The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How can a plugin introduce 0 samples latency?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How can a plugin introduce 0 samples latency?

Hi friends,
i was trying to find out by how many samples my amp sim will increase the round trip latency - guitar to headphones.

I found this chart by waves:
https://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/plugin-latency

If i get this right:
The PRS-Super-Models are said to introduce 10 samples at 96khz. Thats about 0.1 ms ontop of the 2,8 ms roundtrip latency from my inteface

Quite good, also i must say timing feels very solid. (Many years of manic training have made me quite sensitive when it comes to latency, this is the first time i really tried some amp sims)

But i see several plugins that are supposed to be taking 0 samples.
For example the PuigChild Compressor or Abbey Road Reverb Plates.

How is that even possible?

1 sample equals to around 0.01ms. So computation is so much faster that the delay canot be measured in samples?

What am i missing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
1 sample equals to around 0.01ms. So computation is so much faster that the delay canot be measured in samples?
One sample has no time.
Depending on how many samples are made every second you can calculate the time between samples.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Hi friends,
i was trying to find out by how many samples my amp sim will increase the round trip latency - guitar to headphones.

I found this chart by waves:
https://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/plugin-latency

If i get this right:
The PRS-Super-Models are said to introduce 10 samples at 96khz. Thats about 0.1 ms ontop of the 2,8 ms roundtrip latency from my inteface

Quite good, also i must say timing feels very solid. (Many years of manic training have made me quite sensitive when it comes to latency, this is the first time i really tried some amp sims)

But i see several plugins that are supposed to be taking 0 samples.
For example the PuigChild Compressor or Abbey Road Reverb Plates.

How is that even possible?

What am i missing?
That latency listed is latency in addition to the latency caused by the buffer size that the plugin receives. Each plugin continually receives a buffer to full with data. The bigger the buffer (and the lower the sample rate), the more latency there is, and this is out of the plugin's control, as it's determined via DAW settings (buffer size and sample rate). If plugins can keep up with the buffers, they don't introduce any *additional* latency, which is why the plugins you listed are reporting "0 samples". This really means "0 samples in addition to the latency caused by your DAW settings".

Ableton has a good overview of this here (the same concepts apply to all DAW's) - https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/ar...-Latency-Works
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks.
I was indeed trying to point out that any latency introduced by a plugin is additional to that of the drivers at a given buffer size and samplerate.
How driver latency works is very clear to me.
How a plugin can introduce 0 additional latency still isnΒ΄t...

Or are we talking about two different types of buffer? For one, the driver setting, eg 96khz/64Samples - and secondly another buffer feeding the plugin?

Sorry, still trying to wrap my head around this.

Reading through your link now...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Samples are the smallest denominator of time for audio, not for a computer.

96kHz gives you 1/96000th of a second to perform calculations.

A quick google learns me that a 3,46GHz i9 processor has about 166 gigaflops (single precision).
That processor has *ALL* the time of the world to perform whatever DSP you want it to perform in between 2 samples.

Herwig
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear