The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cool Edit Pro replacement?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Question Cool Edit Pro replacement?

Edit: I installed CEP on my Windows 10 laptop and it works perfectly...

I've been chopping samples in cool edit pro for almost 20 years. I had to upgrade to Windows 10 & it's no longer compatible.

I can't believe there aren't any basic audio editors (i don't want to open up PT) that offer the same functionality.

I need "save selection as"
I need to preview audio files in the browser

I can't believe Audition still doesn't have these things while CEP had them twenty ****ing years ago. They're all essential to my workflow.

Any ex-CEP users out there know of any standalone software?

Last edited by Bondtana; 2 weeks ago at 01:05 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

wavosaur
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana View Post
I've been chopping samples in cool edit pro for almost 20 years lol.

I had to upgrade to Windows 10 & it's no longer compatible.

You can't "save selection as" while audio is playing in Audition.

Audacity does't have "save selection as"

Both things are imperative to my workflow.

Lol, I'm still using it too after all these years, still works great and is one of the many reasons I stay with win7 pro. What about Adobe Audition which is Cool Edit pro new style?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Audition doesn't let you "save selection as" while you're playing a waveform... And there's no file preview in the browser.

That's a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Bondtana; 2 weeks ago at 04:30 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
How about Audacity?

That's what replaced CoolEdit for it
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

still have it runnig some old pc's... - i went with nuendo.
Old 2 weeks ago
Sound Forge Pro
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been chopping samples in cool edit pro for almost 20 years. I had to upgrade to Windows 10 & it's no longer compatible.
I'm not sure, where is problem, but Cool Edit Pro (the latest version 2.1) is normally working at 64 bit Windows 10.

Quote:

I can't believe Audition still doesn't have these things while CEP had them twenty ****ing years ago. They're all essential to my workflow.
Audition has preview of files in its browser. There is special dockable browser window, where you can open whatever folder you need and it will play or loop as you select it.

https://youtu.be/zLfGyQ1KYY8?t=139

Save selection as is still there.. just mark your range, hit ctrl+alt+s and that's it. It will also automatically increment number suffix at the end of suggested filename. So if you want to quickly save some segment from certain file into same directory, you can just hit the enter in the dialog.
Of course, if you have multiple ranges in one long file, you can also export those in batch fashion via cues like in CEP.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

"I'm not sure, where is problem, but Cool Edit Pro (the latest version 2.1) is normally working at 64 bit Windows 10."

Any time I try to save a file, it freezes.

PS I installed it on my laptop and it works fine. Looks like there is something else going on...

Last edited by Bondtana; 2 weeks ago at 01:06 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any time I try to save a file, it freezes.

PS I installed it on my laptop and it works fine. Looks like there is something else going on...
Hard to say, what's wrong there. I used it at all recent released Windows versions and various computers and didn't experienced such issues.
Honestly it's rather rare situation, when I open CPE, because when I need to some wave editing, it's in Samplitude, RX or so.
I haven't tried everything (like CD burning or exports to something else besides WAV), but bare bones functionality like saving always worked fine.

I'd try to uninstall it, wipe all of its settings from registry (be sure to have serial somewhere) and try it again from scratch.

At 64 bit Windows CEP stores all of its settings to two following registry keys (so I'd delete those before new installation).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Syntrillium\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Syntrillium\

Good luck!

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Acon Digital Acoustica has "save selection as" and a media browser with preview. Overall a nice program, but somewhat buggy/crashy (YMMV).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Edit: I installed CEP on my Windows 10 laptop and it works perfectly...

I can't believe there aren't any basic audio editors (i don't want to open up PT) that offer the same functionality.

I use "save selection as" pretty much every time I use the program.
It's in the file menu.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

REAPER
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's in the file menu.
Not being able to do it while audio is playing is problematic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's in the file menu.
Not being able to do it while audio is playing is problematic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Have you tried using keyboard command in Audition for "Save Selection As"?

I believe its CTRL+ALT+S.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
At 64 bit Windows CEP stores all of its settings to two following registry keys (so I'd delete those before new installation).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Syntrillium\

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Syntrillium\
I found the software works fine, I just couldn't get it to register correctly (I have several copies of the 'cep21reg.exe' reg program).
Comparing reg keys to a W7 install, a bunch of reg keys on HKEY_USER where either not created, or not fully populated with values (as per the W7 install).
Didn't have much luck exporting reg keys from W7 into W10 either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
I found the software works fine, I just couldn't get it to register correctly (I have several copies of the 'cep21reg.exe' reg program).
Comparing reg keys to a W7 install, a bunch of reg keys on HKEY_USER where either not created, or not fully populated with values (as per the W7 install).
Didn't have much luck exporting reg keys from W7 into W10 either.
I'm not quite sure, where is the problem.. 64 bit W7 and W10 doesn't differ in location of keys (HKLM key has to be under Wow64 for 32 bit apps, HKCU is the same for 32 or 64 bit apps), so reg program should access those the same way regardless of Windows version.
As I can recall, there was some difference between CEP 2 and CEP 2.1 in terms of its registration.
Basically there were two different ways. One with cep 2.0 setup and corresponding registration and then update to 2.1.
The other was straight setup of 2.1 with its newer reg program.
In any case, to be able to run 2.1, you needed some calculated number (different from 2.0). There were two string values in registry, one was called number and other was number21 for latter version.
Anyway, registry export of those numbers should theoretically also work.. hard to say, where is the culprit.

Michal
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear