The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAC MINI 8th GENERATION vs MAC PRO
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear

Depends completely on economics. If you’ve got lots if bread buy the biggest and baddest. If you want to save a few bucks and still have great performance get a pimped out mini. Either one will play your software. I got the pimped mini and I’m glad for two reasons. If I need more juice for virtual orchestra I’ll get another. In the meantime I wait for the ARM chip.
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Before you get too emotional. Do you really think there is going to be an Arm based Mac Pro in 9 months? And a Mac Pro you buy today is going to stop working in 9 months? They going to have take baby steps into this change.

I guarantee you that Intel based Mac Pro users will be on Gearslutz posting about how they are still using 2019-20 Mac Pro’s in 10 years time.

Change hey, you’re dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t.
I am very relaxed, no emotions while wrote my comments at all.
I see the situation from different perspective. Is 3559 Euro for i7-8700 or 7599 Euro for 8-Core machine in 2020 too much? What is included in those 2500 or 6000 Euro, you pay just for Apple branding?

1. Exclusive warranty? No, just 12 months, 50% less then common standard
2. New technology? No, it is outdated technology based on parts discontinued far before you even buy it
3. Outstanding performance? No, as today performance standard is in different league
4. Long-term compatibility? No, Apple's last baby steps gave Power PC users just 3 years of full OS X compatibility (OSX 10.5 was the last OS)
5. Best OS for creative content making? Probably yes but in audio production, most of multi-platform DAWs work better (faster and stable) in Windows and there are many satisfied professionals and music enthusiasts that work with audio on Windows machines as well

I guarantee you that 3599 Mac Mini or 7599 8-Core Mac Pro purchased in 2020 will loose serious amount of value shortly after first Apple ARM platform release and be sure that those Mac Mini 2020 users posting in 2030 will be using 8 years old version of OSX and 8 years old version of Logic with no chance to update either of them.
Old 25th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
I guarantee you that 3599 Mac Mini or 7599 8-Core Mac Pro purchased in 2020 will loose serious amount of value shortly after first Apple ARM platform release and be sure that those Mac Mini 2020 users posting in 2030 will be using 8 years old version of OSX and 8 years old version of Logic with no chance to update either of them.
So we can count on 8 years of solid stability without having to change the OS every year?? Sounds great to me, that's why I buy Apple's..
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
So we can count on 8 years of solid stability without having to change the OS every year?? Sounds great to me, that's why I buy Apple's..
I think that this information is not included in any of my post
Old 25th June 2020
Quote:
I am very relaxed, no emotions while wrote my comments at all.
I see the situation from different perspective. Is 3559 Euro for i7-8700 or 7599 Euro for 8-Core machine in 2020 too much? What is included in those 2500 or 6000 Euro, you pay just for Apple branding?

1. Exclusive warranty? No, just 12 months, 50% less then common standard
2. New technology? No, it is outdated technology based on parts discontinued far before you even buy it
3. Outstanding performance? No, as today performance standard is in different league
4. Long-term compatibility? No, Apple's last baby steps gave Power PC users just 3 years of full OS X compatibility (OSX 10.5 was the last OS)
5. Best OS for creative content making? Probably yes but in audio production, most of multi-platform DAWs work better (faster and stable) in Windows and there are many satisfied professionals and music enthusiasts that work with audio on Windows machines as well

So I think what you’re saying is. If you’re in the market for a new Mac, wait a couple of years and buy a Arm based Mac?

Or

Just don’t a Mac, switch to Windows?

Or

Apple should drop the price on their current Macs to price you find acceptable until they replace the whole range with Arm based Macs?

Or

You’re not actually making any points at all. You just don’t like Apple?
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I think what you’re saying is. If you’re in the market for a new Mac, wait a couple of years and buy a Arm based Mac?

Or

Just don’t a Mac, switch to Windows?

Or

Apple should drop the price on their current Macs to price you find acceptable until they replace the whole range with Arm based Macs?

Or

You’re not actually making any points at all. You just don’t like Apple?

First of all, is there anything in my post that is not true?

And ok, I did not write any conclusion. I recommend building hackintosh
Old 25th June 2020
Quote:
First of all, is there anything in my post that is not true?

And ok, I did not write any conclusion. I recommend building hackintosh
To be honest I didn’t read the details because I’m the type that wants to buy a computer set it up and to the most part forget about it. Use it to make my music as much as possible till it dies and then buy a new one.

Now, I know Windows has drastically improved (I use one for my day job) but I’ve been on Macs since Windows was not reliable for music production and Macs absolutely we’re better and I just cannot be bothered to change (especially as a life long Logic user). Nor do I want the extra responsibility and work of managing a Hackingtosh machine. Especially with all the peripherals I have attached... way too much risk of inviting problems.

So my point is I know there are plenty of users similar to me, who just know and accept that computers are utilities and buy the latest, get the most out of it and then get the next one.
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be honest I didn’t read the details because I’m the type that wants to buy a computer set it up and to the most part forget about it. Use it to make my music as much as possible till it dies and then buy a new one.

Now, I know Windows has drastically improved (I use one for my day job) but I’ve been on Macs since Windows was not reliable for music production and Macs absolutely we’re better and I just cannot be bothered to change (especially as a life long Logic user). Nor do I want the extra responsibility and work of managing a Hackingtosh machine. Especially with all the peripherals I have attached... way too much risk of inviting problems.

So my point is I know there are plenty of users similar to me, who just know and accept that computers are utilities and buy the latest, get the most out of it and then get the next one.
I understand fully. Hackintosh definitely needs more attention and some basics to learn. My current machine is working absolutely perfect including sleep, USB3 etc. I am not a hackintosh master and it tooks me a day to do it completely.

Another option is buying secondhand Mac of previous generation and save money. Those prices in first post are just way to high to me.
📝 Reply