The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Creative applications of spring sounds and reverb for dance music?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Creative applications of spring sounds and reverb for dance music?

I'm looking to add some "" to a dance track in Logic, and playing around with a few ideas. I figure someone out there has done the same, and maybe we can learn from each other.

The first idea is that I have a series of tuned 808 bass drops where I'd like each to have what is essentially a spring reverb on the attack, but one who's resonant frequency of the spring is tuned an octave or two above the sine wave of each bass drop.

The only way I can think of at the moment to do this is to either go through an absurd amount of automation, or to just run one through, record the reverb, then trigger it as a separate sample always tuned along with the 808.

I want a consistent ADSR, though, so I'd need to do a super long one, then apply the ADSR as it's triggered so the higher pitched ones aren't shorter, etc.

The second idea is that the pitch of the spring sweeps over time to the music. I guess that would just be a matter of automating the reverb size of a spring IR in Ultrabeat so it sweeps over a couple measures. AFAIK, that basically expands or contracts the overall IR, so similar to pitching a sample up or down.

I'd be interested in any other takes on the topic, or any other similar concepts anyone has come across that added a sense of bounce to percussive elements.

Also interested in any tips or tricks from anyone who has just used (or synthesized... especially synthesized) various tuned spring or other y sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, and other websites, about making tracks.

you can process individual tracks, I usually wait until mixing process for master bus reverb.

Logic has a lot of modulation, and reverb effects.
Other plugs can mangle a track like bit crusher.

Make good use of automation.

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Been doing it for 30 years.

Asking specifically here about specific tips or tricks folks have for adding y spring type fx. I've been tuning spring reverbs, but then they're tuned to that note, so looking for alternatives.

I've also been using choruses with some rather extreme settings to cause a very short repeating delay that modulates which gives a bit of a spring sound as well. Again, though, stuck to that one note, so wondering if anyone has come across various ways of doing this kind of thing that are more easily tuned per note. Putting notes into a piano roll is easy. Hundreds of automation moves for various parameters with no obvious correlation to the desired pitches... not so much.

For that reason, it seems I may be better off synthesizing and sequencing the tails vs doing an actual spring reverb, but open to suggestions for any part of the process.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Play around with Logic's Delay Designer, Fat FX and Step FX.

I'm more of a blues, jazz, funk guy, but I've been experimenting with the EDM genre.

I picked up Deep House Templates, vol 1&2 and Logic Channel Strip presets, from Loopmasters.com to gain some insights.

I picked them up a few years ago, they have added more content.

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear