The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you buy a new Mac with Mojave and still run Pro Tools HDX 2020?
Old 1 week ago
How do you buy a new Mac with Mojave and still run Pro Tools HDX 2020?

I want to get a new computer and upgrade to PT HDX 2020.

How do you buy a new Mac with a new OS and then make it 'go backwards' in OS to support Pro Tools HDX 2020?

I called Apple; new computers all ship with Mohave.

I have to buy something used?

6/30/2020 update: Melrose Mac is selling me a new iMac 27 with Mojave 10.14.6, as requested. It's on order.

Peace!

Last edited by Kronos147; 1 week ago at 11:46 PM.. Reason: new information
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

yes. you have to buy something used. i bought a 2018 mbp last year w/mojave on it. actually i could choose the OS.

there are a handful of shops that specialize in used apple products and even offer warranties.

ipowerresale.com for example.

their inventory comes in waves. so, if it seems slim pickings send them an email and tell them what you're looking for.

you could also build a hackintosh. there are many solid build guides for fast powerful intel machines running mojave but you'll have to do your research and of course ymmv etc. but the 'golden' build guides are reliable but even so there's hoops to jump through and depending on what PT hardware you're running you may have a harder time than someone who's running native stuff.

https://www.tonymacx86.com
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Weren't the new Pros released with Mojave. If they wont put it on stock, you can install it yourself, no? But, honestly....do you have possession of the HDX system? A dealer who sells HDX and Apple should send you turnkey system spending $25k....
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
yes. you have to buy something used. i bought a 2018 mbp last year w/mojave on it. actually i could choose the OS.
I'm wrong. Macs are shipping with Mojave. I can use that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Weren't the new Pros released with Mojave. If they wont put it on stock, you can install it yourself, no?
I was told by Apple there is no way to 'downgrade.' As the OS no longer comes on a DVD, I don't know how one re-formats the drive and re-install the OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
But, honestly....do you have possession of the HDX system? A dealer who sells HDX and Apple should send you turnkey system spending $25k....
A turnkey system shouldn't cost that much, unless you get a bunch of interfaces.

I paid for my HDX card and license renewal yesterday, and a Sonnet chassis to install the card. Now I just need a computer. I will use my old interfaces.

I expect my migration to be less than $8000.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
I'm wrong. Macs are shipping with Mojave. I can use that.
yeah.. used macs you can get w/mojave but not a new one. options are limited for used of course

everything on apple's s ite says new macs ship w/catalina. is it possible to custom order one w/mojave via telephone from apple? i'd be surprised if that were the case. please do tell any info on this as i think others would be interested
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
Is it possible to custom order one w/mojave via telephone from apple? i'd be surprised if that were the case. please do tell any info on this as i think others would be interested
I tried to get a quote from Melrose Mac. The have not emailed me yet. I'll drive over there Monday.

Over the phone they said ships with Mojave.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear