The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best saturation ITB 2020 edition
Old 4 days ago
  #61
Gear Nut
 

Does anyone use Blue Cat’s MB-7 mixer to create custom multiband saturation?
Old 4 days ago
  #62
Gear Addict
Big fan of Softube Tape and the various Soundtoys distortion generators.
Old 4 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
This will explain it all. Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFCqnrNZCg&t=6s
OK wow, this really opened my eyes. Never tried bringing the gain down that much -80 db and then maxing out the preamp drive and input on plugins like this. The saturation really comes through that way! Makes me question why most plugins of this type don't have a knob to adjust the input on the way in so one doesn't have to use a separate gain plugin?

Just tried it with the Burly 73 from Sonimus as well (although it doesn't have quite the same range of DB increase) and again such a creamy saturation!

Thank you!
Old 4 days ago
  #64
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Since we are exploring interesting saturation options in this thread, thought I would mention an interview with Trent Reznor I read where he mentioned he loves to run all sorts of stuff through Echoboy with no echo, just for the saturation. Apparently he used this technique all throughout the recent Ghosts albums.
I'm not Trent Reznor but I do this a lot with Valhalla UberMod in Dark mode.
Old 4 days ago
  #65
Lives for gear
The freshly released MIA Laboratories 413 Tape Saturator is well worth investigating IMHO, I've just completed a pretty great sounding mix using it on my 2buss, and I got there fast.

For some reasons, I dared to push its amp stage a bit (as in, more than what I'd do usually), and the combo of its amp stage / tape sim lead to a dense yet breathing mix, with some super invisible peak shaving.

I'm thoroughly impressed really.

While not comparing their respective tones & feature-sets, I'd say it's on par with ChowDSP's incredible AnalogTapeModel while being as instantly useful as Softube Tape (yet more erm natural sounding and convincing).
Old 4 days ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
The freshly released MIA Laboratories 413 Tape Saturator is well worth investigating IMHO, I've just completed a pretty great sounding mix using it on my 2buss, and I got there fast.

For some reasons, I dared to push its amp stage a bit (as in, more than what I'd do usually), and the combo of its amp stage / tape sim lead to a dense yet breathing mix, with some super invisible peak shaving.

I'm thoroughly impressed really.

While not comparing their respective tones & feature-sets, I'd say it's on par with ChowDSP's incredible AnalogTapeModel while being as instantly useful as Softube Tape (yet more erm natural sounding and convincing).
Interesting! I'm a big fan of Softube Tape and AA Taupe for my tape saturation, so I might take a look at this. I notice MIA also has 3 freebies, FAT, MUSCLE, and THIN. Anyone try those out?
Old 4 days ago
  #67
Lives for gear
I use Softube Tape a lot too (u-he Satin, Goodhertz Wow Ctrl and ChowDSP ATM being the other mainstays here) but avoid AA. 413 Tape Saturators replaced it here gloriously though, hence my enthusiasm.

Beware it's surprisingly versatile (despite the limited param set), so you might have to fiddle a bit before finding something appealing to you.

Type A & B distortion (Tube & Transistor) seem to enhance the dynamic rather than containing it, so I went for the soft-clipping instead (sounded ace on that given tune, I'd never had thought really), pushed it a bit into Tape Type C @ 20%... and magic happened. So I re-made the mix from scratch minutes after, with 413 directly on the 2buss (with Unisum doing its magic first in chain) and got what could be my best sounding mix to date. I'm thrilled, and genuinely surprised too. Not saying I got there solely thanks to a plugin, but I suppose it's a piece of my puzzle I missed.

FWIW, with 413 TS, engage the NAB 2 IEC switch to get close to Softube Tape's Model B @ 30 ips (similar enhancement).

I own their 925 Compressor, which sounds surprisingly real to my ears, but I still struggle to set it in a convincing way (while I've almost immediately gelled with Unisum).

My $.02 / YMMV / yadda yadda yadda etc...

Last edited by nil hartman; 3 days ago at 08:14 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 days ago
  #68
Gear Head
 

Only one of you mentioning Black Box HG-2?

Personally, I still use it but it's a PITA to do so. Might have to check again if I find a replacement that has the sound I'm looking for and is easier to dial in.
Old 3 days ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 

I've the Black Box HG-2, the VSM-3, Softube TAPE, IRON ...

For Mastering work, I have to say that VSM is really a nice, powerful tool ... when needed ... and I
find I can use it more often than I originally thought I would.

It can go very subtle .... to crazy.

It's quite different from the BlackBox ... or the TAPE.

As for 'tape' ... it's a choice between Softube, AcusticaAudio TAUPE, N4/Nebula CDS Tape Library, or even the Waves J37 ...
Old 3 days ago
  #70
Gear Head
 
jBranam's Avatar
decapitator
true iron
ik clipper
jst clip
Old 3 days ago
  #71
Gear Nut
I'm gonna weigh in...

Waves Abbey Road Saturator
Kazrog True Iron
Black Rooster Magnetite
Acustica Taupe
PA Black Box
IK Tapes
Wavesfactory Spectre
WaveArts Tube Saturator (both versions)
Any number of Acustica preamps (name your poison)
Old 3 days ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Reviver and aroma are awesomeness 👌
Old 3 days ago
  #73
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 



Here we go.
Old 3 days ago
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I've the Black Box HG-2, the VSM-3, Softube TAPE, IRON ...

For Mastering work, I have to say that VSM is really a nice, powerful tool ... when needed ... and I
find I can use it more often than I originally thought I would.

It can go very subtle .... to crazy.

It's quite different from the BlackBox ... or the TAPE.

As for 'tape' ... it's a choice between Softube, AcusticaAudio TAUPE, N4/Nebula CDS Tape Library, or even the Waves J37 ...
@ RJHollins
Reelbus for me, rather than Softube Tape. However, I will admit that I stopped looking after Reelbus. I think that I was tired of the hunt.

Am I missing anything?
Old 3 days ago
  #75
AA Celestial - sometimes works for projects. It just depends on the source.
I'm not always a fan of SSL gear for some reason, but when it works it's good.

The tool does have a couple of other nice features that work better more often for me.
Old 3 days ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
@ RJHollins
Reelbus for me, rather than Softube Tape. However, I will admit that I stopped looking after Reelbus. I think that I was tired of the hunt.

Am I missing anything?
Softube has a few 'extra' features that I found interesting/useful.

In no particular order, the High Freq control, and the Crosstalk can, at times, be useful.

Other than that, each of these tape sims have their own sound, texture, and response.

I'll audition several of them to find the best match for the track, and then A/B/C to determine which I'll use.
Old 3 days ago
  #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Softube has a few 'extra' features that I found interesting/useful.

In no particular order, the High Freq control, and the Crosstalk can, at times, be useful.

Other than that, each of these tape sims have their own sound, texture, and response.

I'll audition several of them to find the best match for the track, and then A/B/C to determine which I'll use.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll begin my search again if I ever need to cross that bridge.
Old 3 days ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Quetz's Avatar
No mention of the IK Saturator X?

My go to itb saturation is the drive control in Console 1 but the Sat X is really handy with loads of different modes.
Old 1 day ago
  #79
Lives for gear
 
BezowinZ's Avatar
My favorite effect! My go-tos are:

Softube & Overloud Tape
Soundtoys Radiator & Decapitator
FabFilter Saturn 2
Softube Saturation Knob


I've recently grabbed a few more that I like from limited use:

Kush Omega TWK
Black Rooster Magnetite
Klanghelm SDRR
Plugin Alliance HG-2 & Phil's Cascade
Acustica Audio Celestial (had for a while and keep forgetting about it)


And I may be grabbing in the near future:

Kush Omega A & N
Kazrog True Iron
Plugin Alliance Karacter & VSM-3


I have a handful of preamps & channel strips that I'm learning to use in regards to saturation, without ruining my sound. Much easier for me with saturation specific plugins.

Cool to see others with so many. I thought I was overdosing.
Old 1 day ago
  #80
Lives for gear
 

OK I know I listed my top saturation plugins in the first post, but I just bought Omega N on sale from Kush today, placed it on every track in a mix and gently dialed in the knobs, and oooooooooh. Loved it and can't wait now for the next project to test further.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump