The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good single thread, or multi thread CPU
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Good single thread, or multi thread CPU

Hi guys, I tried searching for similar topics, but they're all too old I think.

My question is, for pro tools and plugins you run in pro tools, are you better off with a CPU with good single thread speed, or with good multi thread speed? Or another way of putting it is, do more cores help you at all much?

And whatever the answer is, does it apply to PT 12 and newer (currently using 12, might upgrade in the near future)?

Thanks everyone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Bump

Does anyone have any insight? Basically, I'm trying to figure out which CPU to get for my next build.

If this has been covered in other threads, my apologies. I did find some but they are older. Hoping to find out if the latest versions of PT have changed etc.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
The more cores the better when handling 'standard plugins'. When handling high demanding plugins is better a higher account of cycles. EG: in my tests an Intel i9-9900K (8cores / 16 threads) performs better most of the times than an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x (12 cores / 24 threads).
Old 3 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

As above. It doesn't matter if you have 32 cores. If one plug in maxes out one core in a spike it's game over.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear