The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multiple PCs, Hardware KVMs, and more modern solutions
Old 1 week ago
Multiple PCs, Hardware KVMs, and more modern solutions

I'll shortly be finding myself in my studio with my own PC, and two separate PCs belonging to two different clients, along with a devkit, and am looking for a more elegant solution to switching between them than unplugging everything from one PC and plugging it in to the other each time I switch between what I'm working on!

My first thought was getting a KVM switch. Plug the monitor out, a USB from each PC and the devkit into such a box and I can easily switch between them. But all KVM switches I can find only have one USB3 channel - will I be ok running a USB hub with keyboard, mouse, controller, webcam, a few dongles and a Fireface all attached, or could I find myself running into a brick wall of technical issues?
If I go this route. think I've found a suitable device with the Aten CS1924 (some other recommendations I found simply aren't available in the EU), anything else I should consider?

However, nowadays in general IT purposes, it seems hardware KVM switches are kind of passe, and remoting in to your additional machines is the typical way of doing things. As I'm sure many of you who've been remoting in to your work machines at the office from home can attest to, this is far from ideal for audio. But then ... with this I'll be on the same local network. Are there options with this method that would potentially not be a compromise for audio performance? I won't be writing music so ultra low latency isn't so critical, as long as the sound is definitely in sync with the video, could this actually be a solution?
But if it can work, would I potentially run into issues even being able to remote in due to my client's stringent security policies on the machines they have lent me?

Be interested to hear if others have been dealing with these kind of issues in lockdown and what solutions they've been able to come up with.

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear