbs cause Logic to crash to the desktop immediately upon trying to instantiate the plugin.

I did this same test back in the early days of Catalina, and seems like WAY more issues so far in Big Sur. Many of these companies are behind with support. Perhaps COVID has made a big impact on how quickly they can get things done this year.
You might want to check in with the developers, to see where they are at with support for Big Sur. For example:

https://valhalladsp.com/2020/10/13/v...g-sur-64-bits/

We released these updates a month before Big Sur was officially released. We've announced it on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter a bunch of times), have it pasted all over our website, and are sending an email to everyone on our email list this coming Monday about this update for Big Sur.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I installed Big Sur last Sunday on a 2020 i7 Air, no problems with the install at all. I use Logic and only a handful of plugins; 2CAudio, FabFilter, iZotope. So far so good, everything works as expected.

The same with Final Cut and Affinity Photos/Designer.

I like the lighter UI and the new notifications center and widgets, I hate that all the icons on the dock look the same now!
Old 19th November 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm not having the problems that MattyJoe reports. I checked all my Arturia plugins, and there are a lot in V-Collection 7, and they all open up and display fine. As well as respond to my Keylab 88 Mk11's knob twiddling and keys. Ditto to all of my Softube stuff. I'm running Big Sur, Logic 10.6 on a 2019 iMac with 40Gb RAM.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are a lot of issues though. Lots of plugin/instrument developer updates still required.

Some examples:
Updated Omnisphere and Trillian, and Spectrasonics' release notes list Big Sur compatibility. However, using both plugins causes major UI lag in Logic, and within the plugin. The minute I remove the instance, the UI goes back to normal. Other virtual instruments do not cause this.
Arturia's instruments do not display at all. Plugin windows are black squares.
Native Instruments stuff seems to be functioning pretty well in Logic, but Native Access is being very screwy. Battery will not recognize its own Library file when I re-link it, it still thinks it's not installed. All kinds of weird issues when re-linking plugins and Libraries.
Valhalla reverbs cause Logic to crash to the desktop immediately upon trying to instantiate the plugin.
Softube plugins also do not display at all; black plugin windows.
Waves plugins also do not display at all.
Hm, Arturia and Valhalla works fine in my BigSur installation on my Air

EDIT: Besides Arturia and Valhalla, Teote/Voxengo, All TokioDawn, Aberrant DSP, Crave EQ, Klanghelm, AudioThing, WavesFactory, Massive X, Replika XT works for me. These are the only plugins I have installed on my Air/BigSur testsetup and they all work. Have not run a long test, but all load up and are working.

Last edited by bluefonia; 19th November 2020 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Adding stof to post
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Just because someone is able to buy the dev kit doesn't mean its just as easy to port their plugins. NI heavily relies on Intel specific code (remember everyone whining when Massive X didn't support their 10 year old CPU that didn't have AVX?). This isn't making them Big Sur compatible, which most of them actually already are, it's porting them to an entirely new architecture. Not everyone sticks to Apple's generic playbook and can just 'flip the switch' and get things running on an ARM processor. A little bit of a tip from a couple decades of past experience, NI is never one of the first companies to jump on a new ship either.

Sorry but if a recording studio or professional artist just ran out and bought these expecting to switch everything over before the end of the year (or next year) man, they probably won't be in this business too long making stupid decisions like that.
Well here's my problem at the moment.

- I sold my MBP as it was just too old (2011) so I need a new Mac in a hurry.
- Beside Logic Pro I only use NI Komplete.
- All new Macs come with Big Sur preinstalled and can't be downgraded.

I'm now thinking about dumping NI. This gives Apple total control which I don't like but it seems there isn't much choice anyway since they're going fully ARMed and I'm too stubborn to let go of Logic Pro.

The good part is that compatibility issues should be a thing of the past moving forward!

I'm really curious what time it will take for NI to make all plugins work, or that it would even be possible?

Will it be worth the wait or should I just go sell my controller and safe 50% on buying the Mini with the pro and cons I mentioned? If it's gonna take months and they release the MK3 by that time I'm gonna hate myself.
Here for the gear

My old laptop died and I just ordered a new Apple M1.

How are experiences with audio interface compatibility? I have a feeling I will be dead in the water with my MOTU 16A until they release an update, who knows when that will be...
📝 Reply