The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
27" iMac i5 vs i9?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

27" iMac i5 vs i9?

Thinking of possibly grabbing a 2019 27" iMac, but not sure whether to get the i5 or i9 configuration. Obviously the i9 is better, but it's much, much more expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using the i5 currently for audio? Is it still pretty fast and capable for Logic, plugins, etc? Regardless of that, I'll be getting 32GB of ram and SSD as well.

Also not sure I want to wait for the 2020 iMac, since I'd like to avoid the T2 chip if possible.
Old 2 weeks ago
i5 is good for mobile devices since it consumes less power, but you give that up in processing capabilities. For an iMac or Mac Pro, I'm not sure it would make much sense. When I spec'ed my new 2019 MBP it was several hundred $ more for the i9 but those extra cores will come in handy over the life of the system.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
about an 18% bump in price to get an 8 core i9 - If you plan to keep the machine for any length of time you should get the i9. Buy the memory from a third-party (32GB is about $150) and turn your iMac into a 40GB beast. Not getting Apple memory will save you enough to afford the CPU upgrade.

I am thrilled with my new iMac - 8-core i9, 1TB SSD, 40GB RAM - very nice - *very* fast...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'd go for the i9 too. Matter of fact, I got a bit pissed off browsing the different configurations available because an i7 would've been ideal for both my needs and my wallet, and I'm sure they know this when they leave that option out. I think their strategy is for most people to think "Hmm...i5, not really. I'd better go for the i9 to be sure." If the i7 was an option they might have sold way less i9's. But anyway, i9.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies. i9 seems to the way to go. But tbh I'm feeling kinda doubtful over the last day or so about throwing down some serious $$$ on an expensive iMac due to all the problems people seem to be having with the T2 chips and/or Catalina.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascension9 View Post
Thanks for the replies. i9 seems to the way to go. But tbh I'm feeling kinda doubtful over the last day or so about throwing down some serious $$$ on an expensive iMac due to all the problems people seem to be having with the T2 chips and/or Catalina.
I hear you! That's why I'm reading up on PC's for my next investment. After years of Apple.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
about an 18% bump in price to get an 8 core i9 - If you plan to keep the machine for any length of time you should get the i9. Buy the memory from a third-party (32GB is about $150) and turn your iMac into a 40GB beast. Not getting Apple memory will save you enough to afford the CPU upgrade.

I am thrilled with my new iMac - 8-core i9, 1TB SSD, 40GB RAM - very nice - *very* fast...
Doesn't this void the warranty on Apple stuff? How to you install the third party RAM?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
Doesn't this void the warranty on Apple stuff? How to you install the third party RAM?
In the 5k model I believe you won't void the warranty.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
User accessible door on the back of the iMac - doesn't void warranty - really easy to do
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Casanovas View Post
I hear you! That's why I'm reading up on PC's for my next investment. After years of Apple.
What are you using right now?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I work on a 2016 Macbook Pro 15" i7 16gb Ram.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear