The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Destined to be a classice or planned obsolescence?
Old 1 week ago
Destined to be a classice or planned obsolescence?

I think I heard the phrase, "destined to be a classic" on some solid state guitar amp review. But I have some skepticism over any hardware where many of the bells and whistles can only be accessed from a computer or an app.

At some point, the gear manufacturer will stop updating their software, your most recent computer system will no longer be compatible with the app and you'll lose all those extra functions and be left with the physical interface, the knobs, on the gear.

I'm trying to plan ahead, future proof gear investments. What's the best way to manage software that has reached its end of updates?
  1. Keep as many old computers around as needed?
  2. Keep an old operating system on an external boot drive or parition and use when needed?
  3. Some other method?
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

You could always just use virtualization to run the older OS inside your current OS in a window. As computers become more and more powerful by standard the whole process becomes more trivial. You could have it set up so you just launch the App by clicking it like a normal app.

It sounds more complex than it is, with VMware I believe you can choose OS version, choose app to be installed, done, then just double click it to launch from then on.
Old 1 week ago
Interesting. I'll have to look into this. Thank you.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear