The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc.
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc.

Are "wonder plugins" like Soothe, Trackspacer etc. a must these days to be able to compete with the best mixes? Do pro mixers like say Serban Ghenea, Manny Marroquin, Tony Maserati etc. use them?
Old 4 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

You’ll maybe hate this answer but...

Great arrangements from great performers recorded well are essential.

An equal talent is a must.

With these two ingredients in-hand THEN the gear begins to matter.

The material, the talent to shape it, the gear to shape it with. Those matter in that order.

That said:

You named two excellent plugins. But they are not the keys to a new world of mixes that compete with anyone.
Old 4 days ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 

there is no plugin that is necessary or sufficient to produce or compete with an a-list mix.

for every plugin you can name, there is a track that used it and went nowhere, and there is a track that did not use it and was a strong commercial success.
Old 4 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I should know better by now when it comes to phrasing my questions

But now that we have the mandatory "There is no magic plugin, There is no shortcut to success.." gearslutz answers out of the way

Let me rephrase: Do these plugins bring something to the table that you can't do with more "traditional" plugins (eq, mb compression etc.)? If plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc. are able to execute tasks that would be virtually impossible or very inefficient with more traditional tools AND if the fact is that a lot of the top guys use plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc. when mixing current songs, then my guess would be that you'll never compete with those mixes if you're not using those plugins. So, do the pros use these plugins? Do you use these plugins? What do you find it useful for?
I know a lot of bedroom producers are using these plugins - are these plugins shortcuts to stuff sounding decent, but at the expense of something?

Last edited by erike123; 4 days ago at 09:00 PM..
Old 4 days ago
  #5
Gear Head
 

Soothe does something that its very hard to achieve with traditional tools, but that will not transform your mix. It just clean the tracks a bit (it is usually subtle). Many people mix without it. If tou have the budget get soothe or the new dseq.

Trackspacer for me does something that can be accomplish easily with other tools (side chain dynamic eq or compressors). I use scheps omni channel for that, but its not that usual that I want to carve spaces dynamically and I do not see many pros doing it (i started mixing more professionally only recently and in a part-time manner).
Old 4 days ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I’m not in a position to speak to who uses them, but I am experienced with both.

Trackspacer and Soothe are both very well received. In the case of Trackspacer I purchased it. For Soothe I did not.

Soothe I found simply did not live up to its promise for me... you’ll find this a very unpopular opinion. However, I found it to make more of a mess than it was worth to “fix” the issue. It can sound phasey when used with a lot of reductions and simply to minimal to makes difference at settings low enough to minimize this comb/phase issue.

Again, it’s really for when something is poorly recorded IMO... I’d rather use RX or a DynamicEQ. But again, just my opinion.

Trackspacer on the other hand is quite good, though as with anything there is certainly a “too much”.

That said, keep in mind that most of what it solves occurs only when an arrangement is too busy... it’s designed to attenuate overlapping frequencies.

Pan, notch EQ, and automation (simple fader rides) tend to be more traditional solves for this... that and a shared compressor at some point in the chain. These are all things I reach for first.

I do think TS is especially adept at kick/bass relationships if a subtle select-band side-chain is desired (non-pumpy).

Still, I find a basic notch can be fine depending on the arrangement. I’m actually a fan of there being a little melding if kick/bass vs a strong separation because I think it has more weight... but it’s certainly not the case for every track and genre.
Hopefully this is helpful.

If these are interesting plugs to you, I’d make sure you see TDR Nova, Laser, SmartComp (spectral mode), Neutron, and Newfangled’s EQ as some others to explore.

I find these just as useful.

Again, just opinions.
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
You’ll maybe hate this answer but...

Great arrangements from great performers recorded well are essential.

An equal talent is a must.

With these two ingredients in-hand THEN the gear begins to matter.

The material, the talent to shape it, the gear to shape it with. Those matter in that order.
How could anyone hate such stunning and groundbreaking information being shared? This is mindblowing stuff, bro!!!

You know, I've been living under the assumption that if he had only had access to better gear, Justin Bieber's Baby Baby Baby Baby could have been Lennon & McCartney's Yesterday. Only now do I realize that I may have been wrong. Only now do I know that you actually can't turn bad songs and bad arrangements into good ones with gear.

Wow. This changes everything. Who woulda thunk it??? You just changed the lives of everyone posting here, dude.
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Add Melda Production’s MSpectralDynamics to the conversation as well. Very powerful.
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Subjectively yes, those things do bring things that weren't there to be had before them. But for me, they also kind of change the 'thing' that gets created into something somehow different. And maybe more perfect in some ways for sure. But also less interesting and direct. And human.

I still like the sound of 'well recorded, well arranged and not fcuk'd with too much' records best. Especially specific dynamic plugs like the mentioned ones, but also overuse of dynamic eq kind of takes away directness value, too IMO. But it all depends on what the music needs to do and if it makes it more effective then there you go, and I am also old and not trying to compete on today's mixing scene.
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
I should know better by know when it comes to phrasing my questions

But now that we have the mandatory "There is no magic plugin, There is no shortcut to success.." gearslutz answers out of the way

Let me rephrase: Do these plugins bring something to the table that you can't do with more "traditional" plugins (eq, mb compression etc.)? If plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc. are able to execute tasks that would be virtually impossible or very inefficient with more traditional tools AND if the fact is that a lot of the top guys use plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer etc. when mixing current songs, then my guess would be that you'll never compete with those mixes if you're not using those plugins. So, do the pros use these plugins? Do you use these plugins? What do you find it useful for?
I know a lot of bedroom producers are using these plugins - are these plugins shortcuts to stuff sounding decent, but at the expense of something?
I own and use Soothe 2, Trackspacer, and Gullfoss. There is nothing IMO that one can do with these plugins that you cannot do with traditional tools. However, they (can be) big timesavers IMO. Soothe 2 saves me the effort of meticulously notching with a dynamic EQ like FFProQ3, Trackspacer type effects can be achieved with side chained MB compression, and Gullfoss you can correct imbalances in the mix.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I just a have a feeling plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer and dynamic eqs for that matter are shaping the modern mix sound of many records these days. I guess partly because of all the over-the-night successful bedroom producers, artists, DJs, etc. producing and mixing their own stuff hardly knowing how say a compressor really works. - You just put on CLA Vocals, 5 eqs boosting and cutting here and there, a couple of multiband compressors boosting and cutting here and there, and then something like Soothe to "repair" the whole thing. And then Trackspacer to make the 978 tracks in the session kind of work together. And now that has become a sound of it's own
Old 4 days ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
I just a have a feeling plugins like Soothe, Trackspacer and dynamic eqs for that matter are shaping the modern mix sound of many records these days. I guess partly because of all the over-the-night successful bedroom producers, artists, DJs, etc. producing and mixing their own stuff hardly knowing how say a compressor really works. - You just put on CLA Vocals, 5 eqs boosting and cutting here and there, a couple of multiband compressors boosting and cutting here and there, and then something like Soothe to "repair" the whole thing. And then Trackspacer to make the 978 tracks in the session kind of work together. And now that has become a sound of it's own
I will say having all those plugins, that they are not magic, and you can't just slap them around and get good results. I do think they have their place however, but a bad mix cannot be saved with an instance of Soothe and Gullfoss.
Old 4 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
JohnRick's Avatar
We see the world as before and after Gullfoss (BG and AG) for a reason.
Old 4 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick View Post
We see the world as before and after Gullfoss (BG and AG) for a reason.
I already have Soothe 2 - should I consider Gullfoss anyway?
Old 4 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erike123 View Post
I already have Soothe 2 - should I consider Gullfoss anyway?
Totally different plugins. Soothe dynamically notches harsh resonances, Gullfoss “improves mix clarity”, but who knows what the f that means. All I know is that it subtlety improves my mixes about 25% of the time in a few minutes which was worth picking it up for. Honestly tho, it doesn’t work most of the time and I prefer the mix without it.
Old 4 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
How could anyone hate such stunning and groundbreaking information being shared? This is mindblowing stuff, bro!!!

You know, I've been living under the assumption that if he had only had access to better gear, Justin Bieber's Baby Baby Baby Baby could have been Lennon & McCartney's Yesterday. Only now do I realize that I may have been wrong. Only now do I know that you actually can't turn bad songs and bad arrangements into good ones with gear.

Wow. This changes everything. Who woulda thunk it??? You just changed the lives of everyone posting here, dude.
Sweet!

I was worried you wouldn’t have seen the post.

FWIW I typed it more considering what was responsible for all readers vs if this has been said before... and I did a double take when I saw the 10 year badge... I realize the OP probably didn’t “learn” much.

But it’s not just me you or him, and I stand by my response.

I am also hoping you got the joy from your contribution you were expecting to feel.

Please consider the straw man that you have made of my contributions and attempt at supplying a reasonable answer.

No hard feelings, but please consider next time how people get on the wrong side of a conversation when they likely agree.

There are a lot of different levels of experience that read posts like this, and I think some basic disclaimers do more good than harm.

Very sorry if you feel your time is wasted.

I know you probably don’t want to stop and consider the irony of your statement’s own lack of originality...

All good?
Old 4 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Totally different plugins. Soothe dynamically notches harsh resonances, Gullfoss “improves mix clarity”, but who knows what the f that means. All I know is that it subtlety improves my mixes about 25% of the time in a few minutes which was worth picking it up for. Honestly tho, it doesn’t work most of the time and I prefer the mix without it.
Agreed on Gulfoss

Very unique. But sometimes it leads to an “instability” that I find off putting.

But when it works it does something I don’t think anything else even remotely does.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump