The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Catalina have any positives?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does Catalina have any positives?

Upgrading (?) to a MacBook Pro 16 means I am forced to run Catalina.

So far it means I have had to sell a Powercore 6000 and Compact as they will no longer run under 32 Lives.

I have had to spend $240 upgrading Waves plugs to v11 (they worked fine as v9 on Mojave).

Several plugin manufacturers are yet to issue updates in order to run on Catalina.

So other than costing me money and losing plugins I loved, my Catalina Mac seems to be indistinguishable from my Mojave Mac in terms of functionality. Are there any benefits for a musician/producer?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
Are there any benefits for a musician/producer?
Nope.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Nope.
:(
Old 1 week ago
Definitely don't do it. it's buggy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
As a professional software dev for 20+ years, I can assure you there are numerous advantages for keeping up with operating system tech. . .and I stay as close to that edge as my critical software applications allow. DAWs and audio interface drivers are notorious lagers that push back on the viability of keeping OS versions at [or sometimes even near] the latest release.

OS enhancements generally include improvements in performance, security, functionality, maintainability, integrations and user experience. All of these categories are important to me. At some point, of course, old tech gets deprecated and support is dropped. The same forces apply to pretty much all popular operating systems [Apple iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux].

Of course, everything has its cost. For me, trying to stay on old tech is way too expensive for where I want to go.

Not a deep reply as to the importance of one functional point vs. another. Apologies. The amount of energy I am willing to spend here is limited.

You will find deltas available between versions published by Apple in your case. . .same of other OS and application vendors.

My advice is to stay as up to date as you can, or run down the specific deltas yourself and make certain you personally understand them.

Regards,

Ray H.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler View Post
Definitely don't do it. it's buggy
I've got no option unfortunately, MacBook 16's won't run on Mojave.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Catalina positives? Sidecar. No more iTunes.

2018 Mini under Catalina 10.15.5 and LPX 10.5.1 is solid for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Catalina positives? Sidecar. No more iTunes.

2018 Mini under Catalina 10.15.5 and LPX 10.5.1 is solid for me.
Do you use an iPad as second screen for Logic?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmanzie View Post
Do you use an iPad as second screen for Logic?
Used as third screen for Logic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can positively add to Apple's Net Operating Income
Old 1 week ago
Well I have some old stuff that is crossed out that doesn't run (some old games and some tools to work with old synths/samplers) but other than that, no negatives really. Im having to right click and open stuff more often but whatever. Just replaced my Mojave 2010 Mac Pro with a Catalina Mac mini 2020 a few days ago and it just picked up where it left off smooth as could be.

I just gotta figure out a way to convert samples into EMU and MPC banks now, but there's always Virtual Box and more old stuff to try there..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I liked Snow Leopard the best.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

go for the 16 inch. i had to upgrade a few months ago when my 2011 started tanking and i couldn't trust it on remote gigs anymore.

i had to reup my waves and my protools liscence... it was expensive. but the machine smokes and is more powerful than my studio tower at this point
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear