The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Session Settings, Changing Bit Depth and What it Does.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear
Session Settings, Changing Bit Depth and What it Does.

Hi all,

I just received a Pro Tools session to mix...and after opening I went to the Session settings to find it's a 16 bit/48khz session.

I'm basically trying to figure out if it's best for me to do a "Save Copy In" and convert everything to 24 bit...or...if I simply change the Session Settings Bit Depth to 24 and get to work. I typically work at 48khz...so that's all fine.

I just want to make sure I'm correct here. So, if I change the Bit Depth to 24 Bit within the Session Settings box, this only means that NEW audio, any bounces, or anything I run out through my hardware will be printed at 24 bit...but the original files will stay at 16 bit, correct? If so, that's great.

Also, will my print (summed through outboard and back in) or any ITB bounces I do also be at 24 bit?

Last, does changing the session settings to 24 bit allow all of my plugins and processing to run at a higher resolution, or does Pro Tools do that automatically...?

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
if I change the Bit Depth to 24 Bit within the Session Settings box, this only means that NEW audio, any bounces, or anything I run out through my hardware will be printed at 24 bit...but the original files will stay at 16 bit, correct? If so, that's great.
I believe so. If not then PT should ask you to confirm or whatever. I suppose you could try it real quick by importing one of the files into a new session and just switch the depth and then look at the audio files folder to see if a new file was created.

Quote:
Also, will my print (summed through outboard and back in) or any ITB bounces I do also be at 24 bit?
I believe so. It should record at whatever you've set your depth to.

Quote:
Last, does changing the session settings to 24 bit allow all of my plugins and processing to run at a higher resolution, or does Pro Tools do that automatically...?

Thanks!
If you're running recent PT (anything beyond v10) then everything should run at 32-bit floating point internally regardless of what you store audio at. At least 32-bit float (not sure about 64-bit... but... it's not like it matters that much).
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear