The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini or iMac
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Mac Mini or iMac

I’m currently using a 2011 Mac mini and its starting to make a little noise. I think the Hard drive is going. Anyway, I have a opportunity to get a new 6 core i5 iMac with 16 gigs of ram and a 1TB SSD drive or a 2020 Mac Mini with 16 gigs and 1TB SSD. Which way should I go? I use Logic, a first generation UAD Apollo, have a full suite of Izotope plugins ozone 9 neutron 3 etc. and various plugins Scuffham amps, easy drummer. Do mostly home studio stuff. I just used a mini for 9 years so this a decision I’m going to live with for a while.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM Stew View Post
I’m currently using a 2011 Mac mini and its starting to make a little noise. I think the Hard drive is going. Anyway, I have a opportunity to get a new 6 core i5 iMac with 16 gigs of ram and a 1TB SSD drive or a 2020 Mac Mini with 16 gigs and 1TB SSD. Which way should I go? I use Logic, a first generation UAD Apollo, have a full suite of Izotope plugins ozone 9 neutron 3 etc. and various plugins Scuffham amps, easy drummer. Do mostly home studio stuff. I just used a mini for 9 years so this a decision I’m going to live with for a while.
Wait until after Apple 2020 WWDC Keynote this coming Monday. Rumor of possible new iMac(s) announcement.

Last edited by fastlanephil; 2 weeks ago at 08:12 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm in a similar position although I need 32gb RAM. I've been comparing various different models and I think the Mac Mini is best bang for buck, even if it requires an additional monitor purchase, which probably will not be nearly as nice as the 5k (although maybe you're talking about the 21.5").

The more I read into it, the more difficult it becomes. The latest rabbit hole I'm sent down into is that the 2020 Mac Mini is in fact the 2018 model with a different standard size ssd. The Coffee Lake chips are around three years old, I believe and there are, supposedly, way better alternatives out there.
With regards to the iMac, it would've been perfect if the 5k version ships with i7. I don't want to spend that type of money for a configuration with an i5 and I certainly can't motivate the price of the i9. Apple know this, they know that the i7 with 8gb RAM that people would upgrade to 32/64 by themselves would be the most perfect configuration of all for most people, so they won't let us choose it.

Another thing are the rumours about the new processors. Some say they might announce something about it on the WWDC like previous speaker said.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Casanovas View Post
Another thing are the rumours about the new processors. Some say they might announce something about it on the WWDC like previous speaker said.
And if this DOES happen, unless you're married to the Logic environment (and use nothing else), its gonna be awhile before any of your software is available for them.

Just got an i7 Mini to replace my 6-core 2010/12 Mac Pro on Thursday, this thing is great, except for the stuff that's now crossed out and won't run on Catalina at all. Finally get to fire up Logic Pro today and see if my projects that started choking after updating to 10.5 play without overloading now heh.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
And if this DOES happen, unless you're married to the Logic environment (and use nothing else), its gonna be awhile before any of your software is available for them.

Just got an i7 Mini to replace my 6-core 2010/12 Mac Pro on Thursday, this thing is great, except for the stuff that's now crossed out and won't run on Catalina at all. Finally get to fire up Logic Pro today and see if my projects that started choking after updating to 10.5 play without overloading now heh.
What stuff doesn't run on Catalina for you?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascension9 View Post
What stuff doesn't run on Catalina for you?
Well Logic itself and all of my plugins are ok.. But everything I used to convert samples into banks for my MPC and EMU isn't compatible, my Blofeld editor/librarian too. I have some other little things but its nothing show stopping or related to music work, mostly old stuff its just time to let go. A lot of the stuff I initially thought was going to be gone just needed to be right-click+opened.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unsure if you updated the Mini to Catalina or if it came with it pre-installed. If the latter, you can downgrade it to Mojave.

I just did this recently with a new Mini due to my interface not supporting Catalina. Might be worth doing that to run some of your other software.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Unsure if you updated the Mini to Catalina or if it came with it pre-installed. If the latter, you can downgrade it to Mojave.

I just did this recently with a new Mini due to my interface not supporting Catalina. Might be worth doing that to run some of your other software.
What's the process of doing this on a brand new mac? I'm thinking of grabbing one, and would rather have Mojave.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascension9 View Post
What's the process of doing this on a brand new mac? I'm thinking of grabbing one, and would rather have Mojave.
It only works on the 2020 Mac mini I think.. Its still the 2018 Mini (it even says so in System Profiler), which was released before Catalina came out, it initially came with Mojave. Apparently on the 2020, you have to boot into Recovery and disable some sort of secure boot thing?? Then it will let you boot from a USB installer and install Mojave. Haven't tried it myself, no need to for now, my Catalina test run is going good. A new one will be here in a few more months anyways might as well just ride this out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It only works on the 2020 Mac mini I think.. Its still the 2018 Mini (it even says so in System Profiler), which was released before Catalina came out, it initially came with Mojave. Apparently on the 2020, you have to boot into Recovery and disable some sort of secure boot thing?? Then it will let you boot from a USB installer and install Mojave. Haven't tried it myself, no need to for now, my Catalina test run is going good. A new one will be here in a few more months anyways might as well just ride this out.
I don’t think you can install Mojave on a 2020 Mac mini, even if you change the security settings and enable external boot. In my experience, you cannot install an OS version that is lower than a particular model shipped with when it was first released.
If someone was able to do it, I would like to see it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
I don’t think you can install Mojave on a 2020 Mac mini, even if you change the security settings and enable external boot. In my experience, you cannot install an OS version that is lower than a particular model shipped with when it was first released.
If someone was able to do it, I would like to see it.
Come round any time.

The 2020 Mac Mini IS the 2018 Mac Mini. Identical machine. The only change is the doubling of the included SSD.

As mentioned above, once you enable booting from external media, you can boot off a Mojave installer. That’s what the Mini shipped with originally when released so the drivers required are in the OS.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2018 Mini user here. I love the Mini (was using a 2012 Mini Server before) and it runs great.

Haven't upgraded to Catalina on it because I'm on PT Ultimate and using UAD, Eventide, Waves and Soundtoys and don't know if they're all compatible yet. Once PT is I'll go have a look at that.

Quiet, takes card cage well and runs like a champ. Plus I can pick what monitor I want to use, which is a big deal to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
2018 Mini user here. I love the Mini (was using a 2012 Mini Server before) and it runs great.

Haven't upgraded to Catalina on it because I'm on PT Ultimate and using UAD, Eventide, Waves and Soundtoys and don't know if they're all compatible yet. Once PT is I'll go have a look at that.

Quiet, takes card cage well and runs like a champ. Plus I can pick what monitor I want to use, which is a big deal to me.
Pro Tools is already officially supported with macOS Catalina. Although if you work with video, some file formats are not supported.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would always hesitate to go with computers with integrated monitor.

The monitor breaks, you send in the entire computer including your data. And backup before turning it in might not work so well if the monitor is broken.

And you cannot keep your nice monitor when you want to upgrade the computer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm running a maxed i7 2018 Mini here, and it's fabulous. I haven't been able to make it break a sweat yet, and it sounds like your workflow & resource demands are fairly similar to mine. It's whisper-quiet (I have it right on my desktop about a meter from my ears, and I never notice its fan), and so far rock-solid. I would also +1 the previous comments about the flexibility advantages of a modular setup.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post

The whole Soundtoys bundle, the Eventide H3000 Factory/Quadravox/Band Delays, and all my Waves plugins work fine here.. Was worried about the Waves ones initially, but my WUP was still active last year when Catalina was released so at some point I got the updates for it before WUP ran out back in March. :D
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Pro Tools is already officially supported with macOS Catalina. Although if you work with video, some file formats are not supported.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The whole Soundtoys bundle, the Eventide H3000 Factory/Quadravox/Band Delays, and all my Waves plugins work fine here.. Was worried about the Waves ones initially, but my WUP was still active last year when Catalina was released so at some point I got the updates for it before WUP ran out back in March. :D
Thanks so much!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
I would always hesitate to go with computers with integrated monitor.

The monitor breaks, you send in the entire computer including your data. And backup before turning it in might not work so well if the monitor is broken.

And you cannot keep your nice monitor when you want to upgrade the computer.
On the other hand, in the case of the 5k iMac, its almost like getting a computer for free just by buying the monitor. 5k displays that match the quality of whats in the iMac aren't cheap. And frankly, at least in my case of having the i9 iMac, I won't be needing to upgrade in a long time.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear