The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying an old Mac to Run Galaxy - Is there a better solution?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Buying an old Mac to Run Galaxy - Is there a better solution?

I'm really not sure where I should be asking this question because there are some followup questions that I will most likely have depending on how this goes but I figured this would be a good place to start.

The Issue:

I have some outboard and synth gear that is not all that fun to program from the front panel (example - TX-81z, M1, DRV-3000, SPX-90, etc...) that I like to use.

Some of this gear is so old that .midnam files aren't even available in ProTools.

As much as computing has moved forward since the 1990s some things have been left behind. Galaxy is one of them.

In the old days I could boot up Galaxy, pull all my devices patch names out, edit them, rename them, shoot them back into the hardware and save a copy on floppy in case I went to a different place.

As someone who remembers studying the Ultimate DX-7 guide book and creating programs via front panel I really loved the idea of a patch librarian and editor.

I've tried Cherry Picker, which does naming, and have never had much luck. I bought the MOTU Unisyn years ago and it never worked right. Galaxy was perfect.

I'm thinking of buying an old Mac (like a Performa or one of the Classics) and looking for a copy of OMS for it and getting a couple Studio 4s and using this machine just to create and store patches.

Is there a modern piece of software that I'm not knowledgable about that will do this? I know for a long time hardware went out of favor but it really seems like these days a modern librarian would be a fairly popular thing.

Anyway, that is my first question. I have a few others if anyone is doing something similar.

Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear