The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are these desktop PC specs OK for the production/engineering work I will be doing?
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Head

Are these desktop PC specs OK for the production/engineering work I will be doing?

Hi folks. Was hoping somebody could confirm whether or not these PC specs will suffice for my purposes.
I'm thinking of buying a Dell OptiPlex 3020 SFF i5-4590 [Quad] 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM with a 128GB SSD.

I use Reaper, mostly with hardware rather than VST instruments when I produce, and when it comes to mixing I don't go overboard with FX either - usually I average out at about 3 VSTs per track. I do want to explore VSTis and sample-based production more though, and I am wondering if these specs will suffice or if I am likely to run into problems further down the line.

Would be grateful for any tips!

P.S I have already considered i7 instead of i5 for CPU, and 16GB RAM, but this pushes the price nearer to 250 USD (or £200 as I'm in the UK) and I'm reluctant to spend that much at the moment.
Old 25th June 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

That's not a hugely powerful CPU. Look for the i7 3930k, obviously it's older but it's hexcore and about x2 the power of that chip, plus it unlocked, meaning you can use a nice intel app to overclock it by quite a lot. You can find them in Dell OptiPlex systems for £200 with really nice motherboards too.

There was a place called encore pc in the uk, where I got that exact thing, there were plenty more too, but the website is down and there's load of talk of people having card fraud committed on trust pilot. Lol.

Anyway, that's really not a strong chip, it might be ok depending on the fx you use. Btw, you can buy cheap ram from CEX, about £20 for 8gb. you can get ryzen 5 laptops for £250 with nearly twice the power of that. Have a loo
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxbooks View Post
Hi folks. Was hoping somebody could confirm whether or not these PC specs will suffice for my purposes.
I'm thinking of buying a Dell OptiPlex 3020 SFF i5-4590 [Quad] 3.30GHz, 8GB RAM with a 128GB SSD.

I use Reaper, mostly with hardware rather than VST instruments when I produce, and when it comes to mixing I don't go overboard with FX either - usually I average out at about 3 VSTs per track. I do want to explore VSTis and sample-based production more though, and I am wondering if these specs will suffice or if I am likely to run into problems further down the line.

Would be grateful for any tips!

P.S I have already considered i7 instead of i5 for CPU, and 16GB RAM, but this pushes the price nearer to 250 USD (or £200 as I'm in the UK) and I'm reluctant to spend that much at the moment.
I would love to know where you're seeing an i7 with 16GB RAM for $250! Black market?

The answer depends largely on how many tracks you expect to have for a given song, but yeah that is probably fine.

btw i7 vs i5 is only part of the equation - at least as important is what the chipset is (3000 series, 4000, etc).
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I would love to know where you're seeing an i7 with 16GB RAM for $250! Black market?

The answer depends largely on how many tracks you expect to have for a given song, but yeah that is probably fine.

btw i7 vs i5 is only part of the equation - at least as important is what the chipset is (3000 series, 4000, etc).
There's a desktop PC going on eBay with those specs which was $250 initially but is now closer to $300.. I didn't see that it was on auction, that's where the low estimate came from!

Here it is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GigaByte-...IAAOSwztRe7N3q

Thanks for this advice. Despite reading a lot over the past few days, I missed the memo re: chipset series. Quick question - is the "generation" of the CPU the same as the series number? So 4th gen = 4000 series? Or do they refer to two different features? Might be a stupid question. Lol.

I'll keep a look out for those specs, cheers!
Old 26th June 2020
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post

Yeah you can get them at those price on the high street.

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=i7...list&inStock=1

Quote:
There's a desktop PC going on eBay with those specs which was $250 initially but is now closer to $300.. I didn't see that it was on auction, that's where the low estimate came from!

Here it is:

Thanks for this advice. Despite reading a lot over the past few days, I missed the memo re: chipset series. Quick question - is the "generation" of the CPU the same as the series number? So 4th gen = 4000 series? Or do they refer to two different features? Might be a stupid question. Lol.

Yep, 4xxx is series 4. Look on CEX, there are some bargains

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?...d-windows-10-c 17 4770/8gb/ssf hp elite

Feel free to just ignore me and waste your money though. lol.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:

Here it is:

OK it's used, that makes quite a diff.

g/l!
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Yeah you can get them at those price on the high street.

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=i7...list&inStock=1

Yep, 4xxx is series 4. Look on CEX, there are some bargains

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?...d-windows-10-c 17 4770/8gb/ssf hp elite

Feel free to just ignore me and waste your money though. lol.
Hey thank you very much for this, I forgot to reply. I have never bought from Cex but this looks good so I'm willing to take a chance!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear