The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thunderbolt wilderness on the PC
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thunderbolt wilderness on the PC

I need a Thunderbolt 3 card for my PC. In the midst of this current crap shoot in Australia, I ordered a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge pcie card for my GB Z390 mobo. Of course, there were none of these available. So I bought an MSI one. When I get home, I find that the header cable for the MSI has more pins and will not fit into the header socket on the Z390. What is this? You mean every manufacturer made their own socket? Of course, there are none of the GB cards available near me. I paid - wait for it - AU$185 for a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter because according to Presonus, it's one of only two that works. Add this to $100 for the TB3 card and you can see why people buy Macs. Has anyone here actually got Thunderbolt working on the their PC? How much did it cost and was it worth it?
Old 2 weeks ago
js1
Lives for gear

Yes, I got Thunderbolt running on my PC. But I bought a motherboard that had Thunderbolt 3 built in (connector on back panel, no header card required). I, too, had to buy a Thunderbolt 3->2 adapter (Startech). Interface is Presonus Quantum.

There is no standard for Thunderbolt header cards, unfortunately. You'll need the Gigabyte one.

After reading about all the problems people had, I was pleased and somewhat surprised that everything came up first shot and has been running solid since.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutstudio View Post
I need a Thunderbolt 3 card for my PC. In the midst of this current crap shoot in Australia, I ordered a Gigabyte Alpine Ridge pcie card for my GB Z390 mobo. Of course, there were none of these available. So I bought an MSI one. When I get home, I find that the header cable for the MSI has more pins and will not fit into the header socket on the Z390. What is this? You mean every manufacturer made their own socket? Of course, there are none of the GB cards available near me. I paid - wait for it - AU$185 for a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter because according to Presonus, it's one of only two that works. Add this to $100 for the TB3 card and you can see why people buy Macs. Has anyone here actually got Thunderbolt working on the their PC? How much did it cost and was it worth it?
Just so you know - the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge card is an old model. The current Gigabyte card is the "Titan Ridge" card.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought the GigaByte Designare board which has built in TB3. I have it connected to a Presonous Quantum 2626 TB3 interface and it runs fine. No problems. FWIW I left everything in BIOS stock.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have had the Asus T3 card for 18 months or more ... works fine for me ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I bought the GigaByte Designare board which has built in TB3. I have it connected to a Presonous Quantum 2626 TB3 interface and it runs fine. No problems. FWIW I left everything in BIOS stock.
I also built a minitower with that board and the 9900k.

Works fantastic with 2 RME cards + daughter boards in an Akitio Node Duo.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutstudio View Post
The TB cards are generally motherboard (or at least manufacturer)-specific, as you've found out. Although some may work, they're not really generic cards like a video card. Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't do a great job pointing this out.

Getting TB3 set up takes a few steps and drivers, but once done, lots of folks have had success with it. We had initial TB support in the Fall 2015 release, but have fixed some TB bugs over the years, so be sure to run a recent version of Windows 10.

Oh, and be sure to put the video card into the correct slot. Not all PCIe slots on the motherboards support TB3. It should indicate which in your manual.

Pete
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear