The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
macOS Big Sur (version 11): Share your experiences
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always stay one version behind, so i guess now is a good time for me to move from Mojave to Catalina.
See you Big Sur next year...
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
I always stay one version behind, so i guess now is a good time for me to move from Mojave to Catalina.
that sounds like a smart strategy as well. just make sure all your necessary plugins work on Catalina before you upgrade. not all devs managed to catch up with it unfortunately. e.g. I still can't install and use AIR Creative Collection FX PLUS on my Catalina laptop. which pisses me off because AIR Phaser is the absolute best phaser plugin to this day. illformed Glitch 2 does work but still not "officially" supported as well. so be cautious.
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sinevibes is macOS 11 Big Sur Compatible

I am on the Sinevibes mailing list and received an email stating:

“We are happy to let you know that all of our plugins have been tested and are compatible with the recently released macOS 11 Big Sur.

We would also like to let you know that soon we will be building updated versions of our plugins with native support for M1 and other Apple Silicon processors. All of the plugins in the legacy and the new collections will have two types of installers each, built for both older (10.6-10.14) and newer (10.9+) versions of macOS.”

https://www.sinevibes.com/mac/
Gear Addict
So it wasn't just Mavericks
Old 13th November 2020
Here for the gear

Using Big Sur & Logic 10.6 on an iMac Pro with an Apogee Element

Direct monitoring with the Element seems to be broken. I'm getting the message that the maximum number of outputs for direct monitoring is already in use.

Gullfoss isn't showing a GUI, so that seems to be broken as well.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Installed Big Sur last night on an 2018 Mac mini. No problems installing at all. But, not sure I like how it looks yet. I really have to do something with that background though. Haven't tried any of my music programs with it yet. Did get the traditional non-compatible emails from UA, Waves, etc saying their software may not work or doesn't with Big Sur. Sure it will at some point. And, I have Catalina on the external HD just in case. Will test some stuff out later today and see what happens. Not too worried if it doesn't work as I can do stuff on the MPC Live 2.

Well, Waves J37, Abbey Road Chambers, Kramer Master Tape, IK Multimedia T-Racks 24 & TR-5 (Sunset Sound) all seem to work as plug-ins for the MPC software with Live II in controller mode. No problems so far. But, I did an upgrade and not a fresh install. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I need to try UA and Luna a bit later along with Ableton.

Ableton is working.

Last edited by reason108; 14th November 2020 at 03:24 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mam8dg ➡️
Using Big Sur & Logic 10.6 on an iMac Pro with an Apogee Element

Direct monitoring with the Element seems to be broken. I'm getting the message that the maximum number of outputs for direct monitoring is already in use.

Gullfoss isn't showing a GUI, so that seems to be broken as well.
Direct monitoring has been funky/partly busted for awhile now. At one point I was losing direct monitoring buttons/icons in Logic and I've yet to upgrade from Catalina.

And thanks for the heads up regarding Gullfoss. That's a staple in my workflow.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger ➡️
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up. I saw that Omnisphere was updated for Big Sur and almost pulled the trigger.

I used to be an OS X fiend and bugs be damned, I couldn't wait to install. I was one of the idiots that drooled over Siragusa's novel length OS X reviews over at Ars Technica back in the day. I think it was OS X Tiger I waited in line during a midnight launch event.

Catalina was a harsh mistress. Never again.
I remember earlier OS X versions with some pretty bad initial releases. Wasn't El Capitan one of them?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe ➡️
I remember earlier OS X versions with some pretty bad initial releases. Wasn't El Capitan one of them?
Yeah, I think we wrongly paint old OS X releases with a nostalgia brush but it does seem like everything up to Snow Leopard were pretty solid. My dissatisfaction really started with Lion and went quickly downhill from there.

This is my first post on GS using Linux btw, on my old mid-2014 MBP. Amazingly lighter on ram than Catalina.

Of course, getting my Apogee Element to work would be a herculean task, lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe ➡️
Absolutely. Like the post above, people really tend to paint them with a nostalgia brush, but as far as Internet forums existed, I don’t remember a single OSX release that wasn’t immediately followed by a boatload of complaints about how broken it is compared to the previous release. Not even the mythical Snow Leopard.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger ➡️
Yeah, I think we wrongly paint old OS X releases with a nostalgia brush but it does seem like everything up to Snow Leopard were pretty solid. My dissatisfaction really started with Lion and went quickly downhill from there.

This is my first post on GS using Linux btw, on my old mid-2014 MBP. Amazingly lighter on ram than Catalina.

Of course, getting my Apogee Element to work would be a herculean task, lol.
Ahhh the days of OS X up to Snow Leopard were amazing. The only one that really got me was Leopard, but I was still running my G4/800 and a Powerbook 1Ghz and the Powerbook was like the bottom of the barrel for Leopard and ran like a dog. Snow Leopard on my first Intel Mac Pro was probably the best time there was.

That update Thursday was atrocious. It wasn't just Big Sur, everything at Apple actually went down that afternoon. The verification server for apps certificates went down, iMessage was down, the Apple Pay/Apple Card stuff was down, etc. I had to re-enroll and un-enroll myself from the beta using the terminal and FINALLY I got the update for it in Software Update. I wasn't able to download the actual Big Sur installer until my THIRD attempt yesterday (after about 1000 Thursday night). The first two attempts still downloaded and stopped with the error message everyone else got, then the last try it finally downloaded and started running the installer.

@ reason108 - yeah all my Waves V11 stuff is still working too. Just about all of my plugins are to be honest. Good news is the MPC stuff seems to be working 100% too even though Akai said dont update. I posted some comments about it in the MPC Live thread. I was syncing Logic and playing Absynth from the MPC all night Thursday even.
Old 14th November 2020
Lives for gear

Worst case you loose a bit of time... Just get a time machine backup and pull that drive once you have it backed up and turn TM to off.

Then upgrade in place see how it goes.. Worst case you can always go back.

So far in my very complex setup i only had to run a few program updates and install the RME "beta" driver off their main page.

So shrug.. YMMV but so far i think everything i tried works..

Full Komplete 13 ULT. Coll ed. and maschine/jam/push2/NI S88Mk2 all seem to work.
Attached Thumbnails
macOS Big Sur (version 11): Share your experiences-a39cd198-730e-4fe4-81a8-32fccd7567ed_1_105_c.jpeg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Absolutely. Like the post above, people really tend to paint them with a nostalgia brush, but as far as Internet forums existed, I don’t remember a single OSX release that wasn’t immediately followed by a boatload of complaints about how broken it is compared to the previous release. Not even the mythical Snow Leopard.
Exactly. Look, I'm not excusing bad OS rollouts. But that's the norm, rather than the exception. I've long ago adjusted my expectations

Apple is part of the problem, however, simply because they push so hard for people to update right away. You have to manually turn off Automatic Updates on a new Mac system. I don't get why they wouldn't want to cut THEMSELVES a little bit of slack, so they're not risking unsuspecting users hating their guts every time a new update gets installed and it sh*ts the bed.
Old 15th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I agree, I think it's a good time to go from Mojave to Catalina but how to do get Catalina now that Bir Sur is out?
Old 15th November 2020
Deleted 94711a4
I'm currently on Mojave on my main music machine and that's working real well, so I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, but when the time comes, I think I'm going to skip right over Catalina and go straight to Big Sur. I've read and heard so many bad things about Catalina, so I'm not even going to bother.
Old 15th November 2020
Here for the gear
I've had a slew of emails from Waves, Native Instruments etc. saying there products aren't officially supported. Although I see some have installed anyway and seem to be okay I have an iMAC 5K (late 2015) which should be compatible. I think safer to wait for the go ahead from third party plugins?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I went ahead and installed Big Sur and 10.6. I figured I'd have enough to play with all the Logic stuff, Zebra 2.9.2 and all the Spectrasonics lovelies and I wouldn't go back to old projects for a while.
Problem was there was no problem. My last project opened up including plug-ins from companies warning me off. I expected lots of crossed slots...Roland Cloud, Arturia, Native Instruments, Izotope (Exponential) reverbs.All working fine.I've read that plug-in windows are an issue but not for me here. Diva was mentioned and that opened up fine. In fact, I went to plug-in manager and everything is saying it passed validation. Now, I'm not running a studio with paying clients breathing down my neck but so far, so good.

Last edited by boojidad; 15th November 2020 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 15th November 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Same as above, running smooth onBig Sur, Logic 10.6. Initial download of Big Sur was a problem. The next day, installed smooth. I waited an hr to let indexing to complete.
Opened Logic Pro and it opened quickly with no plugin scanning. Opened many projects from the last few months no problem.
Old 15th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I decided to watch close which manufacturers are moving their tomatoes fast and make a kind of private rank of them for later rely on.
During these first days it is very clearly visible which producers really think about their customers and reputation. Who are dead or deadly slow. Who writes the programming code in a right way and who is in a clunky way.
I will use this list as a buying guide for future.
For example, as I see for today Reason and Spectrasonics are already compatible. Who would doubt, great companies, great code, fast compatibility. Bravo.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasfera ➡️
I decided to watch close which manufacturers are moving their tomatoes fast and make a kind of private rank of them for later rely on.
During these first days it is very clearly visible which producers really think about their customers and reputation. Who are dead or deadly slow. Who writes the programming code in a right way and who is in a clunky way.
For example, as I see for today Reason and Spectrasonics are already compatible. Who would doubt, great companies, great code, fast compatibility. Bravo.
Exactly my thoughts. Frederik from FabFilter for example already stated that they "are working on native Apple Silicon plug-in versions and are planning to release these soon".

For the time being, I'll be holding back from buying plug-ins or other software from companies that haven't yet announced their plans to release native Apple Silicon versions in the foreseeable future.
Gear Head

Quote:
oh would be great if you'd share such a list with us when it's completed!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes indeed.. Using such events to provide a gut check as to what companies have their act together helps decides how to best thin out plugins with an eye to the future.
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN ➡️
oh would be great if you'd share such a list with us when it's completed!
I think some companies will not show up for another 2 years like Access Virus, SonicFaction, DSi, and most likely Akai and Korg)
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think some of you are missing the main point that I and Metasfera are making: whether the company involved have declared that they have updated for Big Sur or not- they all seem to run. I've just gone through all my Arturia synths (and the painful to look at Waldorf Largo) through Fabfilter's Pro-R and Timeless 2. Lovely as ever. It works. I don't know why. But they do.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojidad ➡️
I think some of you are missing the main point that I and Metasfera are making: whether the company involved have declared that they have updated for Big Sur or not- they all seem to run. I've just gone through all my Arturia synths (and the painful to look at Waldorf Largo) through Fabfilter's Pro-R and Timeless 2. Lovely as ever. It works. I don't know why. But they do.
Same here. Even the one app I have with a completely blank GUI now, still works hah. It's still letting me connect my MPC with MIDI over ethernet to Logic, all is well.. Havent had a chance to fire up Largo or the rest of the Waldorf plugs yet but good to know its still kicking along too.
Old 16th November 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just info for those wanting to update to an M1 arm Mac.
Even though Logic Pro has been ported to the arm processor, if there are plugins inside of Logic that have not been ported to Arm. Logic will need to run in intel mode.
You cannot run arm and intel plugins at the same time.
Some early bench marks do show M1 systems running in intel mode very well, realize that Logic will start, and Rosetta 2 will try to convert everything before opening Logic.
We await first deliveries to see if it’s a nightmare or not.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion ➡️
Just info for those wanting to update to an M1 arm Mac.
Even though Logic Pro has been ported to the arm processor, if there are plugins inside of Logic that have not been ported to Arm. Logic will need to run in intel mode.
You cannot run arm and intel plugins at the same time.
Some early bench marks do show M1 systems running in intel mode very well, realize that Logic will start, and Rosetta 2 will try to convert everything before opening Logic.
We await first deliveries to see if it’s a nightmare or not.
I was told that Logic will indeed run ARM Silicon plugins with ones requiring Rosetta 2 in the same project, side by side.
Gear Head

typing this from my 2015 MacBook Pro (last one before the touchbar era), I wonder if now is the time to order maxed out 16 inch intel MBP before they replace it with the one with M1 chip and my beautiful music production goals become an absolute nightmare...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWNN ➡️
typing this from my 2015 MacBook Pro (last one before the touchbar era), I wonder if now is the time to order maxed out 16 inch intel MBP before they replace it with the one with M1 chip and my beautiful music production goals become an absolute nightmare...
It is what I did last week. Ordered an almost maxed out 16". Bit of a gamble but on balance of things I decided to trust Apple to make OS updates for it for a while.

As for workflow, I just feed in the backup from my old MBP and I should be good to go. If necessary in Catalina, but it looks like Big Suhr isn't any worse. If I had to install everything from scratch that would cost me $$$ in time.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt ➡️
It is what I did last week. Ordered an almost maxed out 16". Bit of a gamble but on balance of things I decided to trust Apple to make OS updates for it for a while.

As for workflow, I just feed in the backup from my old MBP and I should be good to go. If necessary in Catalina, but it looks like Big Suhr isn't any worse. If I had to install everything from scratch that would cost me $$$ in time.
did you get this new MBP because you wanted to upgrade but didn't want to be forced into getting a M1 laptop?
📝 Reply