The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Orion Studio query - plugins for different models & USB performance
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Antelope Orion Studio query - plugins for different models & USB performance

Query regarding Orion Studio. Am looking at getting one second hand, the latest Synergy model is very pricey here in Australia with the exchange rate (close to $5000).

Query is regarding the plugins you receive. On their website, it seems the plugins you get are a lot more extensive on their older models as opposed to the latest Synergy model.

Orion Studio (pre 2017 model)

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/softwar...?device=106004

It seems you get all their plugins apart from the AFX2DAW

Orion Studio Synergy Core (latest model)

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/softwar...?device=117320

I was under the impression that having the interface automatically gives you access to the plugins, regardless of whether the unit is new or secondhand?

Also, I am using a Windows PC so would be using the USB connection. Are there major limitations in using the outdated USB2 rather than Thunderbolt? Mainly in regard to handling 16 channels out of the Orion into a summing mixer. Essentially, is getting the Orion to use via USB2 limiting the capabilities of the interface by not harnessing the power it could deliver via Thunderbolt?

I currently have an Apollo Twin and am wanting to get into analog summing but there is no way you can have 16 out with just a twin. Also my twin is USB and therefore can't use the Apollo 16 & Twin at the same time due to USB and Thunderbolt not being compatible. Is a pain, because would be so much easier if I had Thunderbolt functionality (my current motherboard doesn't support a Thunderbolt card) but that would mean buying a new motherboard and compatible ram to match the new motherboard etc, which would mean pretty much buying a new PC bar the processor.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear