The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need help diagnosing latency issue
Old 1 week ago
Deleted fce76d4
I need help diagnosing latency issue

Hello all,

I need help diagnosing latency issues with my desktop PC that I use for audio over Ethernet to stream from my PC to my stereo rig.

It is a Dell Optiplex 9020 Quad i7 Tower running windows 10 pro 64 bit (OS-1909).

It has a pretty rockin processor, ( Intel Quad-Core i7-4770 3.4Ghz Haswell CPU), 16gb ram and is using a Dante virtual sound card going to a Dante equipped Radial DAC.

Background: It self updated to the ver2004 operating system a few weeks back and the latency became so bad I backed out the update, but the computer started stuttering, even visually while watching the monitor, so I opted to start fresh.

I installed a brand new Samsung EVO 860 SDD to replace the Micron SDD that came with it

It has all its updates, drivers and BIOS.

I run the Samsung Magician software to keep the SDD in tip top shape and run the trim tool (aka: defrag).

The latency was original good shortly after I installed the new drive and the basic programs I need for internet and audio usage, but has been getting progressively worse.

Also, the Latency Mon program I use shows that different issues are causing the latency to increase.

The latency issues seem to be inside the PC itself, drivers, CPU throttling. Kernels, BIOS etc.(nothing from the Dante sound card)

The latency prior to the 2004 update was so good it barely registered using Latency Mon, now.... it sucks.

I am hopeful that the Gearslutz experts can help me sort this out. I could opt for a new PC, but just because it might be new does not mean it would have good latency figures.

I would be willing to let someone do a remote access so they could see in real time whats going on, or I can provide screenshots of the Latency Mon.

Latency Mon does make recommendations, but I do not know how to do them myself, as I am not super good with the tech end of Windows.

Also, some of the recommendations, (like BIOS update) seem to have been done yet it says there are still BIOS issues...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Try a different soundcard first.

That test tests both hardware issues and driver issues.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted fce76d4
I have three sound cards, The Dante, an Audioquest Dragonfly USB, and the OEM Realtek. The only one of the three that comes back with high latency is the Realtek, which has been disabled yet still shows high latency.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted fce76d4
LATENCY MON SCREENSHOT #1

This is what I need help with. Identifying the issue's and how to fix it.

Each time I run Latency Mon I get different results that need to be addressed, this is the first one, NT Kernel along with a DPC driver routine.
Attached Thumbnails
I need help diagnosing latency issue-latency-mon1.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear