The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone Know Why Recorded Audio is Delayed when Using Apogee Symphony mkii?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone Know Why Recorded Audio is Delayed when Using Apogee Symphony mkii?

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out this problem. I contacted Apogee Support last week for a different issue and never heard back from them, so I figure maybe someone here can help.

I’m using Logic 10.5.1 on a Mac with Mojave. When going through Symphony’s AD, it records the signal into logic with about a 50ms delay lag - meaning it’s not latency, it’s physically putting the waveforms late after it’s recorded to audio. Obviously this is a big problem. I tried repairing disk permissions, factory resetting the unit, turning off firewalls - the unit is updated to the latest firmware. Anyone ever have this issue and what did you do to resolve it? Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Is there a delay when monitoring through Logic?

Can you post a screen grab of your audio settings page(s) in logic- is there a "compensate for record path delays" option to tick or something?

Can you try it in another DAW (even garage band) to see if the issue is interface or Logic related?

Got another computer you can try it on?

Connected via USB?

Err...that's a starting point!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Is there a delay when monitoring through Logic?

Can you post a screen grab of your audio settings page(s) in logic- is there a "compensate for record path delays" option to tick or something?

Can you try it in another DAW (even garage band) to see if the issue is interface or Logic related?

Got another computer you can try it on?

Connected via USB?

Err...that's a starting point!
There is very little delay with the small buffer setting (64) when monitoring the signal. Much less than the recorded delay. All your other points are good advice, I’ll dig in with them tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the guidance!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
There is very little delay with the small buffer setting (64) when monitoring the signal. Much less than the recorded delay. All your other points are good advice, I’ll dig in with them tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the guidance!
No worries - it's all about isolating the issue!

I suspect there's something in the Logic settings regarding delay.

"The big “Recording Delay” slider may be prominent, but it’s usually best left alone - it’s really there to compensate for an interface’s audio driver that causes the recorded audio to be positioned a little off-time (later or earlier than it was actually played) when the recording is done. Normally, this shouldn’t happen, but if it does occur, you can compensate here." (read on another blog post)

Is this doing anything for you at the moment? has it been knocked to a large amount?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
No worries - it's all about isolating the issue!

I suspect there's something in the Logic settings regarding delay.

"The big “Recording Delay” slider may be prominent, but it’s usually best left alone - it’s really there to compensate for an interface’s audio driver that causes the recorded audio to be positioned a little off-time (later or earlier than it was actually played) when the recording is done. Normally, this shouldn’t happen, but if it does occur, you can compensate here." (read on another blog post)

Is this doing anything for you at the moment? has it been knocked to a large amount?
OK so I pretty much narrowed it down- I tried recording in Garageband and it worked fine. The issue is with Logic - I just updated to 10.5.1 this week along with the brand new Symphony, and I was recording a track from a previous project created several months ago on Logic 10.3. There must be an issue when going from the old Logic to the latest version because when I open a brand new project in Logic, there is no delay. Either the old project is corrupted, or it's an issue with all previous projects from the old version. I'll have to open some more files from the past to test that theory however I'm up and running. Thanks Psycho Monkey!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also want to point in ut, bcuase logic is so unique this way....if you have a latent plug in on a BUS....and you e disabled it? Your recording timestamp will be off by however much that disable plug is reporting it needs in latency. So, put a Greg Wells Mixcentric on say your drum bus, disable it....and record a guitar track, that guitar track will be “misplaced” by 70ms on playback, and forever in its origin timestamp. So, could be that project had a latent but disabled plug in on a bus somewhere. Not a track....only happens if its on a bus (which includes the master bus).
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear