The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Possible to run two different interfaces on windows 10?
Old 23rd June 2020
Possible to run two different interfaces on windows 10?

I run a Pro 40 but I have an Echo Audiofire 12 I'd like to add as additional IO. I'm on PC, so I don't believe I can make an aggregate device like on Mac. Is there a way to daisychain the FireWire or just run them parallel?
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Your pro40 has an ADAT port. You can get another interface that has ADAT and run them together that way. I do that with an Audiofire Echo8 but I don’t believe the Echo 12 has ADAT.
Old 23rd June 2020
Yeah, i already have the AF 12 though, which has no digital IO.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXnotFix View Post
I run a Pro 40 but I have an Echo Audiofire 12 I'd like to add as additional IO. I'm on PC, so I don't believe I can make an aggregate device like on Mac. Is there a way to daisychain the FireWire or just run them parallel?
You can run multiple Echo AudioFire 12's under the same ASIO driver. It's supported and documented in the manual ... 'way down on page-49. I've done that, and ran for more than a year with dual AF12's. Link the wordclock ports together (out/in) and daisy-chain the firewire ports.
Old 23rd June 2020
I know that I can run multiples of the same interface, I'm asking if I can run the Audiofire 12 with the Pro 40.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I know that I can run multiples of the same interface, I'm asking if I can run the Audiofire 12 with the Pro 40.
Sorry that my previous answer was too literal and too narrow in scope.

There is not a way for two different ASIO drivers to be concurrently used within a single DAW as an aggregate device within Windows.

I have done silly things like running two different DAWs within a single Win10, connected to two different ASIO interfaces. The specific case was a Soundcraft USB-attached mixer into Ableton, and a Focusrite 2i2 into Reaper.

I have also unsuccessfully played around with Dante Via as a way of consolidating multiple interfaces into a DAW, but I ran out of time during the effort, so I can't testify to whether its not a way forward.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

You can try ASIO4ALL and enable all interfaces, but your result my vary.
Old 23rd June 2020
All the guides I see for using asio4all have the interfaces connected via s/pdif. The Audiofire is analog IO, no digital.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

No. With ASIO4all, you can see all interfaces connected to any ports/slots and enable them all if you wanted to.

Here I'm using all audio devices on my PC: Novation Xio (USB), Realtek (onboard), AMD HDMI (from GPU card), UA Apollo Twin (USB3) below.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible to run two different interfaces on windows 10?-a4a.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuasalogam View Post
No. With ASIO4all, you can see all interfaces connected to any ports/slots and enable them all if you wanted to.

Here I'm using all audio devices on my PC: Novation Xio (USB), Realtek (onboard), AMD HDMI (from GPU card), UA Apollo Twin (USB3) below.
I've not tried to use this approach. It seems ASIO4ALL is standing on the shoulders of the WDM implementation of each interface, and then presenting that as a single-grouped ASIO resource to the DAW. If that's the case, isn't the channel count limited to the WDM limits offered by the respective driver of each interface? In most of the interfaces I've used, the channel count under WDM is smaller than its corresponding ASIO driver written by the manufacturer.

It seems that the ambition for 6 stereo pairs from the AF12 and the 10 stereo pairs from the Saffire Pro 40 would hit a limit somewhere. I couldn't find any info at the asio4all.org website. What is the limit?
Old 23rd June 2020
I'll give that a shot when I get home from work and report back.
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll give that a shot when I get home from work and report back.
Best of luck using ASIO4all. Hopefully your experience is better than mine was. Ridiculously high latency, loss of sync between devices and random inexplicable drop outs. My expectations were too high I suppose. Im more interested in making music than fighting with software, but for some the trade off is worth it.

p.s. if you are interested in a second Echo12 I have one in storage I’d sell you. I come into the Bay Area fairly regularly (pandemic allowing).
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

I have just found the most heavenly approach to this. I wanted to be able to run (IN MY CASE) 64 bit and 32 bit sequencers at once. Different problem, but the answer is here:

https://give.academy/posts/2018/03/02/AsioLinkPro/

This ruuuuud bway will allow multiple ASIO connections into whatever which way you wanteth. PHENOMENAL! It saved me a couple hundred dollars on VSE Pro and works almost no latency across networks as well... all for FREE by the way.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

There's also VoiceMeeter Banana:
https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

You get lower latency compared to Asio4All, because it can actually use the ASIO driver of your soundcard (unlike Asio4All, which uses WDM). But it's still not as low latency as native ASIO, because it adds some buffers.
I haven't used it for aggregating two different soundcards, but I think it should work.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

To get a working, reliable, predictable solution that you can track and mix on?

No.

You can jerry rig a solution... it might even work! Until it doesn’t
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Yeah, this stuff is kinda hackish and could have problems. Only do it if you have enough time for tweaking and troubleshooting.
📝 Reply