The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP! Crackling- NOT the buffer size
Old 2 weeks ago
HELP! Crackling- NOT the buffer size

Crackling started months ago and has only gotten worse.

I've increased the buffer size all the way up, updated drivers, tried both firewire and multiple USB interfaces, CPU and Ram both below 10% usage, both Nuendo and Acid Pro do it, no mic/line ins plugged in - Nothing seems to work.

This all on a PC using interfaces I've used in DAWs, in all cases, for years. I've tried it where the only thing new is my phone and held my phone a few feet from the monitors and still gives me trouble.

PC: Win 7, AMD Phenom II x4, plenty of RAM.
Phone (in case that somehow turns out to be why its worse now): Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Mogami Gold ยผin to XLR Mackie MR5 monitors (Dont hate, theyve served me well a long time and that's what my ears are tuned to now).
Trier it on Audiobox, AB22VSL, and Tascam FW1082.

What have I not tried?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It could be something related to your motherboard, or some bios settings.

Have you tried to update motherboard drivers, or maybe roll back to previous drivers (sometimes old drivers work better).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkoRome View Post

I've increased the buffer size all the way up, updated drivers, tried both firewire and multiple USB interfaces, CPU and Ram both below 10% usage, both Nuendo and Acid Pro do it, no mic/line ins plugged in - Nothing seems to work.
Mogami Gold ยผin to XLR Mackie MR5 monitors ...

What have I not tried?
Is this analogue or digital Crackle ?

I assume you've taken the monitors out of the equation ? (headphones...).

What about phone-charger ?

(DJ's girl friend plugged in her phone onstage at the club, big show, well known DJ, unaware of the phone on stage, and I was WTF happened to the sound ? The one and only time I took a job to oversee setup for a big name DJ - had to be on my toes that night...)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

This all on a PC using interfaces I've used in DAWs, in all cases, for years. I've tried it where the only thing new is my phone and held my phone a few feet from the monitors and still gives me trouble.

PC: Win 7, AMD Phenom II x4, plenty of RAM.
Phone (in case that somehow turns out to be why its worse now): Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Mogami Gold ยผin to XLR Mackie MR5 monitors (Dont hate, theyve served me well a long time and that's what my ears are tuned to now).
Trier it on Audiobox, AB22VSL, and Tascam FW1082.

What have I not tried?
Is it phone interference or actual audio crackling?

The two have completely different causes. "Crackling" is a specific sound (to most people).

If it's actual audio crackling, have you tried running latencymon to see if it kicks out any likely culprits?

If it's phone interference, turn your phone completely off and see if you still hear anything. Same with any other cellular or bluetooth equipment in the room.

My iPhone can cause noise in my monitors even if the PC is completely off. Nature of the beast.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
The bios/motherboard drivers are the same ones they've always been, unless the computer repair shop (that I sent it to when a stick of DDR3 stopped working and killed my system for a bit) updated stuff after I told them "this computer serves a very specific purpose. It doesn't go online. Do not mess with anything that's not directly responsible for causing the computer to be down". They did run an anti-virus, so I suppose its possible, since that was clearly against what I told them.

I ran an error check for the first time in awhile. I still had a few clicks here and there but it was significantly better after I ran it. However, I cant say for sure that it wasn't a fluke or that I just did something else different I didn't realize. Also, my whole troubleshoot was kinda in vain because I realized afterward that my phone was also at the other end of the studio, where I was working on building the new booth, the entire time.

Anyway, the bios thing might be right or not far off so, I have a friend who works at the computer shop down the street. I need to put my dual monitor video card back in, maybe max out the RAM, switch from my quad core to 6 core, and have the 7-port USB3.0 PCIe card added... so maybe I'll just throw them some money to do it for me and send an interface with it so they can solve or rule that out.
I appreciate the help.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
The bios/motherboard drivers are the same ones they've always been, unless the computer repair shop (that I sent it to when a stick of DDR3 stopped working and killed my system for a bit) updated stuff after I told them "this computer serves a very specific purpose. It doesn't go online. Do not mess with anything that's not directly responsible for causing the computer to be down". They did run an anti-virus, so I suppose its possible, since that was clearly against what I told them.

I ran an error check for the first time in awhile. I still had a few clicks here and there but it was significantly better after I ran it. However, I cant say for sure that it wasn't a fluke or that I just did something else different I didn't realize. Also, my whole troubleshoot was kinda in vain because I realized afterward that my phone was also at the other end of the studio, where I was working on building the new booth, the entire time.

Anyway, the bios thing might be right or not far off so, I have a friend who works at the computer shop down the street. I need to put my dual monitor video card back in, maybe max out the RAM, switch from my quad core to 6 core, and have the 7-port USB3.0 PCIe card added... so maybe I'll just throw them some money to do it for me and send an interface with it so they can solve or rule that out.
I appreciate the help.
Phone interference sounds very different from buffer underruns.

Maybe record the cracking (through your phone mic, lol) so we can hear it? At a minimum, it'll help you know what to tell your PC guy.

This is the sound of phone interference. It varies a bit, but has a specific character:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINQNedOxM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYyrS7fc7g

Pete
Old 1 week ago
You're right. Its been a long time since I heard phone interference (not since way back when I switched from AV40s to MR5s) so I guess I'm just grasping at straws.

I checked again when I woke up and its not quite as bad as it was but its making its return.

This is a home studio in my basement but its far from a typical home/basement studio. I'm currently building a "soundproof" booth and ordered a ridiculous amount of upgrades & additions so this issue is a major problem for me right now. Everything will be perfect quality and a scratch on a new Bentley stands out more than one on an old Honda.... so im kinda freaking out about it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
You're right. Its been a long time since I heard phone interference (not since way back when I switched from AV40s to MR5s) so I guess I'm just grasping at straws.

I checked again when I woke up and its not quite as bad as it was but its making its return.

This is a home studio in my basement but its far from a typical home/basement studio. I'm currently building a "soundproof" booth and ordered a ridiculous amount of upgrades & additions so this issue is a major problem for me right now. Everything will be perfect quality and a scratch on a new Bentley stands out more than one on an old Honda.... so im kinda freaking out about it.
Well, when you have new information (recording of the sound, whether or not you also hear it through headphones, etc.), folks here can try to help.

Until then, it's a bit vague to be able to diagnose.

Pete
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

What activity are you doing when you hear the crackling? Is it always in the same place when you listen or different places each time in the track. Any chance youโ€™re just tracking too loud?
Old 1 week ago
Thanks for the responses. Its not a tracking issue. Its most noticeable while using a DAW (Nuendo/Acid Pro/StudioOne) during playback, but Ive also heard it less often/intensely while playing MP3s/WAVs in media player. It was at its worst when I had my Tascam FW1082 running as a control surface BUT its also there when the 1082 is off and it being worse with it on last time could be just a matter of chance, as it's intensity is more/less from one time to the next.

What's the preferred way to upload the audio. I can turn everything on and try to record it while I'm working on my new vocal booth some more today, if its bad enough again today.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Its not a tracking issue. Its most noticeable while using a DAW (Nuendo/Acid Pro/StudioOne) during playback, but Ive also heard it less often/intensely while playing MP3s/WAVs in media player. It was at its worst when I had my Tascam FW1082 running as a control surface BUT its also there when the 1082 is off and it being worse with it on last time could be just a matter of chance, as it's intensity is more/less from one time to the next.

What's the preferred way to upload the audio. I can turn everything on and try to record it while I'm working on my new vocal booth some more today, if its bad enough again today.
You can attach an mp3 to your post here if you don't have a place you'd normally upload those to.

Pete
Old 1 day ago
I ordered an Alesis MasterControl (Firewire) and Apollo Twin Duo (USB 3). I hooked up the MC and suddenly my playback (in media player anyway) had zero clicks. Unfortunately something started making my PC shutdown everytime I tried to open Nuendo after installing MC and running it as my interface so fml.
I haven't gotten the Apollo registered because it won't relaunch the UA website after restart when I install/reinstall during registration for the millionth time. I have a feeling, however, that when I get Apollo registered and running as my interface (connected to my new USB 3 Pci card) it'll work without clicks (fingers crossed)... but we'll see about that.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear