The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which MADI interface to buy? RME Madiface XT question
Old 1 week ago
Which MADI interface to buy? RME Madiface XT question

Hi guys, I don't know if this post belongs here, but I have a few questions since I didn't need to use this in the studio ever. If the thread needs to be moved, please do and I apologize about my mistake.

I'm expanding my rig, since I have a lot of outboard that I'm not using (bunch of pre's, 2x la2a, 7x1176, ssl gbus etc), and a lot of synths that are currently not connected to any inputs on my rig.
I currently have antelope orion 32 hd gen.3 as my main interface, and althought I'm not that happy with it (a lot of issues with their software, and the interface is not getting recognized by the computer)- when it's working it works great and meets my needs.

I'm thinking of expanding, or should I say - adding a second orion 32 hd gen 3, and adding the RME Madiface XT to the chain as the main interface. But since the Orion can't handle more than 64 channels of simultaneous streaming to or from the PC, I couldn't just daisy chain them together..

So I was thinking about getting a RME Madiface XT. Would that solve my problems? I'm a bit of a sceptic, since I can't get my head around to how they managed to stream 394 channels at the same time over USB 3.0 connection..
Is the latency high, or am I just an ignorant fool?

Also, I can't get enough info about that thing. How is the latency when recording? Does it even have direct monitoring? How many channels can it really stream over USB 3.0, and at what sample rate/bit depth?

I would get a PCI-e madi interface if I had an empty slot, but my PC is filled with UAD DSP cards

That said, I'm open to all suggestions. If there is a 64 in 64 out usb interface on the market that I don't know of, or if you have any suggestions I would be glad to listen to you guys and consider them (except if the suggestions are switching to MAC, or going AVID, since I'm a PC cubase user for 15 years now). Or even if you have an idea of getting some other 32i/32o interfaces, because to be honest.. I'm a bit fed up with the orion, but the price is still really good considering what it has to offer (sound and connectivity wise)

Also I would be adding a small patchbay to the rig, but I would like most of my gear to have fixed inputs and outputs, because my workflow demands that.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a Madiface XT and 2 Madiface Pro.
Maybe you could give a look to the pro, it already has a full Madistream (optical) + analog ins/outs. USB2.

Fred.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

We have a whole bunch of madiface and madiface XT systems for broadcast use.
I can only say good things about the RME USB systems.
They manage to create a low latency 64 channel system over USB2.

Don't believe the hype USB2 is actually fine for this.
USB3 has more bandwidth than you actually need.

Huub.

Last edited by huub; 1 week ago at 12:39 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatMan View Post

I'm thinking of expanding, or should I say - adding a second orion 32 hd gen 3, and adding the RME Madiface XT to the chain as the main interface. But since the Orion can't handle more than 64 channels of simultaneous streaming to or from the PC, I couldn't just daisy chain them together..

So I was thinking about getting a RME Madiface XT. Would that solve my problems? I'm a bit of a sceptic, since I can't get my head around to how they managed to stream 394 channels at the same time over USB 3.0 connection..
Is the latency high, or am I just an ignorant fool?

Thanks!
No you are not a fool. I had a SSL Madixtreme128 when I was on a mac and that worked beautifully. When I went to pc, I picked a RME madi card and that works great. I'm using 64 analog channels without a hiccup, until recently-not related. RME is rock solid, as the SSL was on mac.
How many channels do you need? If you only need 64 you could pick up some units like the apogee's ad/da or adx/dax for pretty cheap. I picked up a da-16x for $500. Already had an ad16. Added 16 channels for an additional $500 and bought a rosetta 200 for $300. Use the 200 for spidf in and out all connected to 1 Orion. Of course if you need more than 64 channels, another Orion would be the alternative.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Go RME for an interface.

Rock. Solid. Drivers.

Over any type of connection.

I couldn't be happier with my MADIfx and 2x Orion32 Gen1

Herwig
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear