The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please comment the following signal flow (DA converter related)
Old 1 week ago
Please comment the following signal flow (DA converter related)

Hi,

I am using Windows 10 with Bitwig and Cubase 10 and monitor & mix by headphone. Right now, my chain is as below :

PC USB -> Antelope Discrete 4 (Gen 1) and use SPDIF out to Questyle twelve master headphone DAC amp to do the monitoring and mixing. The D4 mainly for AD conversion if I need MIC input. And 95% of time I use my Questyle Twelve to do the monitoring/mixing. And I use lots of VSTs for composing.

Question 1:

In my chain above, what's the role of D4 in this setup ? I am confused. Is the USB signal go thru D4's DA converter and then feed out the digital signal to Questyle 12. And it performs another round of DA conversion and output to my headphone?

In the above chain, I am not sure if the DA converter is doing anything or just do the by-pass job and feed out the digital signal from USB to Questyle twelve.

If the DA conversion of D4 is performing in my case, my plan is I'd like to upgrade D4 to either Pure 2 or Amari, will i have better sound quality ?

Regards!
Piggy915
Old 1 week ago
The Antelope Discrete 4 appears to be an audio interface that has preamps, A - D and D - A conversion, and multiple headphone outputs. The USB is the completely digital connection to and from your computer.

If you're only interested in using the D - A on your headphone DAC then you wouldn't need the Antelope, unless you like the sound of the Discrete 4 D to A converters and headphone output more than your headphone DAC.

As far as how the signal would reach your headphone DAC should you decide to continue using the Discrete 4 as an input device. Your headphone DAC would connect to the digital outputs on your computer. That would probably be USB. Then you would have to configure your computer to feed your sound output to that DAC.

This is probably a post better suited for a different section of the forums though.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear