The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA x8p vs. True Systems/Rosetta 800
Old 24th June 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

UA x8p vs. True Systems/Rosetta 800

Howdy!

I've been quite happy using the True Systems Precision 8 into an Apogee Rosetta 800, but am considering buying the Universal Audio x8p as a replacement/upgrade.

Should I make the switch?

Thanks!

Dusty
Old 24th June 2020
  #2
Gear Addict
 

honestly it's a downgrade in audio quality, BUT if you want to get into the UAD ecosystem and the change in workflow is appealing to you than it would be an ok move. Apollo sounds fine (nearly everything current sound fine these days). Your current rig has greater fidelity.
Old 24th June 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
It depends what you’re hoping to get out of the “switch”. Are you interested getting into the UAD2 ecosystem? Do you want more flavors of preamps than the clean sound the True8 gives you? Are you hoping the Apollo will give you audibly better conversion? Do you need the monitoring tools that the Rosetta lacks?
Old 24th June 2020
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
honestly it's a downgrade in audio quality, BUT if you want to get into the UAD ecosystem and the change in workflow is appealing to you than it would be an ok move. Apollo sounds fine (nearly everything current sound fine these days). Your current rig has greater fidelity.
Rosetta 800 better audio quality then apollo X line? Have you heard the X line D/A?
Old 24th June 2020
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
Rosetta 800 better audio quality then apollo X line? Have you heard the X line D/A?
yes
Old 24th June 2020
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
honestly it's a downgrade in audio quality, BUT if you want to get into the UAD ecosystem and the change in workflow is appealing to you than it would be an ok move. Apollo sounds fine (nearly everything current sound fine these days). Your current rig has greater fidelity.
Thanks, NathanBarley.

I've only wanted greater convenience (everything in one rack space), and thought perhaps the UA X-series newer converters and preamps would be as good as the True/Rosetta 800 setup. My main concern has been that the sound quality would suffer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
It depends what you’re hoping to get out of the “switch”. Are you interested getting into the UAD2 ecosystem? Do you want more flavors of preamps than the clean sound the True8 gives you? Are you hoping the Apollo will give you audibly better conversion? Do you need the monitoring tools that the Rosetta lacks?
Thanks, thismercifulfate.

I'm not too into getting into the UAD2 ecosystem, though I thought it might be cool to have the preamp emulations.

So far, it seems that those who've heard both the UA X8p and the True Systems Precision 8/Rosetta 800 prefer the latter set up for fidelity -- very interesting!
Old 25th June 2020
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanBarley View Post
yes
This is from uadforum.com an opinion on how the two compare:

"IMO, the Rosetta [800] is a good sounding converter, still. X [Apollo Line] is a bit clearer and still musical. It's a bit closer to Symphony, which is a bit more transparent than the "classic" Apogee pieces."

I haven't heard the rosetta, but a over 10 year old piece being better than the X line as far as D/A strikes me as kind of ridiculous considering that was the main selling point of the X line.

I have read instances of people preferring the X to Lynx Aurora mk1, Avid hd i/o and MOTU as far as D/A. So I don't think anyone can confidently say Rosetta 800 is an "upgrade" as far as DA to the X
Old 25th June 2020
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
This is from uadforum.com an opinion on how the two compare:

"IMO, the Rosetta [800] is a good sounding converter, still. X [Apollo Line] is a bit clearer and still musical. It's a bit closer to Symphony, which is a bit more transparent than the "classic" Apogee pieces."

I haven't heard the rosetta, but a over 10 year old piece being better than the X line as far as D/A strikes me as kind of ridiculous considering that was the main selling point of the X line.

I have read instances of people preferring the X to Lynx Aurora mk1, Avid hd i/o and MOTU as far as D/A. So I don't think anyone can confidently say Rosetta 800 is an "upgrade" as far as DA to the X
Thanks, kev1n28.

Yeah, my assumption has been that because the Rosetta 800 is so old, maybe the new UA Apollo X series converters would be an improvement.

I would want to use the X8P's preamps, too, however, so have wondered if the UA X's preamps would be on par with the Precision 8.

I really don't want the UA plug-ins very much, but it's the form-factor of the X8P that's appealing: 1 rack space with preamps, conversion, and an interface. Still, I don't want to sacrifice sound quality at all. I can't seem to find other "high-end" options like the X8P, however.

Thanks again,
Dusty
Old 26th June 2020
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreske View Post
Thanks, kev1n28.

Yeah, my assumption has been that because the Rosetta 800 is so old, maybe the new UA Apollo X series converters would be an improvement.

I would want to use the X8P's preamps, too, however, so have wondered if the UA X's preamps would be on par with the Precision 8.

I really don't want the UA plug-ins very much, but it's the form-factor of the X8P that's appealing: 1 rack space with preamps, conversion, and an interface. Still, I don't want to sacrifice sound quality at all. I can't seem to find other "high-end" options like the X8P, however.

Thanks again,
Dusty
My guess is the x probably would be an improvement over the rosetta conversion wise, but since I haven't used the Rosetta I can't say to a certainty. I think if you're not interested in the plugins and are more concerned with quality of preamps and conversion, the 3200 for an x8p is a lot of money for marginal gains in those areas. Considering your setup is already fairly good I probably wouldn't spend that much unless I was gonna see a real difference, which IMO you'd only find from getting something like a Lynx aurora MK2 and pairing that with some good outboard preamps of some sort. Just my 2 cents.
Old 26th June 2020
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
My guess is the x probably would be an improvement over the rosetta conversion wise, but since I haven't used the Rosetta I can't say to a certainty. I think if you're not interested in the plugins and are more concerned with quality of preamps and conversion, the 3200 for an x8p is a lot of money for marginal gains in those areas. Considering your setup is already fairly good I probably wouldn't spend that much unless I was gonna see a real difference, which IMO you'd only find from getting something like a Lynx aurora MK2 and pairing that with some good outboard preamps of some sort. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks, kev1n28.

Yeah, the x8p is probably too much money if I'm ambivalent about the plug-ins. The Aurora is nice, obviously, but I've been hoping to get a small 1- or 2- rack space size configuration of preamps, converters, and interface. There aren't a lot of options for PCs.
Old 29th June 2020
  #11
Here for the gear
I agree with the folks above. Unless you want to get into UAD2 system, x8p might be a little too much money for what it offers.
From my experience of conversing with many engineers in LA (both records and film), Apogee has the top converters.
Rosetta 800 is still used in many recording studios for its color - yes, it doesn't sound as "clear" or "crisp" as the Symphony's do, but it still offers a unique signature to your sound (let's not forget the Soft Limit on those Analog Inputs!)

If you are truly interested in improving conversion quality, I'd look into units people mentioned above or Symphony MkII (Windows compatible except Thunderbolt).
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump