The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New: Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling: Relevant for DAWs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

New: Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling: Relevant for DAWs?

I saw this article about a new feature of the latest W10 update and I wonder what "latency" exactly this is supposed to reduce and whether it might be the kind that is relevant for DAWs.

https://uploadvr.com/hardware-accele...pu-scheduling/

Does anyone know anything about this? A quick google search didn't bring up a lot of information on what this is supposed to do exactly. A related keyword: WDDM 2.7
Old 2 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

They are referring to gaming performance latency. It's a big deal to some gamers, for instance I have a wireless mouse than only has 1ms latency which is the best possible, they make a big deal of all this stuff. I didn't buy it because of that, I got it because it has pretty lights and some other bits that are useful.

They sell monitors(screens) based on the latency too.

It's not to say it might not help with audio latency. I'll try and check now on my laptop. Looks like I've missed quite a few updates lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
They are referring to gaming performance latency. It's a big deal to some gamers, for instance I have a wireless mouse than only has 1ms latency which is the best possible, they make a big deal of all this stuff. I didn't buy it because of that, I got it because it has pretty lights and some other bits that are useful.

They sell monitors(screens) based on the latency too.

It's not to say it might not help with audio latency. I'll try and check now on my laptop. Looks like I've missed quite a few updates lol.
I'm doubtful this will make any meaningful difference in audio latency. Audio latency is a product of CPU performance, audio drivers, and the OS's audio pipeline. This feature impacts none of that, since it only impacts the GPU and the OS's graphics pipeline.

You're absolutely right though, the gaming world has all kinds of references to latency, and the huge majority of the time, it's not referring to audio latency. Audio latency is not a priority in gaming compared to visual latency and keyboard/mouse responsiveness.
Old 2 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

I was doubtful too, but I thought I'd check. There was some talk of Nvidia cards causing DPC latency a while back, I never had it myself though.

I can't check BTW anyway, I have a dual GPU set up and one is AMD the other is NVDIA so I don't get that option in windows even with nvidia set as default card.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
There was some talk of Nvidia cards causing DPC latency a while back, I never had it myself though.
That's what I was thinking about when I saw this, thought it might be referring to that, since apparently something that the graphics card used to bother the cpu with apparently can be handled by the graphics card itself. I don't have a firm grip on all that stuff, but it seemed like something that could affect DPC latency.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear