The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope orion 32hd (gen3 2019) vs Avid 16x16 analog
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Antelope orion 32hd (gen3 2019) vs Avid 16x16 analog

Hi,
I have to update my studio and my system HD3 with 2 192 digi converters.
So my doubt is Avid HD 16x16 or the new Antelope Orion32 HD Gen 3.

I need 16 in and 32 out (today 24 is enough for me) and I could connect Avid with one 192.
Avid is 10 years old and Antelope is a newer product...limit can be that there is no aes ebu for Burl AD and Hedd and not perfect compatibility like Avid with PT system (I should buy a Native hd or hdx)

Opinions?

Thank you

Last edited by Hal; 6 days ago at 04:55 PM..
Old 5 days ago
I would always go with a supported system. The Avid HDIOs are great and just work. Bigger, but I'm pretty sure you could get 32io for the same price as the antelope.

I'm not 100% on the support situation on Antelope - too many horror stories. But I've not had to contact them personally.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I would always go with a supported system. The Avid HDIOs are great and just work. Bigger, but I'm pretty sure you could get 32io for the same price as the antelope.

I'm not 100% on the support situation on Antelope - too many horror stories. But I've not had to contact them personally.
Thanx
If I go with avid I ll check in The used market....The new units are too much expensive nowadays for 16 IO
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Thanx
If I go with avid I ll check in The used market....The new units are too much expensive nowadays for 16 IO
I'd definitely look used. I don't think they're particularly overpriced new, but you can definitely get bargains 2nd hand!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

We pulled all of HD I/O's out and replaced them in all of rooms - The Machine rooms in the SSL rooms now have tons of rack space the noise and temperatures went down. We love them - the digital routing is sweet zero issues b/c we are using Avid HD drivers all connected to HDX systems in 6 rooms 14 interfaces!
I would not hesitate due to the fact since 12.6 Avid charges for 3rd part I/O with the Digilink Licenses so Avid has to now support 3rd party I/O because they charge for it now.
oh and I forgot to mention they have 'lower' sample delay so they are tighter than standard HD interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
We pulled all of HD I/O's out and replaced them in all of rooms - The Machine rooms in the SSL rooms now have tons of rack space the noise and temperatures went down. We love them - the digital routing is sweet zero issues b/c we are using Avid HD drivers all connected to HDX systems in 6 rooms 14 interfaces!
I would not hesitate due to the fact since 12.6 Avid charges for 3rd part I/O with the Digilink Licenses so Avid has to now support 3rd party I/O because they charge for it now.
oh and I forgot to mention they have 'lower' sample delay so they are tighter than standard HD interfaces
Are You talking about antelope?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes we pulled all of our HD I/O's and replaced them with 14 Orion HD 32's
I think got rid of about 24 Avid interfaces altogether.
Glad to see the go. I love the Orion's
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes we pulled all of our HD I/O's and replaced them with 14 Orion HD 32's
I think got rid of about 24 Avid interfaces altogether.
Glad to see the go. I love the Orion's
Ok thanx do You think that is a better than avid HD about sound or are they equivalent?
About compatibility no problems with HDX?

About comfort I agree... less space more channels
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

- The Orions sound awesome. pretty much any high end interface made in the last 10 years are all pretty good.
- Lower Latency
- uses Avid HDX driver so no issues there.
- Digital Patching
- Software remote trims
- digital patching Logic Pro into HDX USB interface is nice we have had a couple of occasions to pull an interface for remote job now we don't need to have an HDX system for a remote recording job. Just a laptop and an interface and go.
- Remote interface metering.
- MADI connections
- lower power consumption
- smaller size
- less noise 3 rooms don't have a machine room.
- Economical selling our Avid interfaces and replacing them the Orion's put money in our pockets. ( Cost per channel factor) Avid interfaces are now 10 years old the depreciation curve is coming for them.

all in all there were no downside to the decision. Actually truth be told I was only going to do it in 2 rooms and then a decision was made to just do it in all the rooms.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
- The Orions sound awesome. pretty much any high end interface made in the last 10 years are all pretty good.
- Lower Latency
- uses Avid HDX driver so no issues there.
- Digital Patching
- Software remote trims
- digital patching Logic Pro into HDX USB interface is nice we have had a couple of occasions to pull an interface for remote job now we don't need to have an HDX system for a remote recording job. Just a laptop and an interface and go.
- Remote interface metering.
- MADI connections
- lower power consumption
- smaller size
- less noise 3 rooms don't have a machine room.
- Economical selling our Avid interfaces and replacing them the Orion's put money in our pockets. ( Cost per channel factor) Avid interfaces are now 10 years old the depreciation curve is coming for them.

all in all there were no downside to the decision. Actually truth be told I was only going to do it in 2 rooms and then a decision was made to just do it in all the rooms.
Thanxx a lot
So Can I use It also as a normal audio card?
Mac mini 18 with PT 》usb 3 Orion + plus hardware
How does It works? How is latency?
I could avoid hdx or hd for The moment waiting for some new avid card

Last edited by Hal; 1 day ago at 08:04 PM..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear