The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Batch converter (Wav to CAF)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Batch converter (Wav to CAF)

Greetings !

Hope all's well.

I am looking for a Batch audio converter , from WAV or any format to CAF & Aiff , to be used in Logic Pro X.

Did some digging with little success, DSP Quattro seems to do the job, but would like to see if there are better options available.

Thanks in advance.

Peace
JY
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZN View Post

WAV or any format to CAF & Aiff , to be used in Logic Pro X.
But...Logic Pro X already takes WAV?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What will be benefit of that? WAV is already supported in Logic.. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13018?locale=en_US or I'm missing something.

WAV is nowadays almost universally compatible audio format. It seems like best choice for keeping audio files, because you (or anyone else) can open that in almost any software regardless of platform.
CAF is universal container format (like Quicktime MOV files), it can have different codecs inside (including lossy AAC).

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks Both for the swift responses,

My understanding is (stand to be corrected), if i want to use my 3rd party samples and loops (mainly in Wav), to have the best experience using these 3rd party files within Logic, i will need to convert them into Aiff and CAF , to benefit from using Apple Loops from Logic itself, its like how Logic treats its own factory loops and samples.

Sure, i could just drop the Wav file into Logic and save it as an Apple Loops into Logic's library, i am sure this process will covert the Wav file into Apple's format, but its gonna be a painful process as i have thousands of samples. With a Batch converter, would be much easier.

Stefano from DSP Quattro responded with some info on batch conversion, see image he shared below, but its will set me back 99$.

P/S - Happy to explore if theres a better solution for the above.

Peace
JY
Attached Thumbnails
Batch converter (Wav to CAF)-unnamed.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's bit more complicated than that with loops and samples as opposed to standard audio clips.

Likely what you're referring to is called Apple Loops. It's special flavor of AIFF format with some added metadata about particular sample or loop.. (eg. tempo, music length, key, time signature, additional tags etc.). It is used for built-in sounds in Logic library or Garage Band and also some vendors sells their content in this format specifically prepared for those DAWs.

There are similar formats, which are used by other DAWs.. like Recycle format (.rex, .rx2 or so) or so called ACID WAVs, which is similar to AIFF with added metadata.

However it's not easily possible to use whatever file converter with AIFF output to convert anything to Apple Loops. Even if input audio clips would have similar metadata, most of programs can't cope with that and translate that to format required for Apple Loops.
So while audio data will be converted, metadata will be essentially wiped out during the process.

Apple used to have old app called Apple Loops Utility. It's still downloadable with Developer Account, but it's from 2009 and doesn't run on latest macOS versions (IIRC latest system was Sierra, from that onward it miss framework required to its run). This tool could be used to prepare Apple Loops from other formats including Acidized WAVs.

Part of its functionality is built into Logic Pro X. You can drag audio regions from project to loop browser and add desired metadata. Also if you already have ACIDized wavs or REXs, you can drag them from Finder to loop browser, in this case it will become untagged loop, which can at least have info about its original tempo and length.
That's what you've already mentioned.
For completeness there are actually few more ways besides dragging from Finder.. it's summarized there.
https://www.cre8musicacademy.com/wha...d-music-loops/

So if you have bunch of loop WAVs, you can try this process. It doesn't make much sense to batch convert them using any generic conversion app to CAF or AIFF, you won't gain anything by that move itself. Contrary to that, the app used for conversion might wipe out useful tempo data, which Logic can use, if you open original WAV directly.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just to add one note.. It seems, that Loop Editor from (closed) Audiofile Engineering has options to prepare Apple Loops. I've never used it personally, but maybe there were some options for batch conversion (although you'd likely still need to manually add certain data to make that proper Apple Loop).
All products from Audiofile Eng. were recently adopted by Zynaptiq
https://www.zynaptiq.com/macaudioapps/
Their first step was, it's available as update (compatible with Catalina etc.) for existing owners of Audiofile products, so I can assume, they will also sell those again under Zynaptiq brand for any new users.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Just to add one note.. It seems, that Loop Editor from (closed) Audiofile Engineering has options to prepare Apple Loops. I've never used it personally, but maybe there were some options for batch conversion (although you'd likely still need to manually add certain data to make that proper Apple Loop).
All products from Audiofile Eng. were recently adopted by Zynaptiq
https://www.zynaptiq.com/macaudioapps/
Their first step was, it's available as update (compatible with Catalina etc.) for existing owners of Audiofile products, so I can assume, they will also sell those again under Zynaptiq brand for any new users.

Michal
Thanks Michal,

I have read in Apple forum abt the Loop Editor, but the discussion was more than 7 years ago and users have been having challenges contacting the people behind the App and now you shared, its with Zynaptiq , Thanks for sharing : )

Re metadata - Good to know batch conversion is not the solution to my needs and will explore Cre8music , Much Appreciated Michal !

Peace
JY
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi and you're welcome. Good luck with loops and samples!

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you use logic 10.4 and above you can add any wav file to the untagged loops to play them back in sync like apple loops.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear